Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What do I do what this room?
Jonathan R
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would like ideas! Should I re-stain, paint the paneling? what kind of flooring? How would you update the fireplace?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Is there any way to raise that ceiling? If feels like it is about to fall. Maybe the camera angle. FP needs a massive mantel, floors need hardwood and the paneling, if real wood, might be re-stained or if it is not the real thing, paint or a tear out and drywall. Still, it is the ceiling that is bothering me. This could be an awesome space if it were opened up - it appear to be sagging! Baring raising it, maybe some skylights would change the feeling.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 1:40PM
Sara Morton
Put hardwood on the fireplace and paper it as a wall. I would leave the panelling and try a carpet to soften the look. Could panel the fireplace from top to bottom. Remove the fire and hearth and put in a new fireplace with hearth and new fire.. Various ways.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 1:50PM
michigammemom
The stone fireplace makes a nice rustic statement, so I would add a hefty reclaimed beam mantle.
8 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 1:57PM
Suzanne Regimbal
The I like about this room is the fireplace. Too much panelling. Get rid of carpet,and the shelving. I can't tell what is on the other side of that pass through,it should go too. If it isn't good wall panelling get rid of it. Otherwise paint might lighten up the room. I would remove the doors. The fireplace needs a big rough hewn type of a mantle.:-)
3 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 1:57PM
PRO
Dytecture
Great space. I would painted over the wall paneling and install hardwood floors.

3 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 1:59PM
Jonathan R
The paneling is Ash. It is real wood. On the other side of the pass though is a wet bar.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:02PM
michigammemom
You might consider a lighter pickled finish on the paneling and built-ins and a warm toned hardwood floor to complement the stone. This is a massive space as indicated by the dwarfed love seat, so make sure to furnish the room with properly scaled pieces.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 2:11PM
Jonathan R
So everybody likes the fireplace? What colors would go well if I leave the stained paneling?
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 2:20PM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
This is very quick, but will give you an idea of how things look if you change them up a bit. I love the fireplace, but consider a very large, rough hewn mantle and also a stone surround on the floor that pulls out a colour from the fireplace. Then I'd (and it's just because I like painted wood, but you may love it the way it is), paint the panelling a deeper shade from the fireplace, then lighten the walls above it and then lighten the ceiling again with the same colour. Also hardwood. The wide plank, hand scraped would look lovely with this. You could even do the panelling the same colour as the floor if you like wood. It's really what you like. Then something very large and sculptural above the fireplace mantle. By doing this the fireplace doesn't seem as over powering.

See what you think.
7 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:22PM
Suzanne Regimbal
I would still paint the panels in a light cream colour, remove doors close pass through. Lay dark wood floor, with big animal Hyde rug, distressed brown leather sofas flanking it. A large square antiqued brass & wood coffee table. Every thing you do to this place has to be large ,heavy and masculine. You might object to painting the wood but l think the room can have only one star and I think it should be the FP:-)
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:24PM
PRO
By the way, it doesn't have to be a moose head :-) but it should be large - could be a large piece of art, wall hanging, arrangement of baskets etc.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 2:30PM
PRO
This shows you how it would look with a pickled type of finish on the wood. It all depends on your preference.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:45PM
rinqreation
That fireplace is awesome! And I like the paneling too.
The carpet and wallpaper give me the shudders though.
I'd say light wood floor (oak?) and a huge (black) seating area around the fire.
Moosehead included, ha!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:47PM
PRO
These two show a lighter cream and a darker gold option.
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:50PM
PRO
Decisions, decisions :-) Here are the light floors.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:53PM
michigammemom
Great renderings Carolyn C...so helpful for the homeowner to visualize changes.
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:58PM
Jonathan R
Wow. The pics really help to visualize! I never thought about these options. The either option with dark floors looks great!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:58PM
JO
Did you buy the house for the paneling? The paneling is in competition with the beautiful rising walls and floor to ceiling fireplace and dwarfs the doorway near the couch. Originally all actual woods were left untouched, not painted.i I find it hard to paint over woods, and choose honey woods softer for the mood. I would remove the panels carefully, I'm sure someone would purchase them for another project. A lighting professional could perk up the room to its max potential, with a duo color, walls and ceiling.
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:58PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
This room has great potential. I would definitely paint the paneling to make the room look more modern and the same color as the wall and ceiling. I would do a warm colored white that compliments the fireplace.

