Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Not sure where to put the fireplace
jeannie1953
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Not sure where the best place would be to build the fireplace. Should we go with the west outside wall(cathedral ceiling side?) or the south inside wall. I am worried about possibly too much betting sun coming in if we put on south wall and put lots of windows on west outside wall any thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
If you put the fireplace on the South inside wall you could do a double fireplace and have one in the master bedroom, which would be fabulous.
February 19, 2013 at 7:01AM     
Christal
I like LizaJanes idea, that sounds awesome!!
February 19, 2013 at 7:05AM   
wmpj
If it's on the South inside wall, it can be viewed from the dining room. Where do you want to put a tv and how do you want to arrange the furniture?
February 19, 2013 at 7:12AM   
jeannie1953
Tv above the fireplace
February 19, 2013 at 8:11AM   
Lizabeth
It looks like you have a Cathedral ceiling with the peak running West to East. Do you want a fireplace and stone mantel running to the top of the peak or do you want the fireplace on the shorter wall on the south? I think you will have more drama if you center it under the peak of the cathedral ceiling.
February 19, 2013 at 8:25AM     
jeannie1953
Yes, that is what we are thinking. I think it would look really awesome to have a stone fireplace going all the way up to the peak. Wanted to get some thoughts on it; Always nice to get other ideas and opinions.
February 19, 2013 at 9:29AM   
Jayme H.
I vote for the cathedral wall for the dramatic effect!
February 19, 2013 at 9:31AM     
jeannie1953
Loving all these ideas and comments. The fireplace in the master would be great too. But, we wouldnt have enough room for our furniture if we did that. But,. great idea.
February 19, 2013 at 9:42AM   
PRO
B R Nelson Designs LLC
HiJeannie -I alsovote forthe "cathedral wall". It would also make a statement and a strong focal point when you enter the house from the foyer
February 19, 2013 at 9:52AM   
Lizabeth
Yes I think that will look good, I do like your floorplan, kitchen with both island and pantry. You have good sight lines. House will live bigger than sq footage if you plan well and furnish well. Have fun.
February 19, 2013 at 10:04AM   
jeannie1953
Wow. Am loving these comments, as its hard to picture this house. I am a visual type person. But we knew what we were looking for in a floor plan. Hope it will be everything I am wxpecting. What are your thoughts on the two linen closets. One in the ensuite a d one just before going into the walk in closet. I just added that, but am not 100 percent sure about it . It was an after thought. I did t think the linen closet int the ensuite would b e big enough.
February 19, 2013 at 10:09AM   
Jayme H.
U can't go wrong with extra storage..espec. if u have kids...blankets, sheets, towels, etc!!!
February 19, 2013 at 10:11AM   
jeannie1953
No kids. But, I don't want to be sorry that I didn't get more space for linens, towels,etc. I lost my other linen closet at the front of the house, just out side the front bathroom, so I could get my walk in pantry.
February 19, 2013 at 10:16AM   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree this is a great floor plan, the only thing I would change is the garage door going through the laundry area instead of straight into the foyer. Also voting for fireplace along the west wall.

February 19, 2013 at 10:18AM     
Christal
You will love a big walk-in pantry.
February 19, 2013 at 10:18AM     
architectrunnerguy
I'd go with it on the south wall and don't think of the fireplace as an isolated element. Integrate it with shelving, etc. Here's a house we designed, just finished and similiar to your plan but we went with a two island kitchen and located the dining and kitchen more to the rear so the kitchen related well to both rooms. I've included the plan so you can see what I'm talking about (but barely given the photo size here!!)

Maybe it's just me but the "fireplace going up to the peak of a cathedral ceiling" look seems a little bit dated,

Also, we opened up the wall between the hall and the living room. Your's won't be as cleasn since the laundry room door is then revealed but you might consider that anyway.
February 19, 2013 at 10:22AM     
rabeer
I would keep the plan as is in regards to the door from the garage. It is impossible to keep an entrance from the garage clean. You would not want to drop clean clothes on a dirty floor. I think you would be happier keeping the laundry as it is.
February 19, 2013 at 10:23AM   
DIAspoton
my house was a resale so i didn't have the choice.
my fireplace is in the center of the outside wall . i've always wished the bldr had put it on the interior wall for 2 reasons. a double side into the bedroom and i'd love to have 3 sets of french doors across the back of the house.the room would feel larger and lighter.
February 19, 2013 at 10:27AM     
PRO
Rustic Brick and Stone
My initial vote would be for the west wall with cathedral fireplace (classy look). Second vote would be fore a see-thru linear for the bedroom/great room... if you don't mind the window ;). Or perhaps, for a real out-of-the-box idea... why not do a fireplace on the west wall corner with the covered patio and do one indoors and one out? Not sure how it would work with the cathedral ceiling though - I'm not an architect.

