Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with exterior of plain brick home!
mozment
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We bought this house for the location and interior. The exterior has no design elements. It's a big brick box. We need affordable suggestions on how to make it more visually appealing. Front door, shutter, column and color suggestions would be appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DIAspoton
box in the columns for a more substantial look. keep columns and trim cream. add cream railing and spindles to create a porch.

add shutters in medium gray.

you need larger foundation plantings. you could line the walk with a hedge. talk with a nursery in your area. some hedge choice change color seasonally.

is that a beadboard ceiling on the porch? paint it a soft sky blue.
(sideways,not facing front).hang a swing on the left end of the porch.

add 4 colorful hanging baskets.

add light fixtures on either side of the door.
5 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:42AM
dblapins
paint the house white- with black shutter and change the door out- and paint it a bold color: re, yellow or red...plant around the base and add large tree's to the edges of the house. create a focus on the front walk.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 11:03AM
mozment
Thanks for the comments!! I agree the columns and landscaping will make a huge difference. I had not thought of gray shutter - I like that! I also like the idea of painting the door a bold color since changing out the door it not in our budget at this time. Although I love painted brick - this home was just built in 2007 and I just can't see painting it yet and my husband absolutely won't go for it. Thanks!!
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 11:44AM
PRO
Total Quality Home Builders, Inc.
Paint the brick a neutral kaki color( see how the neutral with the dark door pops! It will also make you house look bigger!), go black on the shutters, add more square columns for an updated look and paint your front door a pop of color! Red even! Check out the columns below! Adding some rock would also catch your eye and move you from that box feel! Two hanging fixtures on the front porch between the columns would break up your eye! I would cap your door with tall plants on both sides! Plant a big tree on the left for Height and it will make the left side of the house feel taller! What a great blank canvas to work with! Have fun!
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 12:05PM
mozment
I love your positivity Total Quality Home Builders! I had never thought of it as a blank canvas but more of a headache. Your ideas are great. Would love to add some rock but not sure how to make it seem cohesive with the rest of the house. Soes anyone know how much it would cost to bring the door forward even with the house instead of in that little nook? It really bothers me the way it's inset. Also what are thoughts on board and batten shutters?? I'm seeing them on all the new houses in my area now.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:38PM
PRO
Pamela Bateman Garden Design
Would you consider making the front porch a porch with railings between the posts? Look up 'front porch' in Houzz photos. There are lots of ideas there about posts and railings. I would enlarge the planting beds in front of the house and plant low growing shrubs and flowering perennials. A local nursery could help you with plant selection. In order for us to suggest plants we would have to know what climate zone you live in or where you live.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 2:38PM
mozment
We added some simple evergreen plants to the landscaping. See pics...kinda hazy because it was 7:00am this morning. We have just enough money to add shutters. I want board and batten but can't find the right stain color that will stand out against the brick! Suggestions pls! What do you think of this door color? No money for a new door with glass right now so just have to settle for painting the existing. Comments?
3 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 1:44PM
mozment
Shutters similar to this...But what color for my brick? I just realized how terrible those hazy pictures are. See original pics for more realistic brick color. Thanks!
0 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 1:49PM
DIAspoton
you want to work with your roof color so i still think a medium gray shutter. paint the window trim in charcoal for a richer, more sophisticated look. have you looked at houzz idea books or discussions ? go to exteriors then key in , has to be in quotes : "brick with dark trim" or : "brick with gray trim"
0 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 2:38PM
felixgrantham
Remove the screens from the windows - that will help a lot w/ your curb appeal.

I think the turquoise is a little too bold for the style of your house. I think to complement the gray & to go w/ the red brick, the door would be pretty is a deep navy, black, dark sage or forest green.
0 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 2:57PM
Anne
The blue object on the door needs to disappear! If you have any DIY skills, the board and batten shutters would be a DIY project to save money. Match the shutters to the shingles. Beef up the columns as others have suggested.
1 Like   June 28, 2013 at 5:32PM