Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any ideas for A-frame?
joycelehman
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is an A-frame house. There are 2 eight foot sliders on the east side and 2 windows on the south side. The west side is mirrored sliding closet doors. The north side is the stairs. The walls and ceiling in the room are white. I need to paint and get new window coverings. Painting involves putting up scaffolding so the color has to be something I can live with for a long time. I am thinking of putting a cornice high above the windows and up-lighting it and hanging drapes under it. Anything I do will be very expensive. I need help with color and fabric choices. Also what do I do with the large blank wall above the sliders? (The lump in the couch stays)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Karen Brooker
I would make and hang a beautiful quilt above the windows
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:12AM
Linda Stewart_Ryder
A somewhat easy fix would be to "beef" up the fabric, add lengthened drapes....reset your drapery rods up another foot or so. Select a heavier, perhaps custom rod with finials. Another suggestion would be to select a less decorative rods, run the length of both sliders and add a valance. Either way gather the draperies in the center section where the mirror is. You can still place your table infront of the drapes. Depending on your style, fabric will be the interest/accent on this large wall. Another method would be to paint the wall with a complimentary/accent color. The combination of the fabric and color should help.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:37AM
decoenthusiaste
Looks like you have a beautiful wooded view and maybe no neighbors. For myself, I'd prefer to install UV blocking window film (it's not your grandma's window film today) and for softness and a decor statement put stationary fabric roman shades or valance that is a "mock" roman shade. They wouldn't open or close but would soften and add a great look to your windows and to the sliders.
Marti's New Kitchen
Schwartz and Architecture http://www.houzz.com/mock-roman-shades
Kitchen nook design ideas
Marcelo Brito & Pedro Potaris - Sao Paulo - Brazil
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:10PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
For me, color would come from the things you love and know you will want to keep around for a long time. Which would send me shopping for a huge antique sign to fill your peak. I selected this as an example, since your "lump on the couch" (LOL) seems to be watching car racing, but I think even it is too small and you'd want to find something larger, and that you want to look at too, but you get the idea:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-of-Fire-Drag-racing-HUGE-metal-sign-/190582445828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f995704

Once you find that thing, it will tell you what color and drapery to choose.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 12:41PM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
About three or four feet above the sliding doors I would have beams. You do not have to put many, It will soften the pointed feeling of the "A" peak and create visual architectural interest in the center of the vast empty volume above one's head at this point. You could even hang rugs, if you are inclined to do that type of accessorizing.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:46PM
carole
;-)he fitts there nicely!!! i think put in a-frames,this is a picture of our room,we build the new roof ouside the frame and kept the old one on show,but you could put in 3 or 5 new ones!!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:07PM
PRO
Mary Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
I like the look of these beams - perhaps a knotty alder that my client introduced me to - spanning the opening would look beautiful. They have just the right amount of rustic look. (pretend the ceiling above beams are open up to an "A" peak

1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 3:24PM
joycelehman
Thank you all for your ideas.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:59AM
PRO
Interiors Unleashed
Hi. Here is a simple idea that helped a large blank wall in a sloped ceiling bathroom. I added architectural interest by using simple flat molding all the way around the space. I used the same paint color above and below. The molding was at the ceiling on the low wall. In this bathroom I broke the molding line with vertical wall for vanity and plumbing. I used another simple molding to separate the shower from tub. Your space made me think of this project, maybe my project will give you some cost sensitive ideas.
1 Like   March 30, 2014 at 2:32PM
jackietstokes
I too have large walls with a wooded view and similar trim. Because you probably get a lot of light, I'd recommend using a darker, bolder paint color on the walls. I chose a darker color and it was a good idea. I hired a Sherwin Williams decorator for $70 and she helped pick the colors - she saved us so much time, I'd highly recommend a consultation with SW or someone else. My husband and I painted our lofted walls, it was work - but you really don't need scaffolding unless you're going to paint the ceilings. You just need an extension ladder to cut in and then an extension roller for the rest of the walls. It won't be as hard as you think.

I also agree with the first post - you have the space, so moving the window treatments up will make the room look better.
0 Likes   March 30, 2014 at 2:56PM
PRO
Pacific Coast Drapery Manufacturing
Lots of good ideas. One way to raise. the eye and fill that space is to use a woven or roman shade mounted at least a foot above the slider. Then mount stationary panels on either side of the window. You could use the existing hardware but a larger diameter pole will have more impact.
0 Likes   March 30, 2014 at 3:01PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Year old dilemma, folks.
0 Likes   March 30, 2014 at 3:02PM