Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with this room
bw773
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I bought the house with this room n this fashion .. The walls are wood the ceiling is drop in. Floor is concrete .. I'm trying to figure out what to put down ... And how to make this room look better .. And hide or make the pellet stove look better. Maybe stone in the little area behind the stove or whole wall ? I dunno please help. Room is lower left room in pictures ..
Also looking to figure out how to make the curb appeal look better
Thankyou in advance
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jayme H.
You could put a base under it and put some stone or brick around..I like these floating shelves..Are u covering the concrete floor? I would face the sofa to the wood stove. Wondering if the pipe shouldn't match the stove for a better look?
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:01AM
bw773
I don't know why I couldn't think of just painting the pipe with high heat paint ... I completely agree ... And yes it was my intention to cover the floor with something ? Tile ? Floating wood floor I dunno .. Would be a lot of wood ...
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:10AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
On the floor, probably not wood...something lighter, large stone like tile. Jayme is on the right track.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:14AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Regarding the exterior of the house..it's about landscaping. Call a landscape architect..it will be worth it. Trees, shrubs, planting areas..curved lines.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:15AM
Jayme H.
I like wood stoves..I think even the pipe matching, a few floating shelves behind it and it will look fine...Cute room...Too much wood for a wood floor....Carpet or slate with area rugs?
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:20AM
dianahb
I like putting stone in that alcove where the wood stove is and maybe having the stove painted, too.

The concrete floor looks interesting; from the photo, it looks very nice. If you wanted to keep the concrete, you could have someone come over and get them to give you an idea of cost and possibilities with concrete. I saw a concrete countertop (which they can do with floors, too) that was spectacular looking. I asked about it, because I thought it was a natural stone-- so nice looking.

I have a studio in a detached building, where the floor had to be replaced (original was concrete, but nothing much could be done with mine- very bad shape). I also stand a lot when working, so didn't want something as unforgiving as concrete. I ended up having a floating floor put in and put in really nice cork flooring (wide plank style-- looks like old wood). I like it a lot.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:27AM
bw773
Thankyou for the suggestions .... Really helpful .. I like the idea of he shelves and the stone ... I might go tile for durability and a area rug maybe any ideas ... I come home form Afghanistan soon I have Been saving to make my house look great ... I really am thankful for the help ... Any thoughts on the tile and rug ... My house is kinda country / modern theme ... I'm horrible with furniture I don't know what to get ... Did manage to pick out my tv tho... Guy thing :)
4 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:22AM
Jayme H.
If u put a modern twist in the room...corrugated metal is interesting....
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:24AM
Jayme H.
Adding in some of this metal would be cool!!! Glad u r coming home soon! Thanks for all you do for the USA, and all of us!
3 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:25AM
bw773
I'm t minus 95 days ... I can't wait thankyou for your support ... Means everything...
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:29AM
dianahb
Well, before I put tile on top of the concrete, I'd have someone come in and look at the floor. They can do amazing things with a flat concrete surface that make it look like a warm earthy natural stone-- polishing, staining-- you name it. You've probably walked on floors in commercial spaces that are concrete, but you didn't realize it (or maybe not, being in Afghanistan!). So I'd check that out first, before tiling. Then you could place area rugs on top of that.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:32AM
bw773
Ok very cool I will try to do some research on this and see if there are contractors in Connecticut that do that kind of work
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:34AM
Jayme H.
Awesome...glad u r almost done! Lots of good help here on Houzz..lots of professionals and experienced homeowners!! Take Care of yourself and get home safe!!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:36AM
bw773
I will do my best to do so ... Thankyou and I'm new to the site I love it ...
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:38AM
Lizabeth
You have tons of potential in that room. Can be a very nice space with just a little effot. You can stain the concrete and get a rug or do tile on the concrete. Slate tile would look rugged and compliment the wood walls. Also great fo hiding dirt.

Be well.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:02AM
PRO
Emerson Brothers, LLC. Home Remodeling
I would paint out the room in a neutral color and add stone veneers in the alcove that houses the wood burning stove. I would then use a slate or natural stone for the floor in that area. This will make it a focal point in the room.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:06AM
Lizabeth
I love Jayme's punch of red paint on the stove but any color could work. I like the idea of corrugated metal surround behind the stove. Save money and then you can buy a new sofa.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:11AM
bw773
Like this for walls? Would you just do the cove? How would you end it ? Exposed edge?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:22AM
bw773
Darker?
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:25AM
dianahb
A dry-stack stone wall would be really nice in there. I prefer the lighter-- but that would look great. I would think you leave the edges exposed. ??
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:30AM
bw773
What exactly is corrugated steel ? Does it come in what style ? Colors?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:31AM
Jayme H.
I like the darker better...
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:31AM
ktiquet
First off let me say thank you for serving our country!!!!!!! Ok about your room is this the only living space or is this more of a man cave? I think for a man cave you could stain the concrete and use carpet tiles that way if your friends are watching the game and spill it easy to clean up carpet tiles come in such a huge range of colors and patterns. It would be nice to take down or paint the wood paneling depending on budget. I really like jayme 's idea about painting the stove too. Stone on that back wall would look nice but the steal panels would be amazing or even copper. Hope this helps you get started thanks again for doing what you do!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 11:42AM
Lizabeth
corrugated metal has been used outdoors for roofing for years and some designers are putting it inside and outside contemporary homes for a twist. You see it used in homes shown in Dwell magazine.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwDkUvutGGVdT7I8EdxboFX1Xd9PkN5wYU9_R7kedBj6cra_AX8w

Hopefully this link works.