I'm loving medium toned and light colored cerused floors or walnut which has come down significantly in price over the years. Check out this floor company and see if they are in your area. Their vinyls are incredible looking and sound like wood when you walk on them. I love their product! http://duchateaufloors.com/
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 2:58PM
Suzanne Regimbal
I would still paint the panels in a light cream colour, remove doors close pass through. Lay dark wood floor, with big animal Hyde rug, distressed brown leather sofas flanking it. A large square antiqued brass & wood coffee table. Every thing you do to this place has to be large ,heavy and masculine. You might object to painting the wood but l think the room can have only one star and I think it should be the FP:-)
3 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:04PM
Jonathan R
I didn't buy the house for the paneling. I just purchased it because (A) I love the size of all the rooms and (B) it has a pool.
3 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:06PM
alex4444
I completely agree with Suzanne Regimbal. However, I think I would remove the paneling and put in drywall to get a cleaner look. Hardwod floor, large mantel, and paint the bookcases the same color as the wall to get a built in look and keep the focus on the fireplace. I'm not sure what those walls are behind the fireplace, but I would either remove them, or paint them the same color as the other walls-an off-white to show off the hardwoods. Good luck!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:28PM
Jonathan R
The other walls are a hall. There is a half bath behind there and the hall goes to a formal dining room. I appreciate all the help. The bookcase is built in! Where would everybody recommend a television to go?
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:36PM
Jonathan R
Another view.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:37PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Jonathan -- While I've never seen the show, from all of the buzz about it, this home strikes me as very "Mad Men." I'm picturing swank 60's coctail club vibe, with no mantel, and a martini bar...
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:39PM
violinist3713
I would definetely paint the paneling because it will open up the room so much. Also is it was me I would install some dark hardwood
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 4:14PM
Suzanne Regimbal
Nooooo tv in that beautiful Ralph Lauren style room that I invision. You also have the beautiful big windows to look at your back yard. I'm sure you have another room that can be used for TV viewing!
Otherwise use the other half of that spacious great room:-)
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 4:49PM
hepphouse
I'd add a big beam wrap around mantel of reclaimed bridge type lumber or some heavy texture. I like the carpet but would add some kind of stone hearth near the fireplace. Do a dark java gel stain on the paneling and or cabinets and add leather furniture and red and leather accents. The room has a gentlemen's club look to it and I would go heavy furniture to balance the fireplace.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 5:02PM
Megan
Paint the paneling...not sure what you're design style is but I'm envisioning a warm white. LOVE the stone fireplace. I would add a rustic mantel. You can most likely place the TV above the mantel.

I love the idea of a 60s vibe/feel for the room. I love the idea of grey/white walls and really warming up the space with rich browns (leathers, bearskin rug!) and a modern feel. It would be so fun if you turned the bookshelf (or both) into a wetbar! It looks like a great space for entertaining.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 5:16PM
Laura Stermer
wow, we are waiting to hear if we get a yes on a 1979 short sale with a similar fireplace, loft overlook, but alas no pool. lol. here are some photos, a light , medium and darker options for furnishings and see what you like... flooring: keep in mind wet feet from the pool if that is the most popular access to the backyard.

