Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room furniture placement.
Terri Williams
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Short story: new house. New family room. Combination of repurposed furniture and some new. Not sure about the mix. Welcome any comments and suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Laura Stermer
I would move the chair and footstool (hoping that is it) in lower left corner up into the space by the fireplace as a reading nook by the lawyer book case. Are the drapes hiding a sliding door, or big window? I'd pull the love seat back to the bottom of the picture to form an L shape looking towards fireplace and out window, if that leaves space for traffic flow. need a coffee table. Here are some ideas, everything has to be scaled down to the size of the room of course, like the pop of red.

Living Room 1

Plan #3765

if there isn't room to do the L shape, then look into changing it out and bringing the chairs across from the sofa, like below...

Living Room 2
February 19, 2013 at 4:57PM   
Laura Stermer
I like the pop of red, don't scale it down. Needed a period not a comma, lol.
February 19, 2013 at 5:03PM   
Jayme H.
I like the red. I think a large pic over sofa...and something on wall over book case.
February 19, 2013 at 5:07PM     
Terri Williams
Here are pics from the opposite side of the room. New end table and coffee table coming next week.
The doorway to the right of the tv leads into the kitchen, the to the side of the red loveseat is a sliding door to the deck and on the short wall with bookcase is the hallway leading to foyer.
February 19, 2013 at 5:28PM   
Terri Williams
Laura, my room is a little bit narrow, so there wouldn't be room for entry traffic if I placed furniture in front of the slider. Also, the sofa (new) is higher and deeper than the loveseat and chair, and dwarfs them a bit.
February 19, 2013 at 5:31PM   
Terri Williams
Thanks for all the advice. I have a coffee and an end table being delivered next week. I have a picture for over the sofa but haven't hung it yet because I wasn't sure if I would be moving things around. I thought a vase and candelabra on the bookshelf was enough but the scale is too small.
February 20, 2013 at 10:30AM   
Terri Williams
I've added coffee table, end table, new lamps and picture over sofa. We've moved the love seat as one person suggested.
Better.. Or worse?
February 26, 2013 at 6:53PM   
shortped
Chair and ottoman where tv is now....move love seat to opposite side to still make L with sofa and put tv over fireplace?
February 26, 2013 at 7:08PM   
designwench
Deja vu! This is almost exactly like my family room. We put in a built-in for the TV on the end wall next to the fireplace and have an L-shaped sectional facing it. The two focal points are then at the same end of the room. I am not a fan of TVs over fireplaces unless there is absolutely no room for it. TVs that are placed too high make you slouch down in your seat and crane your neck up to watch. You've made some really nice improvements since your first post.
February 26, 2013 at 7:33PM     
shortped
I agree with bookwench if you can find the "right" piece so the 2 focal points blend and don't clash at the same end of the room
February 26, 2013 at 7:34PM   
Terri Williams
Shorted, thanks for the feedback. The doorway to the next room (kitchen) is on the same wall as the tv, next to the chair. Anything larger than the chair would block traffic.
I would like to put the tv to the side of the fireplace though, as was also recommended. I'm not sure if it would work so I'll have to measure. My husband just bought it and there aren't that many walls large enough for the darn thing.
February 26, 2013 at 7:45PM   
shortped
I meant next to fireplace but would have to find right piece so as not to clash
February 26, 2013 at 7:55PM   
shortped
Would try to find a mid century buffet type piece with legs so does not bump into hearth and needs to be wide enough for that large tv to look right??
February 26, 2013 at 7:57PM   
mainstreetschool
Looks like you are trying to ignore the fireplace. This room is too small to have 2 focal points at opposite ends of room. Get sliders from local hardware, big box, or dollar store to make moving furniture around till you figure it out. Put TV on wall beside fireplace, or above fireplace. Put library bookcase where TV is, with red chair and ottoman, to make a reading corner for you, while hubby enjoys his big TV. Put love seat on wall where sofa is with end table on side toward fireplace. Put sofa perpendicular to wall making an L facing the fireplace/TV wall. Use arc lamp over it for lighting. Love the coffee table.
February 26, 2013 at 8:01PM   
shortped
My idea too Main Street school....always need the reading nook...I would reverse the sofa and love seat though if too close to sliding doors
February 26, 2013 at 8:08PM