Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I put up window coverings?
ReMax - Lisa
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
New large addition to our home wide open to kitchen, back yard is very private,and my hubby says no need to cover the windows. I'm thinking of Roman blinds on the vertical windows and matching soft drapes on the large sliding door, leaving the transom open. All to be wide open during the daytime. Any advice? Colour choices welcome too!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jake Petersen
I agree! A nice brown or darker color drapes would go perfect and add a bit of contast to the lighter color of the walls!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:18PM
decoenthusiaste
Are you re-posting? Would be best to comment on your original post with another question - more likely to get input than with a different post.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:19PM
PRO
ReMax - Lisa
Thanks - didn't realize that most comments would come after business hours. New at this! Really appreciate the input from everyone though.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:21PM
PRO
The Decorating Therapist
The view out the windows is beautiful, and I can understand why your husband doesn't want to cover them. He may not be able to see how fabric treatments would actually enhance the windows and the view, and bringing a subtle pattern in would add visual texture and softness also. With the peaked roof line, I would suggest mounting Roman shades above the side windows, and I would use decorative hardware mounted above the slider to hang the panels. It would be accent the height of the room and offer some drama. Since you've used neutrals in your furnishings, I would stay in the same palette with a classic paisley or random floral print. Where are you located?
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 3:25PM
tamara682
Use flat roman shades, in an ivory color with a brown around the outside.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:26PM
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Yes sheer wovens or the woven vinyls by Hunter Douglas.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 3:32PM
PRO
ReMax - Lisa
Good ideas, thanks. I'm partial to a neutral print too, as I like to change up the accent colours throughout the year with pillows, throws and stuff on the builtins. What do you think of a larger ottoman in same fabric to use as a coffee table? @decorating therapist, we are in Burlington Ontario, Canada
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:32PM
PRO
ReMax - Lisa
@ cmr interiors, yes. I have the woven vinyls on my dining room window with silk panels on either side and I love them. Very practical in that room as it gets all the sunshine!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 3:35PM
PRO
The Decorating Therapist
I'm a fan of cocktail ottomans, and they're best if the fabric is very durable, more of an upholstery weight. You could use the same fabric for your drapery if it's not too stiff.
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 6:18PM