Gentleman's Pub

Woodinville Retreat

Landmark Builders
Traditional Living Room
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 5:32PM
colorblock
Hi Jonathan, maybe this will not help you at all, I really really love the room as it is, carpet, paneling and all! I would keep it as it is, just make sure everything is clean and spotless. I would go with barnhartgallery's suggestion and go for the 60's vibe, choose your furniture carefully, go for interesting tweedy fabrics, some silky touches for balance, add some brass here and there, some shagreen, glass topped tables, table lamps with great shades, a rug with contrasting texture and pattern... You could really make this a one of a kind room. But of course you need a bit of nostalgia running through your veins and love the cocktail party atmosphere.
I'm a bit envious, I really wish this was my living room....
Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 5:33PM
Jonathan R
I'm excited about taking on the projects. This is going to be first, then I will go room by room.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 5:41PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
OMG it's like a time machine to the '60's! Send pix to the producers as a remote location! I'd love to see close-ups of the kitchen wallpaper, and the one that's sort of in the hallway behind your towering FP from the earlier photos. They look great at a distance. This looks like it was very high end at the time, and eerily preserved. The midmods will be so jealous.
4 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:10PM
Jonathan R
That's a great idea!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 7:50PM
suzanrose
I have to strongly disagree with painting the panelling, and I don't think the room needs "opening up" at all. It's a fantastic space!...the fp is especially fabulous, with or without a mantel!

If it were mine, I would simply replace the flooring with hardwood, paint the existing drywall, and perhaps restain the panelling.

All the best, and have fun!
5 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:11PM
dsnguru1
Love the suggestions to install hardwood and paint the panelling. Have you thought about painting the ceiling the same color as the walls? Or a shade or two lighter to minimize the sheer mass of it?
What size is this room and who and how will it be used?
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 8:17PM
collettec
Love the architecture and the fireplace. One possibility would be playing to the modern with terrazzo floors and a bold color on the wall.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:26PM
Jordan
I would clean the whole room up and give it clean classic lines. To play off the architecture detail of the ceiling I would remove the paneling and paint all the walls and ceiling white. It will highlight the ceiling while letting it blend into the walls. For the floors I would remove the carpet??? and add pale hardwood floors to keep the room light and airy. The fireplace needs major updating with a large chunky wood mantle and a refinished surface on top of the stone. I would choose a warm dove grey concrete surface. On the fire place wall I would add built in shelves for books and curios. For furniture a cream shag rug will add warmth with a couch with clean lines, 2 arm chairs and a drift wood coffee table will finish the room off.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:37PM
Jonathan R
I'm open to painting. The room is probably 20 x 25 with a 16 foot ceiling at the top of the vault. Haven't measured exactly. Terrazzo maybe too large of an undertaking that room goes down a hallway toward bedrooms the foyer and also to a formal dining room.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:38PM
Jordan
Some of my furniture choices.
5 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 8:42PM
suzanrose
Jordan, I LOVE your furnishing choices! All these pieces would look great with hardwood flooring, the fp as is, and the wood panelling refreshed. ;) I'd definitely change out the fp screen, though.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 5:32PM
suzanrose
"This looks like it was very high end at the time"

barnhartgallery, I was just saying this very thing to my husband (a carpenter)!

I've not commented on other home-owners' dilemmas before as I have my own nightmare to contend with, but this room caught my eye. I just love it!
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:52PM
Jonathan R
Thanks! It's going to be a great home. Everything about this house is solid, it was a one owner and well maintained! Not updated but maintained! I need help because I feel this house has no clear defined style... but it does seem to have character, does that make sense?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:58PM
suzanrose
Hi, Jonathan.

It makes perfect sense. And I don't find it hard to believe it's had just one owner.

What is the year of build?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:03PM
Jonathan R
The build is 1979. The first owner is in his 80's I think the wallpaper looks much older but maybe they liked the 50's & 60's better!
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:14PM
Jonathan R
Like this in the kitchen!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:17PM
suzanrose
lol. Well, I just lost a bet. :) And yes, the wallpaper and certain other features say much earlier than late 70's.

The rest of the rooms you've shown are also so spacious with such great bones. What a great choice you've made!
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:21PM
Maranda Shumway
I think if you painted the paneling white it would give it a much more updated look and personality. It would also give you a lot more to work with, color wise.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:26PM
Jonathan R
Thanks! The house is 3000sq. 4 bed 3.5 bath. All the rooms are huge. That is exactly the reason I bought it. I wanted to live in a neighborhood where the houses look different from each other. Also All the newer homes i looked at seem "cheap" in build and in finish.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:30PM
jayneymac
wow what a great house! I think the panelling is part of the house. Paint above the panelling, but something warmer than white. Go for big furniture. If you get rid of the carpet then you need a large rug. Go for dark, masculine colours in the furnishings.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:38PM
suzanrose
The newer homes *are* as you say, unless custom built, imo.

