Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Do I want a wall unit instead of quilt?
dianecu
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Love my quilt... Love this look but found a really great deal on a really pretty oak wall unit. The quilt would have to come down. Help! Comments! Ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
Honestly? :>) That wall arrangement looks like Country Living magazine, late 70's. Will the wall unit accommodate the t v? I think that would be my choice. Could the quilt go in your bedroom? Or over the back of your sofa?
garden room
Mt. Shadows
February 19, 2013 at 10:55am     
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I like the idea of the wall unti (I assume you will put TV inside the unit?) and move the quilt.
February 19, 2013 at 10:57am   
decoenthusiaste
Oak is still kinda late 70's early 80's "ish." A built-in wall for decor and TV would be a bigger investment but would enhance the value of your home..
February 19, 2013 at 11:57am   
PRO
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
I completly agree withthe comment by judyg
February 19, 2013 at 1:48pm   
PRO
Chroma Design
While your style is not my preference, you have put the room together nicely. An oak wall unit seems appropriate with your other furnishings. The answer to your question is whether or not the added function and storage of the wall unit is worth sacrificing your quilt. I assume you intend to put the tv inside it so you must also consider that the sofa will no longer be across from the tv so you may need to rearrange your seating. I can't tell from the photo if you have the space to do so.
February 19, 2013 at 3:05pm   
carole
what wrong with the 70's!!!!can you put in a picture of the oak wall unit,please?i like your style and think you will find another place for the quilt inside the room,mine is high on the wall above the tv,cant find a picture at the moment(and am not home!!) but you have a pointed wall there...any other walls???or entryway close to the room??
February 19, 2013 at 3:16pm     
dianecu
I don't have a picture of the wall unit. Here us another angle if the room. And the foyer area... Maybe it could go there? Thanks for the comments!
February 19, 2013 at 4:23pm   
dianecu
Here's other side of room near front door
February 19, 2013 at 4:24pm   
Erika Taylor
Move the quilt! A picture of the wall unit will help.
February 19, 2013 at 4:26pm   
PRO
Chroma Design
How about putting the quilt over the stairs. It's a nice open space there and a great decorating opportunity.
February 19, 2013 at 4:27pm     
carole
its crying out for the quilt!!!!go buy the oak wall unit!!!good deals dont come along thay often!!!!!!good luck,send a picture after,please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
February 19, 2013 at 4:30pm   
dianecu
I have a shelf and a picture to go on the corner where the tv is... It looks a little bare
February 19, 2013 at 4:31pm     
dianecu
So you think the quilt would look good here? Or take mirror and pictures down and put it over here
February 19, 2013 at 4:34pm   
dianecu
Here
February 19, 2013 at 4:41pm   
carole
NO!!! just there on that empty space!!!really i can see it there now!!the shadow on the wall in the picture that points you to where the quilt should be!! leave the rest of your decor as it is,add the shelves near the tv and put in a picture once you have got the new unit,your house looks so cozy!!
February 19, 2013 at 4:44pm     
Jayme H.
I would hang the quilt in a bedroom...A built in on that wall would work well...I would choose a white one.
February 19, 2013 at 4:44pm   
dianecu
Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas... Love this sight!
February 19, 2013 at 4:49pm   
carole
!!come on people,respect eachother choices,decorating help is not the same as trying to convince others to do it your way!!no matter how many posts there are it is what you feel happy with,so go with it!!!!!!!the question was move the quilt or not,not build a wall or not!!
February 19, 2013 at 4:52pm   
bevballew
Yes wall unit. Move the quilt to another room.
February 19, 2013 at 4:53pm     
bevballew
You love country and you did a cute job but the quilt would great by the stairs and a wall unit would give a less busy look in the family room.
February 19, 2013 at 4:56pm   
Jayme H.
I meant a wall unit, not build a wall
February 19, 2013 at 5:05pm     
Sue So
If you love the quilt, keep it up. I would remove the knick knacks above it and add a weight bar to the bottom to straighten out like artwork. Maybe add picture lighting on that little shelf to highlight it. Country is not by style but I think that quilt is lovely!
February 20, 2013 at 12:35am   
kat349
Sorry but I think a Wall unit would look too heavy if you want to place it where the quilt is try re arranging room and balancing furniture is always important I think and you may be able to have both .
February 20, 2013 at 1:09am   
PRO
FurnitureNYC
It all depends on what kind of Wall Unit you have chosen. There are many stylish modern wall units.. http://www.furniturenyc.net/entertainment-centers.html
February 20, 2013 at 1:39am     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Clearly an oak wall unit matches your look. Your design aestetic is clear and the quilt would look great in the stairwell. Maybe just drape it over teh banister. Go buy the wall unit before it gets away. You clearly know how to acheive your look so go for it.
February 20, 2013 at 2:46am   
hollowleg
Clearly you like country.you have done a good job with that style.i would leave quilt as is buy a corner armoire to put tv in and buy a area rug to pull it all together
February 20, 2013 at 7:27am     
hollyskog
Try a primitive wall unit instead of oak. That would be more up to date and still go with your look.
February 20, 2013 at 11:05am   
Jayme H.
I agree with adding a different material for the t.v. unit
February 20, 2013 at 11:52am     
jaya15
An armoire in ash finish or white washed french country look. that will fill the corner and you will still have the wall space where the quilt is right now. Move your big plant there.
On the other side of the window I would put a long table and display the spindle (if I am correct which seems to be on the floor ) the three quilt pieces or the art pieces I would put them in a straight line on the wall above the table)
I would get a square coffee table which has a glass top with a display shelf in the bottom. I will display the quit in that.
February 23, 2013 at 9:21pm   
More Discussions
Where to put the tv in the family room?
Help with tv in the family room!! We're building a...
Refrigerator clearance
How much room do I need in front of an open freezer...
Canoe
I have a cabin with 7 ft ceilings. Is it ok to hang...
Backsplash suggestions?
Hi everyone. I would appreciate suggestions on what...
Cabinet help!!
Hey all! I have a kitchen with honey oak cabinets which...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.