powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Navy ceiling, white walls for little boy room?
farrarah
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My little boys room is an odd shape but we love the character. It was probably an attic at one point so the ceiling comes down very far and the walls are short (dormer-style). Navy paint will obviously make the room seem smaller, but what if that was he ceiling color and we paint the walls white? Wondering if anyone has a similar size room and how they embraced the unusual shape. Attached 3 pictures. Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Farrarah -- What a southcoast New England name... Here are pages and pages of inspiration to peruse before you make any final decisions: http://www.houzz.com/navy-white-boys

While I love your color idea, I do think that a navy slanted ceiling will feel like it's about to fall on you. In spaces like this, my preference is a lightish neutral covering walls and ceiling together, so that all of the odd seam lines go away. Then use that as a backdrop for everything else.

That low point where the ceiling meets the wall might be a great big desktop area with staggered storage/support and legroom underneath.

Your boy(s?) are lucky -- this is a large fun space, and you will make it great!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:19AM
Jayme H.
I would leave the ceiling lighter...How about stripes? Navy and white?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:24AM
aniluap2
How about a white ceiling and some wallpaper behind the crib with a navy and white chevron pattern or some horizontal navy stopes painted on that wall. You could also paint the risers on the stairs navy to echo the stripes on the wall. Paint the back wall of the niche, navy, and hang some white laminate shelves there with some navy and white bins to stash his toys on the floor of the sheving unit you have created, and books, toys, photos on the upper shelves. Use navy and white fabrics and accessories and you could introduce pops of orange or yellow to liven things up.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:32AM
Jayme H.
I painted stripes on my son's bedroom walls...(actually three rooms, over time) I did vertical in one and alternated 3 colors...that one was a job..the horizontal was easier and I only did two colors on one of those and not up the whole wall..just a stripe in the middle..it turned out cute!
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 9:42AM
aniluap2
Jayme, Great minds think alike.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:07AM
Jayme H.
Scary isn't it??? LOL!!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:12AM
aniluap2
I hesitated to say, 'Fools seldom differ' as I prefer to classify myself in the group above. That's just me!
LOL
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:16AM