Not for everyone but gives an edgy vibe to a room. I can see going toward a finnish/clean lined rustic feel. Or not, depends on you.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:17PM
Jayme H.
I find the metal very interesting too...gives things a cool twist!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:25PM
Lizabeth
And it kinda of balances the wood I think. Just a splash of it behind the stove I think would be cool.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:31PM
bw773
This room is kinda .. A second living room .. When I can get home ill send pictures of that room to ... It's the only room in the house with a tv .. Behind the picture of the room is my master bed room .. Would be the front right side of house .. Those four windows .. 18x 24 .. Short hallway .. Merges into the room you see .. Not a private room . So not very man caveish ..
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:32PM
bw773
In order to ge the rustic look or country modern .. Do you paint it or does it come weathered ?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:33PM
dianahb
Yeah-- I love the photo Lizabeth showed above, but my sense is that the corrugated metal looks best with very modern designs-- like a hip urban thing. Otherwise, it could look like you went to the scrap heap, and to save a little money, picked up some corrugated metal, and slapped it up there. I love these ideas, but I do think they're very specific to certain layouts/interiors. Just my 2 cents. I'd stick with the stone.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:33PM
bw773
Want the space to be warm and inviting don't exactly know how to do that .. I like that even in the summer it's cool down stairs because of the concrete .. Want to make it nice .. I'm not even against tearing down and sheet rocking .. Lotta work but I can do until mud and tape ... I don't know . My goal is to make it nice space and eventually when the housing market returns ... Make some money on the sale .. I worry the woods walls look dated .. Or like they belong in cabin .... I'm not sure ... Then there's the drop in ceiling that goes with .... Well it's doesn't really go
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:42PM
Lizabeth
I think this house is unfocused enough to go in any direction that the owner would like. I have seen houses of this era given a new life with simple materials and a cohesive vision of the new owners. It is really just a box in need of a facelift. The nice thing about bold contemporary is that one can use inexpensive materials to great effect. And Yes you can get it painted or matt or shiney. But again one needs to repeat like materials in groups of three. So something with same finish should appear again in a lamp or light fixture or art frame, something. It is always about balance and a mix of texures and finishes. Wood warms, metal cools.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 12:43PM
bw773
Very cool to know .. I like rules of design didnt know
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:45PM
Lizabeth
bw 773, See if you can order a copy of the book " Good House Cheap House Adventures in Creating an Extraordinary Home at an Everyday Price" by Kira Obolensky

You will see great design at completely affordably prices. These are everyday homes that are wonderfully imaginative using ordinary materials in extraordinary ways.

I got mine at the library and have to send it back there.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:53PM
dianahb
Well, without seeing the room in real life-- here's what I'd do.

As soon as I get home-- well, if I were you, I'd probably rest for a week to 10 days.

(1) Then I'd do some online searching (and asking around) of people in your area who are really good at working with concrete. I'd have them come out and show me their portfolios and ask about making that concrete look like natural old beautiful limestone (and ask how much that would cost). I'm telling you, it can be absolutely stunning. As I understand it, if your concrete is in good shape-- it's not that expensive-- and depending on the stain you want.

(2) Then I'd see about laying a stone wall behind that stove. If that's too expensive and labor-intensive, I'd see about laying slate on the floor and up the wall-- something that would go well with your newly stained concrete. (Oh-- and if that concrete idea is too expensive, I'd put slate down). It will stay cool in summer, too. Have the stove sit on the slate.

(3) Paint the stove and piping.

(4) Then I'd paint the walls, too, because I also think they look dated. But they look to be in good shape, so I'd keep and paint, instead of sheetrock-- maybe some warm grey color to go with the stone or slate.

(5) Then I'd take my time and look for some really nice warm beautiful area rugs.

(6) Then I'd also take my time and look for an old sofa with beautiful lines, at a steal, and have it re-upholstered with fabric to your taste. Get rid of the present one on Craig's List. It's amazing what people will buy on Craig's List. And I can't tell you how many beautiful old sofas and chairs I've found over the years-- great lines-- that just needed good reupholstering.

Anyway-- those are my thoughts. I suspect you can do a lot of this at relatively affordable prices. The most expensive suggestion here is the concrete staining idea. And, again, if they don't have to do a lot of prep work to make that floor flat (as I understand it), then you've already saved a bunch of money. And slate is a really affordable and good-looking option, too.

Just take your time-- but I think it could be spectacular. And then you won't want to sell it.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 1:02PM
bw773
I get a little confused by what you mean with lines .. Also positioning .. And staging .. Where to put what.. I really enjoy the tv but horrible glare on it from windows and I love having blinds open .. There n there now not in pic
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:51PM
PRO
Citapore
A traditional Kilim Rug might look awesome in front of a fireplace. Cowhide Leather Rug would be great with wooden walls..
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 3:46AM