Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with kitchen
raku2day
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are thinking of remodeling the kitchen. My worry is that it won't go with the rest of the house and I'll end up with a new kitchen in an older room.There's lots of knotty pine in the house.. I'd like a more contemporary look. Would you suggest painted or wood for the cabinets?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
handymam
Have you considered getting more updated (yeah, granite or some type of stone) countertops, adding some bling with drawer and cupboard pulls and handles in polished pewter? Maybe add a stainless steel covering to the wall where your pots are hanging. Stainless appliances too. Stain the island only in a color stain to add a pop of color.

I think your home is charming by the way!

Get ready for it though--the "paint all the cabinets people" will soon be on their way... :)
February 19, 2013 at 2:07pm        Thanked by raku2day
carole
i am not one of them!!!love the knotty pine and think you can update your house by handymans idea of adding bling and color on the walls and colorfull rugs and get a stainless steel fridge too!!from your glasspanel and the light i see greens and yellows you could bring those colors in...
February 19, 2013 at 2:19pm        Thanked by raku2day
wyndyacre
What about staining your cabinets darker and then painting (or staining) your island a colour for some contrast?

February 19, 2013 at 2:20pm        Thanked by raku2day
Lizabeth
If you can afford it soapstone countertops would look great in that kitchen.
February 19, 2013 at 2:21pm        Thanked by raku2day
wyndyacre

I've seen some photos with islands stained other attractive colours too, that could still be in keeping with a cottage, rustic style...sage green, deep red.
February 19, 2013 at 2:24pm      Thanked by raku2day
PRO
1st Choice Cabinetry/ Professional Builders
If you are considering in replacing your cabinets I would suggest a shaker style door with a stainless pull hardware. You can accent with a painted island with a glaze. I also encourage a stone countertop. I have attached a picture to give you an idea of some door styles that will work for your traditional house. This look will give your home a more transitional style and compliment the decor of your house.
February 19, 2013 at 2:24pm      Thanked by raku2day
lionnessone
What style are the other rooms in your home?
Can you post pictures of the other rooms?

I think you should paint your exciting kitchen in BM White Dove, other options would white wash your island base and lower cabinets. Update your counter top to black or two-tone granite. Change your pulls and knobs to black iron. Install a backsplash.

houzz=Farm Country Kitchen 1][houzz=Farm Country Kitchen 2][houzz=Farm Country Kitchen 3][houzz=Rustic & Country Kitchen Designs][houzz=Clean Country Kitchen][houzz=]houzz=Whimages]
February 19, 2013 at 2:36pm      Thanked by raku2day
PRO
Toni Sabatino
I love handymam's comments. I also feel you have a very charming home. I think if you stained the island in an ebony tone with white quartz on it and black stone on the "L" with some funky hardware, more contemporary stools, glass backsplash tile and stainless appliances, you could really give it an updated feel and still belong with the rest of the home, especially as the ceiling is wood as well. North River Mint and Creations by Alno both have some really wonderful hardware. If you are taking out the entire kitchen I would use wood cabinetry and a painted Island. I would also not visually divide the space and have a larger island.
February 19, 2013 at 3:09pm      Thanked by raku2day
libradesigneye
Omigosh - what beautiful bones your house has.

There are lots of beautiful kitchens that evoke older periods - a kitchen is a specialty remodel where you will very much benefit from expert assistance. There are new kitchens in 200 year victorians that look perfect, so your rustic home won't be a difficult challenge. You will want to use the height you have, add rustic details like plate racks, and select a traditional leaning style of cabinet.

To your original question, I say select colored cabinets, in a neutral sage green with antique glaze to bring out the details in your new cabinet profile. It is the most period of colors, found on casework from the 1800's and re-emerging in the 40's and 50's. It goes with everything, plays beautifully with wood and with black (looking around at your furnishings). More wood you don't need.

Red would be cheerful, but decidedly is not neutral, so you need to love the color a lot to be that bold. Black is classic but might be the color you use on your new island. All three of these will look great against your existing wood. To know if you might like the green, you would have to bring home different green options (all cabinet makers have them) and see them in your space with your light.

Butcher block tops are wonderful against painted cabinets, and some of the quartz counter options are now made to evoke carerra marble - which would be true to an older period.

The first thing is to set your budget, and then determine your priorities. Guessing you would like new appliances, and you may want to use a combination microwave hood so you get that built in over your existing range, or you might want to have something that looks like a piece of furniture as your island, or go further to expand your kitchen's footprint into adjacent area and add new cabinets and functions. Budget wise, can you afford to do anything / everything? Most can't.

if you don't need new casework or want an entirely new layout, make adjustments only as needed and feasible - enjoy some of the bells and whistles of new cabinets - leave room in the budget for the great new interior fittings and organizers that make them more functional and organized.

