Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for the exterior!
cmiles85
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This house was built in 1970 and hasn't changed a bit. I would like to make the entrance standout more. I will be putting a wrap around drive in front and stairs up to the front. But I hate the white siding and soffit. Any ideas are welcome.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rinqreation
Nice house! Could you post more pictures of the front (closer) please?
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 1:28AM
traditionalguy467
First of all, I don't see an outdated old home, I see a sprawling ranch on a spectacular wooded lot, the size of which we don't see anymore, in contemporary tracts of today. It sounds as if you are putting in a curved driveway and steps leading up to entrance, in an attempt to formalize the exterior, and give it some presence. Athough I can't fully see the left gabled side of the home, and the exact size of the windows on the projecting wing, I'll comment on just what I see. I would suggest shutters on the two garage windows, and perhaps window boxes for flowers below to bring the windows proportionate to the other configuration of the windows. The color of the shutters should be a color that would look good against what appears to be a flagstone facade. A dark black or even a deep slate blue wood be attractive, maybe even a deep burgundy, with nickel hardware for the front door. Also, consider putting a cupola on top of the garage wing to give some character to the home, cupola should be in white. A new front door with updated hardware, flanked by new coach lamps on either side of the front door would complete the look. It looks as if there might be room to shutter the two windows on the left projecting wing, same as above, but again, can't fully see the home. Complete the drive with perhaps two coach lamps, large, on poles, in black, or consider entrance way lights at base of new drive, placed on masonry pillars to give a regal entrance. Be sure masonry is compatible with existing stone on home, or out of the same. Also, no shutters on main window to left of entrance door, beautiful on its own. You are looking for symmetry on the exterior. Best of luck, you have a beautiful canvass to paint on!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 2:24AM
PRO
The Color People
agree with both of the above. I can't see it well enough to give you any real advice and it appears to be a really nice looking ranch home on a beautiful wooded lot.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:14AM
cmiles85
Here are some additional photos.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:53PM
rinqreation
I like the white! But I guess my opinion don't count, you don't like it, so now what, right? ;) Light tan, really really light. And a fresh turquoise or cherry red front door, underneath a slender portico. Don't over-do it, the house is already quite graceful. Are you keeping/repainting the windows white?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 1:04PM