powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help, with the planning of our master bath suite for our new log home.
hbhwatkins
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am attaching a rough sketch of the master bath space that I have to work with. I actually have more than one sketch but can't come up with the perfect plan-- the one I am attaching shows the entire space I have to work with. The space is 30ft long and 12 ft wide + the space that is labeled "closet" off the right of the bath. I need to incorporate his and hers walk-in closets and walk-in shower and there is a jut out with tub--(is this the best place for the tub to gain addt'l space?) and would like a sunroom or coffee room on the end of the space with windows to allow light into the Great Room. I might be willing to give up a little of the closet at the end of the bath area. The shower is smaller than I want and I don't like the commode across from the shower and there isn't really a focal point. and there is not much dimension in the bath area, all a straight lines with doors in the middle--as you can see I need help with some decisions. :) Any and all input is much appreciated!!! Keep in mind the wall between the bath and great room is log. It will be square log with chinking. I would like to incorporate some stone somewhere and even other textures if needed. I am very visual and will know it when I see it-- I do know this is NOT what I want. Help Please!!! The master bath area is at the top of the sketch, (the way it loaded) I am sure you can rotate it-- Again thanks in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rinqreation
Why not share closets? Both a side. This way you could have a wonderful walk-in shower.

And a raised clawfoot bath?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:37AM
rinqreation
Something like this:
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 2:32AM
hbhwatkins
Thank you. So are you saying leave the tub in the "jut out" and sinks on either side and leave all the other etc as laid out? I am not set on that sketch, it was just a suggestion by someone and I am totally fine with rearranging it all to get the most out of the space. Any suggestions? Ideas anyone?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:39AM
hbhwatkins
Oh and I am not locked in to claw fooot tub --it could be soaker or garden with stone etc. I wish there were perfect picture of what I want in the space I have and I would be good to go. But I haven't found it yet.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:41AM
rinqreation
Yes, two separate sinks, a large 2p shower (steam cabin?) in the bottom of my sketch, the tub where you planned it, but I guess a drop-in would look better in a niche. Is there a window in this bathroom by the way?

And here's some pictures with seperate sinks:
Tranquil Spa Escape
Traditional Bathroom
Zen Space
Great Hills Customs
MASTER BEDROOM/BATH SUITE
Contemporary Bathroom remodel
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:27AM
wmpj
Have you spoken with any contractors or design/build companies yet for their advice? I'd suggest you talk to a few to see who you want to work with. They can help you determine the best location for everything. Keep in mind it's going to cost more to move plumbing around.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:59AM
hbhwatkins
Oh I see now what you are talking about--you put the shower where the smaller closet was. and the tub is still in the "niche". The niche where the tub is will be all windows Picture or Bay. If I keep this layout-- As I mentioned I want a sitting area at the end of this space so there will be some light coming from it through the closet too. What is your suggestion on the tub area and shower area and vanity for style and color? The long walls will be square log but I am willing to add other textures--I don't want all log walls. I would like to add some demension.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:09PM
hbhwatkins
wmp--we have talked to a log home company, most of their plans are in "squares" and are good start but I would like some customization and figured this was the best place with the most advice from the experts in the field. Would love to hear more suggestions. I just need visuals--I know it when I see it--just gotta know what I need to be looking for. Thanks for the heads up on the plumbing cost. Good point.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:13PM
rinqreation
What style does the couple like, what did you have in mind and what's the current situation/layout? How the bath should look depends on what the master bedroom and sunroom will look like, might be nice to get some cohesion.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:53PM
wmpj
I understand what you mean. It sounds like you're on the right track. I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice here.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:53PM
rinqreation
I forgot to ask; is this your home or someone else's?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:59PM
hbhwatkins
We are building a new square log home. And yes it is mine The master bedroom is partially shown on the sketch--there is a fire place on the exterior wall that is not shown. The rest of the sketch shows most of the house. The kitchen is another dilema--but one thing at a time :) I am overwhelmed now. There is a second level as well.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:07PM
hbhwatkins
I did forget to mention that I do like the sinks on either side of the door that would be the entrance from the master bedroom--however I was considering a sliding barn type door-- but I really like that idea for sinks if it gives me enough counter top etc--Also, if I don't go with the shower where the closet was how would you arrange it? Maybe a corner shower?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:17PM
rinqreation
A sliding door is still possible, hung on the masterbedroom side or inside the (hollow) wall. I have no idea on where to place the shower otherwise, this corner seemed to be the best solution (in my mind). I've built quite a large shower in our bathroom (former bedroom) and I would not go back to a regular stall, I love it's size! No elbows against the walls, no bumping into cold tiles when showering together, just fab. Another place for the shower is possible of course, but then a major part of your bathroom would be walkway. Plus I would not place the sinks and especially mirrors opposite a window (backlight).
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:52PM
hbhwatkins
great info--I would have never thought about the window and the mirrors--my first thought was it would reflect and give the bathroom more light--but I totally can see that is not a good idea. How much space will be needed for a shower you are talking about? Sounds like just what I want. I have an open- walk in shower now and love it
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:36PM
hbhwatkins
Would the corner near the niche for the bath tub be a big enough area? Or maybe I could use part of the niche for part of the shower.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:40PM
rinqreation
My shower is about 55'x39'. Start from there, a little bigger is beter, because a niche/rack for bottles and such can fit in. Or a little bench.