We are reno'ing an 1872 railway worker's home, just 20x20...feet, 2-storey, with an atrocious kitchen addition. Even though it's a tiny, low-end house and has been mercilessly attacked by would-be renovators over the decades, it still retains its original charm and construction quality.

You are very lucky to be the second owner of this home. Curious to know what you end up doing to it. Hope you keep us updated. :)
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:49PM
Jonathan R
I will.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:58PM
rinqreation
It does look like an english estate/manor, a classic victorian interior mixed up with the late 70s dark oak. When Shakespeare met James Bond in a gentleman's club. I'd try and preserve most of it, it's a gem. (although I would completely understand you'd put new wallpaper up..)
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 2:36AM
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 2:41AM
soberg
Jonathan, based on your photos, your house is unique, with bolder architecture and much higher-end finishes than is typical.

If things feel dingy, I would do thorough deep cleaning on everything, including fireplace and panelling. Carpet may have to go.

Lots of houses "need updating" because they were nothing special to begin and once the materials get old, paint is really the best medicine. Your house IS very special, with a dramatic design and beautiful materials. The right designer could help you add amazing lighting, paint (on drywall) and furnishings to make your house truly stunning.

Please take professional advice before considering changes you can't reverse. Please....?
5 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:15AM
carolins
The room you started this thread with is just gorgeous! I wouldn't touch the fireplace nor the panelling. Kitchen and dining could do with modernizing, but that living room.... embrace the 60ties :-D (or seventies as the case may be)
Good luck and enjoy the make-over. It will no doubt be a fantastic home!
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 4:11AM
poeticmoma
Beautiful details, some should go, others will add character and you'll be so happy you kept them. In this case do not paint the paneling. It was put there to bring the room to a human scale since the ceiling is so high. Update the sliding glass doors, which will add great indoor/outdoor use and feel and might give you a better direction of where to go with the room - purpose. Remove the carpet and use a hardwood throughout so that you can use carpeting to break the room into more intimate areas. What is the wall behind the fireplace made of? That's the wall I would paint perhaps. That wall is not helping the stone pop. The opening on the floor above..close it up. Your eye goes there immediately and it should focus on the fireplace. Find updated midcentury homes to inspire you, but don't overdo the time period reference, it should feel current. The right professional would probably have you moving in the right direction.
3 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 4:14AM
jocosman
This is definitely 70's. I was there! Just one thing: If you have popcorn ceilings, you may want to have tested at a lab for asbestos before you tear anything down. Although the use of asbestos was prohibited in the late 70's, 1979 perhaps, suppliers were still able to use what they had left over, so it's not just older homes that have it, but homes built well into the 90's. From what I understand, it's in many of our products in the home today.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 4:48AM
bumbles12
I think it's a very interesting room. I love the ceiling and especially that fire place wow!! Although it needs a nice big thick mantle on it. I would keep the timber around the walls, it looks very rustic. I would get rid of the book case. The windows are lovely. I don't think you would have to do much to this room. But you will need the right furniture to make it into something very special.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:18AM
LaLennoxa
When I first saw this post last week, I instantly thought (and others have echoed) that the finishing (panelling, carpet) looks pretty high end. One thing that is unclear to me is what condition is it all in? If it's in great condition, I would actually go against what may be trend (removing panelling, carpeting) and just go with these great bones. For example, I love hardwood floors, but in my home the previous homeowners had expensive carpeting done upstairs in the bedrooms - and I couldn't be happier running around barefoot with their perfect choice. I can just imagine lying on the carpet in front of that fireplace...but that's just me :-)

The only thing I'd completely change (get rid of) is the wallpaper...everything else I'd work with the existing bones and enhance to my style, if I felt it were necessary (e.g. paint, change the panelling stain, etc.).
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 4:32PM