Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Depressing Bathroom
Anna Bee
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello - First time posting here, but I'm a big fan of this site and have gleamed some great info from reading your posts :)

I am in the process of buying my first home. Absolutely love the downstairs of the townhouse, but the upstairs has its challenges. As a single mom - the location near family and in a great school district was at the top of my priority list. As a recent college grad - there are few homes for sale in this area in my price range, so I jumped on what I could!

So here's my dilemma - when I think of my master bath it brings to mind a dungeon... There is not a single window in the space. Builder tile. The layout feels very awkward with the divided vanity and random wall between the shower and bath. Dark and ugly, whereas my style is more light and airy.

Could you please offer some recommendations on making this bathroom feel brighter and more natural? The expenses with this move are really adding up! I'm thinking I can invest up to $500 off the bat, so both short term and long term ideas would be a help.

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
First of all, that bathroom has a fantastic footprint. Too bad the shower isn't open to the bath. Nice to have the toilet separate. Replace those doors with glass ( obscure ) lots and lots of different styles. That'll defiantly bring some light into the space. Skylights are another option of course.
February 19, 2013 at 7:04pm   
radhannoo
If you want to personalize the vanities, you can upgrade the taps. You can also use oval mirrors. For longer term, you could invest in a sun tunnel to brighten up your bathroom.
http://www.velux.ca/consumer/products/sun_tunnel_skylights
February 19, 2013 at 7:05pm     
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
And by the way, I like the divided vanity. It would be fun to play with 2 totally different vanities sharing the same space yet complimentary to one another
February 19, 2013 at 7:10pm   
loroca
If you want more light, maybe invest in a frosted door. You can get frosting kits and diy on a tight budget. Then get a nice shower curtain. Not exactly sure what your style is, so i posted ones that i consider "airy".....hope you like it
February 19, 2013 at 7:14pm   
PRO
Mega Builders
Not in your current budget, but if you want an open feeling and a sense of a larger bath AND enjoy taking showers more (no longer in a small, confined space), as part of a complete remodel I would suggest tearing down the wall separating the tub and shower and constructing a pony wall instead (a short wall) and than using frameless enclosure to define and enclose the shower. A light at the shower's ceiling will help as well and in-wall niches for soap and shampoo in lieu of protruding shelves.
Alas, as noted, this is part of a complete (and rather costly) remodel. Maybe one day?
Good luck!
February 19, 2013 at 7:16pm     
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Quick fix, paint cabinets white, paint walls a beach glass colour, add crystal nobs to doors, replace faucets with something pretty and taller in polished chrome. Can't see your lights but perhaps these need replacing too. Add a large piece of art over the tub that leads you into it such as a beach that beckons to you with path through the dunes. Some colourful towels and your set. Enjoy your new home!
February 19, 2013 at 7:52pm     
AMN
Great short term suggs, Susan Mills Design!
February 19, 2013 at 7:55pm     
cnobleco
Looks like a great space! If you don't need both vanities, you could do away with the one on the side opposite the light switch and put in a nice armoire. You can get a gorgeous piece second hand-great place for your towels, baskets for your shampoos and lotions, etc. without being seen, and no ugly medicine cabinet. If you want light and fun, you could also consider the Asian style bowl with spigot, instead of a full fledged sink. Top it off with a gorgeous mirror and some bamboo that could tolerate artificial light. Enjoy your new home!
February 19, 2013 at 8:11pm   
aniluap2
Susan had great inexpensive fixes, I would just add putting a wood frame around the mirrors and update the light fixture as well and the bathroom will be very inviting. Good luck in your new home.
February 19, 2013 at 8:31pm   
Anna Bee
Thanks! You've helped me so much. Looking forward to making some changes. To start - Probably will do something mismatched like 2 different vanities or vanity/cabinet to break up the unease that the current split vanity is giving me :) and a glass door to closet. Oh and fresh paint! later - pretty tile going half up wall, remove the strange wall if possible, bye bye plastic shower. Phew, hope my bonus is good this year!
March 2, 2013 at 7:23pm   
aniluap2
Those are great ideas and will make a world of difference. You might want to shop thrift stores for cheap dressers or guest of drawers that can be adapted as vanities. Since they don't have o match it old be quite interesting
March 4, 2013 at 7:24pm