Other questions you could ask yourself are:
Do you really want to go through the bathroom every time to get to your closet? (Holly can get to hers from the other side) And how bad do you want this second closet? And what about closets next to the bedroom and bathroom towards sunroom?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:37AM
rinqreation
See if you do want the closet to go in the bottom corner, the shower would take a large chunk of the bathroom floor. Since the niche has a window in it, I'd only place the bath up there.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:45AM
rinqreation
While having a break I figured out a new layout.
This sketch might just be the best I've done so far. You both have a walk-in, but yours will only be accessible from the bedroom. If you make two sliding doors in the master bedroom, as if it were a large barn door, I bet it will look amazing.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 4:19AM
hbhwatkins
I like the two sink/vanity by the tub which will be in a "jut out" with windows but does anyone have any suggestion for the lay-out on the shower? I would like to move the toliet to other end of the bathroom so that it is not when you walk in. I also need idea of where to put linen storage --any ideas? I love the idea of the sliding barn door, can you lock these?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:13AM
rinqreation
There you go. Toilet out of sight. Linen next to the sink on the right. Shower opposite the bath (better looking too I guess)
Is his how you described it? I wouldn't mind having a bathroom like this :)
And there are locks made for sliding doors too.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:33AM
wmpj
I have some suggestions for you. How about moving the toilet over to where your husband's closet is. Half of that area can be the toilet and the other half can be a shower. This will give a 4'x6' toilet closet with a door and a 4'x6' shower. The linen closet can be placed where the current toilet is now. The wall space between the new shower and linen closet can be for a towel bar. This will mean you will have to share a closet with your husband but you can build an island or bench in the middle to separate the two spaces. You'll have to forgo the sliding barn door for the closet but you can do a pocket door. I think the sliding barn door would look bette on the entry into the bathroom like others suggested.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:38AM
hbhwatkins
Thank you wmpj on your suggestion and that is an idea however, on the other side of Hollye's closet(which is mine) is a Hollye's sunroom-- (12 X 8'6") it is just a small sitting area that can be entered through my closet or the great room, I know having a walk through closet isn't ideal but couldn't figure out any other way and it is another fire escape as well since there is a door going out to the hot tub on the back to the outdoor living space. So sharing a closet may not be a solution--I would like an island or a bench in the middle of the closet --may have to be pretty narrow--do you think that would look odd from the doors or be too much of an obstacle to walk around in the space I have in the closet (12X7)? I am not good at envisiong what it will look like. It kinda has to be drawn out for me--:) Oh and that was where I was planning to put the sliding barn door--use for the entry into the bath from the master bedroom--I probably wasn't clear on that. Sorry!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:53AM
hbhwatkins
rinqreation--yes that is what I was talking about --do you think that would work well? Also, is that enough space for my shower? I am not sure I understand about the linen area would you put in shelves on the wall by the vanity going into the shower? And yes I love the idea of the shower across from the tub since the tub has it's own floor space and doesn' take any of the floor space of the bathroom area. What do you think about the shower space being an open shower with a wall right across from the bathroom and a door on either side of the wall and the side walls angled? Then the potty in the corner and the odd little corner could be storage or the potty could be next to the shower and the linen storage in the far corner next to the closet. Just can't envision the potty corner area but I would like some angles on the shower instead of just the straigh walls and I would like it open withoug a door--I am thinking stone ---ideas anyone? And give your ideas about the closet lay out in the reply above if you don't mind.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:03AM
rinqreation
I'm dutch, so I think metric.
Your closet will be 7foot=210cm wide. Hanging takes 60cm, laying 40cm, walking at least 60cm, which makes 160cm. 50cm is not enough to have a second walkway and a bench. So to fit in a bench, you need to delete a cabinet from the 'original plan'.

The linen closet I drew is really a built-in (with/without doors, whatever you wish), which took a chunk off your large closet. If you'd only put shelves and a rod against the back wall, you'd have plenty of space on this half of the walk-in closet to place a bench too.

The shower I sketched is as wide as the bath, 110cmx180cm is large for a shower. I'm not the one telling you how to arrange your shower, I'm just having fun figuring out layouts with the picture you originally posted. I would get a door in the middle of the shower front, because I can visualize it looking good and the toilet and stuff fit in better this way (and out of direct view).

Could you describe the angles in the shower you invisioned?

I've made the doors green, the glass blue and the mirrors red. And a red stool. Hope this makes the visualisation a bit easier.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:27AM
rinqreation
You could close the niche for the toilet off with a door if you really wish not to see it. A bit like this:

0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:16PM
rinqreation
What's on your top list for tiles, style, colors?

0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:21PM
hbhwatkins
Wow that is a great visual--I realized I said en instead of invision--sorry for the typo--anyway I am thinking about a wall for the shower front directly across from the tub with openings on each side--a walk through shower with angled walls--like diagonally maybe? I know this would give a odd shape to fit in toliet and maybe a shelf. What do ya think?
Also, is the red in the closet is a dressing mirror? The stool is just to sit or is that a vanity area or what were you thinking? What is the H in the corner with glass --sorry I just couldn't figure it out.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:22PM
rinqreation
Guess you'll need to draw your shower idea for me, I just don't see it. Do you already have a new sketch you could post?

I like staight lines in construction and curved fixtures and rounded off shapes (bath, sink, pot, corners maybe), easier to build too. So in my view, angled looks odd.

Yes, dressing mirror. Yes, stool or bench, maybe vanity, as in: a place to put these type of things after the house is built.

Oh, I put in a H for heating, because I wanted to classify and partially close the corner. Since heating only needs to be reached for maintenance, I thought 'oh well, let's put an H in there'. :)
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:39PM
hbhwatkins
Also what are you thoughts for the organization for the closet?
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:43PM
rinqreation
I have none :)
Just see what type of things you have and need to store. Will there be shoes in there? Bedlinen? Vanity? Do you want a ready made system or a fully customized one? Consider those things and make a list of your needs and wants.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:49PM
hbhwatkins
I will try to find a picture and attach it with an idea of what my thoughts are on the shower
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:17PM