powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I hate this kitchen - how would you fix it?
Sara Mayman
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I hate this gray kitchen, but don't have enough money to do a remodel right now. How would you fix it up? I like warm wood (obviously not possible on a budget) - this kitchen feels too cold.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calikym
It's a blank slate and definitely nothing to hate. It's nice! You can do so much... Add backsplash, colorful art and bright stools. I can really imagine some hip, bright geometric print in there.
4 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:25AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I would add color...easiest thing to do. Paint the walls a sunny yellow (that has grey in it) and add some fun colorful stools and accessories.
7 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:31AM
PRO
NancyJInteriors
What I can see of the living room, it looks like warm earth tones, it makes the kitchen feel very cold.
I think warm colored runner rugs on each side of the island, make the accent color work with the living room colors, bar chair, maybe add a chair pad, flat graphic seaming pattern, make the walls in the kitchen the same accent color, only use a different value of the color. Good Luck
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:48AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I like a great geometric pattern, with bright yellow, black, & white wallpaper on all the walls in there. And I would choose black rather than gray in it because even black is a pop in a gray room. Don't be afraid..be bold..be brave. Add a coordinating fabric on your bar stools, use the colors in accessories in the room as well.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 7:57AM
PRO
NancyJInteriors
Think about how often you change colors in your home???? Paint will change your space, easy on budget, and have the option to think a new color in 5 years. Anyone who has removed wallpaper,
prep the walls to receive paint will think again before adding wallpaper. I think of kitchens as high
maintenace for cleaning, even with vinyl coated wallcovering, we are talking high maintenace and removal cost.
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:11AM
PRO
Dytecture
Here is an ideabook of using different colors for kitchen cabinetry.

2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:19AM
carolins
You could put a runner between the island and sink and perhaps on the other side of the island too, backsplash, different bar chairs and accessories, for instance:
6×13 Persian Hamadan Rug Runner
Form Bar Stool
Contemporary Kitchen Tile
Traditional Kitchen Tile
Eclectic Serving Bowls
Round Acacia Bowls

Colour-wise you can add yellow (as suggested above) or go warmer with orange. Also lime green will look good with the grey. Adding curtain pannels (floor to ceiling) will add warmth.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:04AM
carolins
If you place a large wooden tray (I believe the photo enclosed is a small one, but something like that), on your island and fill it with your cooking utensils and a nice bottle of olive oil for instance, it will look beautiful. Your kitchen is sort of a blank canvas. I like it :-)

Cookie Jar
Acacia Tray
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:15AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Accessories alone will not solve this gray issue.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:21AM
PRO
Amplio
Would paint in this color and add wood accessories like the bowl a bow and the bars stools.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:28AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
The paint color could help a little..but you really need pattern..it really is the only element that will break up the all gray look. Completely upholstered bar stools (parson looking) in a bright patterned fabric with a window treatment to match..as there is no place to stack drapery, mount a faux Roman shade at the ceiling, over the doors...It's about pattern.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:16PM
judianna20
I see an Oriental in the adjoining room. Work with that. Not sure about the colors, because I can't see much of it, but how about this fabric on the slider and painting the cabinets BM Nantucket Grey.

1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 12:26PM
artvsart
iYes, color with paint is the way to go. The gray here is not neutral. It is clashing with itself and this is why you are intuiting the bad feelings of the space. On a budget, don't think wood has to be expensive.. Think about focal areas and concentrate your money on those points providing your are providing a new paint scheme. That said the 'light' greay as your field color might work if you get rid of the darker gray throughout...
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:27PM
0825sam
I am not an expert, but adding yellow and black would not be my preference for warming up the room, though I do agree about adding pattern and texture. I love the accessory choices by carolins, and for pattern I like an ikat or ikat chevron with some warmer tones, brown, red, etc.
Scattered Chevrons Curtain
Diva Ikat Curtain
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 12:32PM
4isablessing
Gray is such a neutral color. Just like the other comments, you can do green, yellow, orange, and blue. Glass tile will be a great addition to your backsplash as well.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 12:33PM
rinqreation
First of all change the floor (wood/vinyl), not the kitchen itself.

If you like modern with a bit of pop-art or glamour, add fluorescent stools and a similar (glass!) backsplash. Paint the walls (color/black). Hang some lights in a bold color over the isle.

If you like somewhat traditional/neutral, replace the countertop with wood. Or white. Paint the walls dark chocolate, tan or cream. Add colors like gold, white marble, wood.

Either way add some color and contrast.

18th
Tangley @
kitchen
Farm House 1
Villa Nuevo
Contemporary
OH Custom 4
New Kitchen
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Blank wall
What can I place under this window? I have a sink going...
ctoy10
Need help...
I am a young widowed mother, LITERALLY starting from...
italnmama13
Living Room Arrangement Help
We are looking for advice on how to make our living...
sazak
Shades or blinds?
I need some privacy in my kitchen. I have white wooden...
kristenmeyer
Need a tie-breaker on this bathroom vanity
Any opinions? (excuse the horrible quick Photoshop...
R K
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.