Gas Fireplaces

Isokern Fireplaces

Custom Fireplaces

Town & Country
February 19, 2013 at 10:34AM   
judianna20
With the fireplace on the inside wall, you will be able to have a double-sided and that is lovely, indeed. Maybe Dy can chime in on this, but a fireplace on an inside wall takes up a lot of space….a lot. So, if that is an issue, put it on the West wall. I just worked with a client who did just what I see on your plans…the wood burning fireplace was on the inside wall, and backed up to the bedroom. It was a mistake. Took feet from the living room and feet from the bedroom.

Another comment, I hate West light. Windows always look dirty, floors look dusty and the heat from the Summer sun is brutal. So, for me less windows on that side works.

You didn't mention (unless I missed it) whether this is a wood burning or gas fireplace.
February 19, 2013 at 10:45AM     
PRO
Keating Studio
I'd place it on the west wall between the windows. It depends on the style of the architecture and furnishings, but be careful with a full height fireplace facade....it can be overwhelming. Using materials that are the same color as the surrounding walls makes it a little less imposing and brutal. I'd prefer seeing a well done fireplace surround and mantle to a full height option. The full height stone fireplaces always look so "lodge-y" and impose upon the room in a way that predisposes it to limited design options for the remaining wall space. I like the idea of creating a nice cozy hearth on the west wall, then doing a bult-in w/tv and storage on the south wall and arranging the furniture so it will accommodate both cozy conversation around the fireplace and media viewing. Putting TV's above a fireplace is rarely successful since they have to be placed so high....unless you have a sleek, modern, low fireplace.
February 19, 2013 at 10:51AM     
jeannie1953
I don't think a fireplace in the cathedral ceiling is dated. Des anyone else think that.
February 19, 2013 at 10:55AM   
architectrunnerguy
Hey Jeannie. As I said that's just my personal opinion. Sorry you focused in on that in lieu of everything else I said.
February 19, 2013 at 10:58AM     
jeannie1953
Sorry...but that is what I focused on... Lol.
February 19, 2013 at 11:04AM   
PRO
Ole Fredrickson & Son
The idea of putting the fireplace on an interior wall is fantasic- but also an added cost. Place your furniture in the bedroom and see if it will work. You can still have a focal point on the west wall with brick/stone from the fireplace. The tv can sit on the mantle (matching the see thru fireplace)
February 19, 2013 at 11:10AM   
PRO
Keating Studio
Jeannied1953 I tend to agree that it's a "vintage" look....best suited to a lodge or rustic setting. I've helped clients modernize their full ht cathedral ceiling fireplaces by furring out and dry-walling/painting. It's a cleaner less imposing look that works well with any decor. I prefer a really well designed fireplace surround or a sleek, modern, simple installation.
February 19, 2013 at 11:10AM     
judianna20
The picture Dy posted isn't dated, but care was taken when choosing the stone and wall paint. I think what was mean't by "dated" was that 80's look that can happen when the wrong product is used. jeannie, you have seen that look and I'm sure you would not let that happen. This is an example of one of my least favorite and dated looking fireplaces.

February 19, 2013 at 11:14AM   
PRO
Keating Studio
My only concern about the two-sided fireplace on the south wall is that of privacy. Think about it. ;)
February 19, 2013 at 11:19AM     
jeannie1953
The fireplace will be gas. My brother in law is a bricklayer and he suggested going with the fake stone look. Says it is much less costly to build and looks fabulous without having to pour a concrete base. Maybe should just go with a traditional fireplace with some stonework...not all stone. My goodness...this is hard.
February 19, 2013 at 11:20AM   
PRO
Lindsey Neumann
I agree with the west wall placement. You don't have to use stone or brick to the ceiling unless that is the look you are going for. You can use a custom built in surround with painted wood/trim or stained to match the rest of your decor. Putting the fireplace on the west wall gives the best options for furniture as well. Also other places for the tv if the mantel is too high for it.
February 19, 2013 at 11:20AM     
jeannie1953
Or no stone?
February 19, 2013 at 11:23AM   
PRO
Rustic Brick and Stone
My only suggestion regarding your last post... stay away from manufactured stone. As a supplier of both natural and manufactured stone, I can honestly say that you will likely be displeased with choosing the manufactured stone. We have a variety of natural thin veneer stone that is just slightly higher in cost than manufactured stone but looks 10 times better. Natural stone will last longer (won't fade or scratch), will look better, and resale value is much greater for natural stone. Especially if it's a smaller area, I would recommend spending a little more to get a much better look.
February 19, 2013 at 11:25AM   
Lizabeth
Jeannie,

I don't think it is dated. Do take your time and build an idea book of fireplace mantels, various treatments. One of my favorites was done in stone on the bottom and a painted wood mantel and almost a type of shaker panel painted wood for the chimney instead of stone above. Sorry I don't have a photo. It was a simple and timeless look and it coordinated with the lines of the doors and cabinets.