Some images that might inspire - would work well with your high ceilings - extra cabinets on top Riptide
See http://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen/green-cabinets-/p/270 are blue green on a wall and trim that is painted in the green I see in your space. See Ideabook: Cooking With Color: When to Use Green in the Kitchen photo 6 shows the right celery tone that is perfect in a classic kitchen with natural wood floors and ceiling / wood trim at doors and windows.

Hope this inspires some new ideas for your space - unique architecture and features are coveted by those with cookie cutter tracts. Celebrate them with a personal kitchen!
February 19, 2013 at 3:22pm      Thanked by raku2day
raku2day
Thanks for the suggestions. I love the idea of sage cabinets and will look for some paint samples. I'm going to post some pictures of the rest of our great room . Our house has felt good for 30 yrs. but needs appliances etc. I'm thinking of using the top of the current dining table for the top of the island and then using the butcher block that's on the island somewhere else in the kitchen. The current island is too small as we use it for serving a buffet .There's no storage for pots and pans . In '81 we didn't have a clue about planning etc. Our budget would allow for whatever we want . I just need to make sure that we get the most for our money and are happy with the outcome. It's hard to decide what one really needs compared to what one wants.
February 19, 2013 at 4:34pm     
raku2day
Thanks for all the suggestions. It gives me lots to think about with several options for counters materials and cabinet stains or paints. Here are some additional pictures of the rest of the room .I think that I need to redo the whole space..not just the kitchen. We built our house with wood from our property and I've been pretty sentimental about getting rid of my cabinets . After 30 yrs . the door hinges don't always close properly and the white shellac finish that I did is almost gone . it's a hard decision for me to make!
February 21, 2013 at 6:38pm     
PRO
JWinteriors
If this was my kitchen, i would remove wall with the pots hanging on it remove the small island and replace it with a long farm counter height table that included eating at one end. Allows better flow out the patio doors...doesn't cut the rooms up...allows cook and guests/family to be connected. Add pendant lights...upgrade appliances and install new stone countertops. If you want new cabinets, change up the finishes...maple cabinets on top with a rustic darker finish on the bottom. Keep your island "rustic/farmhouse"
February 21, 2013 at 6:51pm      Thanked by raku2day
curacaoblue
This is the first knotty pine kitchen that I like. I think it's because it doesn't have a dated look (ie trendy at one time) and appears airy. I would consider a new counter and hardware. I would also put the pots and pans elsewhere if possible but that's me.
February 21, 2013 at 8:19pm      Thanked by raku2day
carole
that is fantastic,to have build it all from your own property,no wonder it is hard to imagen it all differently.
personaly i would not change to much,the cabinets are very nice,but like the other suggested new counters and hardware would update it,and the idea of JWinteriors about taken away the wall with the pots i like too,that would really open the room,but i vote for keeping the knotty pine look!!!together with your idea of using the table top and butchersblock it will be very up to date!!for the pots and pans how about a rack above the 'new' island,you could use the wood from the wall!!!
February 22, 2013 at 4:57am   
PRO
amydutton Home
I would keep the knotty pine on the base cabinets and then paint all the full height / upper/ columns white. That would begin to make it more contemporary / eclectic.
February 22, 2013 at 5:10am      Thanked by raku2day
PRO
Momentum Interior Decorating and Redesign
I would definitely remove the island, and as JWInteriors suggested, put in a piece of furniture (table) to take it's place. Having the island stand out from the rest of the space is a wonderful look. I would perhaps replace the sink with a farmhouse sink which adds a more rustic look. I would change out the upper cabinets to those that have glass doors and keep the lower as is. Add a brick backsplash in a subway pattern and yes, change the appliances to stainless. I like the idea of a hanging pot rack. Can you lose that wall where they are hanging now? That would make that space more easy and relaxed, more social.
February 22, 2013 at 6:04am      Thanked by raku2day
More Discussions
Really struggling with this small dining room!
I am starting a new thread with updated pictures for...
Your favorite home of all time?
What's your favorite home that you have ever lived...
Do you have a formal living room?
If you do, do you actually use it? Vote and tell...
Keep the Floor or Replace?
I have a beautiful, 30-year-old, hand laid, UNFINISHED...
Is it much too red?
I wanted red and pink to be the main color of our place. I...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.