And take all of our advice with several grains of salt. Everyone has their own opinion.

You will need to think about the floors, doors, window trim and everything else in that room to get it right.

And western sun can be brutal. You will save by putting a direct vent fireplace on exterior wall. the comments about saving floor space are true. you can punch the fireplace box outside if you don't want to give up floor space.
February 19, 2013 at 11:29AM   
jeannie1953
Judyg. I hate west light as well. My home I live in now is situated the same, with great room to the west. I hate tha west light and forever dirty windows. That's why I was thinking of changing the fireplace to the west wall. But, now I am confused...lol.
February 19, 2013 at 11:30AM     
jeannie1953
I love the town and country fireplace someone posted.
February 19, 2013 at 11:32AM   
Christal
We put a tv above our fireplace and I don't think it's too tall. Our ceiling is probably 12 or 13' tall. Also used cast concrete and just sheetrock with a faux finish. I love it, I was looking for something different, not your traditional stone. Also it's a gas fireplace.
February 19, 2013 at 11:33AM     
jeannie1953
It's going to be a 14' cathedral ceiling
February 19, 2013 at 11:37AM   
jeannie1953
Very nice christal
February 19, 2013 at 11:41AM     
Anna Rafdahl
DEFINITELY ON THE WEST SIDE WALL, NOT ONLY FOR DRAMATIC EFFECT ON THE CATHEDRAL PEAK BUT ITS THE FOCAL POINT IN THE ROOM WHEN YOU ENTER FROM THE FOYER...YOU CAN HAVE NICE TALL WINDOWS ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FIREPLACE. ALSO LOOKS VERY BEAUTIFUL WITH TALL DRAPES OR SOFT CURTAINS FRAMING THE FIREPLACE. :)
February 19, 2013 at 11:44AM     
PRO
Keating Studio
The town and country fireplace is lovely...in a rustic, country setting. That's the key...the architecture and furnishings have to support it or it can be overwhelming. I like the less boxy design of that fireplace too...narrowing above the mantle is def a more updated approach. Have fun with it...only you know the architectural style, setting, and ambiance you're going for....a set of plans is all we have access to so this conversation is based on little more than personal preferences and space planning options. Still, I agree that the west wall is your best option for a number of reasons, spatially and aesthetically. Have fun with it Jeannie1953! :)
February 19, 2013 at 11:45AM     
Christal
There are so many decisons to make when building a home. My advise would be to make choices that you and your husband will love. I love love the cathedral ceilings, they are beautiful. I probably looked at the Houzz site thousands of times to get ideas and inspiration. Very helpful site. Your home will be beautiful. Have fun.
February 19, 2013 at 11:48AM     
Lizabeth
Jeannie,

This is a great site full of photos and opinions but if this is your first custom or your last I think finding a local designer who Listens to You and guides you is paramount to getting the home you desire. Designers have access to products and can sometimes prevent problems before they occur.

There are simply so many choices to make that the process can be daunting. I had one friend who is an ASID designer married to an engineer and it took years for them to design a fireplace mantel.

Find a good local seasoned professional. Do build an idea file as visual language works best in these situations.
February 19, 2013 at 11:55AM     
judianna20
jeannie, I put my gas fireplace on my West wall. I did the double sided, as my dining room is on the other side, not my bedroom (Keating Design :>) . I wish I could show you a picture of what I did, but camera is not working. I can show you a pix of the fireplace I helped my boss do at a local resort. I'll see if I can find it. We put this (I think) interesting tile around it…..

The tile is a basket weave, honed, neutral….I am not saying you have to do this, but there are so many wonderful tiles you can use to make your fireplace special. In our very first home, built in 1913, the owner had a quarterboard inscribed with " LIFE WAS MADE FOR LOVE AND CHEER". It came out of a book of favorite poems he and his wife loved. In my last house I had a tile made to fit in with the other tiles on the surround and it was of Cape Cod. When they fired it, I had them put two little stars on…one to locate the town we were coming from and one to mark the town we were moving to. Kind of a joke, as my husband was not familiar with Cape Cod and couldn't figure out where he was. http://www.wequassett.com/rooms#/room/1746977
February 19, 2013 at 1:46PM