Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Decorating a small space
ahesson08
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Was wondering if I should put some type of curtain or shade between the bar area and kitchen? With it open it just seems very busy? Thoughts? Also another question regarding my decor in this pic, is it too busy? Should I just put one big main piece at the top of the bar area or do the little things look good?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ahesson08
Someone GIVE me ur opinion please!!! I'm about to put a pretty large bookshelf in the corner where the canvas boxes are stacked up.....
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 9:33PM
amafixer
It does look rather busy between the decor over the bar area and the items on the bar. Perhaps one larger item over the bar would look better. Try clearing some of the items on the bar, too.
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:16PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I'm not sure what you are talking about with the canvas boxes? But the opening to the kitchen should be treated as wall art it self ,remove everything above the opening. You might want to use the one small long sign just centered over the the opening about 2" above the casing. Another thing you could do is arrange the things on the bar top more intentional A large vase of flowers on the left side and 2 photos with a candle on the other side leaving the space in the center completely open. I would take the large fluer de lis and center it over the sofa with the crosses and things from over the snack bar grouped together would look nice. Pull the chair out of the corner and angle it more into the room below the bar then add a table and lamp in the corner where the chair is. Could you post a pic showing the other half of the room. I'm guessing all the seating is facing in one direction to a TV ?
3 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:29PM
ahesson08
Thanks for the comments yall, @kevd.... I already did the few things u suggested and it looks ten times better!!!!! Lol so no ill post some pics of the rest of the room, I'm getting a books shelf, just tall blk one very soon and want to put it in the corner behind the accent chair u can see some brown canvas boxes in the corner..... Do u still think I need to de clutter on top of open bar? If so can I use one if the pieces there? The problem with the lg fluer de leis going over the couch is the window. Do u think I should still put the crosses above the window? Do u think I should put a short curtain above both windows in this room? I need help we just moved from extremely large space to crazy small space and this is the den tv area also have my kids toys..... But I tried to make it look as nice as possible in that area. Tell me some more advice please! What u gave me was already great! Oh and I want to put an area rug, suggestions on color? Blk brown? But decor is what I'm working on now, thx
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:14AM
ahesson08
Oh yeah all facing the tv
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:17AM
PRO
Dynamic Interiors and Events
The bar area does look crowded. Clear it off and above the opening I would do 1 larger cross with the 2 smaller on either side.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:22AM
tennisanyone
Too many couches in this space. Do you need two couches? Where is the tv? Can you take a picture of the other side. I would take everything off the bar top and get two or three swivel stools so you can eat there and also swivel to see the tv. I think we can do alot better rearranging.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:28AM
handymam
I think that you should remove the stuff on the open bar area and work it into the rest of the room. If you want privacy to the kitchen only at some times, you may want to try some panel or louver shutters. You could shut them or open them and still have a neat clean look.

I think that both of your fleur de lis artworks are hung a bit too high. The round one might be better on the same wall as the rectangular one, by the lamp, it looks lost on the other wall, but perhaps it is just too high.

Maybe the reddish color in the armchair would be a good color for an area rug.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:28AM
handymam
I think the crosses might look nice one on either side of the opening if you remove the vase and tall dried flower thing on the left.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:30AM
handymam
I understand you have children, but I think the toys in the corner are a problem... Can they store them in their bedroom?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:32AM
tennisanyone
Drapes would frame the windows too. I would like to see the entire space.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:33AM
bevballew
Way too busy. I would move all the crosses to the opposite wall in a grouping. I would clear all the clutter and maybe just a set of candlesticks. The two wrought iron pieces are pretty but you need to lower and center the one on the wall nearest the pass thru by the dark brown couch. Move the other iron object on the other side of the dark brown couch on the same wall so there is a balance. Remove the vase that is on the table with the pictures...and maybe remove that table all together and find another place for the pictures or hang them but not by the pass thru. You want that area simple. And you need a window treatment, probably best a simple neat valance. An area rug would be pretty. No stools. It will make it too busy. People can talk thru the pass thru without bar stools. Crowded with two couches but you are meant to live there and enjoy it. It is not meant as a showroom so if you want a second sofa enjoy!
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:48AM
tennisanyone
I agree with bevballew in that it is too busy. I don't agree with doing a valence, outdated. If you use drapes on the windows, you will raise your eye up and it won't be cut off by a valence. I would get the furniture placement right first and then worry about where you will hang everything. The room is very off balance and if you just hang stuff anywhere, it will look worse rather then better. Bar stools at bar height would add to this space. Your kids can sit there and do homework while you cook too but I then would eliminate a couch but we need to see the other side.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:56AM
handymam
Tennisanyone, there are more pix below the first post that show more of the room.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:58AM
tennisanyone
OH Your floors are beautiful and the polka dot chair is great. So easy to work with. I would bring in that blue in drapes for both windows. and it would go beautifully with the brown couch. The toys are only temporary as kids do grow up so I like seeing toys in a space, just maybe not in that corner taking up space.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:59AM
tennisanyone
Thanks handymam, I see them but where is the tv?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:01AM
handymam
I think it is on the one wall she doesn't show as that is where the chairs are pointing. I am going to guess the front door is near there too and that is why the furniture is arranged that way.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:05AM
tennisanyone
I need to see a picture so I guess I will check in later. Arranging is more important then anything.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:10AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I would hold off on the book case. If you could post a pic of the TV wall that would help a lot then I could suggest a arrangement for the room. Right now I'm leaning towards putting a end table in the corner where the toys are and one in the corner where the boxes are. then move the loveseat closer to the corner. The TV wall might be the best place to 2 add book cases on either side about 6 ft tall. then get baskets for the lower shelves to hid the toys. But again I need a pic 1st of the TV wall. Then we can work with your pictures/art etc. I do think it already looks better. Kevin
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 10:27AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
As for the rug and curtains. I would start looking for a shear fabric with a large over print in a vine type pattern or a floral with a cream back ground and and a redish color that matches the reds in the chair. Or you could go with the greens too. For the rug I would measure the floor space and try to have the rug go just under the edge of the sofa's & chair etc. maybe a 6X9 but measure 1st. Because you have kids play in the room I would go with a multi lite chocolate brown blend or a creamy blend very thick shag rug. Something that won't show dirt. Something less expensive till the kids are grown. Kevin
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 10:42AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Also do you have the room measurements? That would be great.. I'm wondering which wall is the longest. Another thought on the window coverings You might want to use a curtain fabric that is opaque and over drape the windows to make them look bigger. On each side of the window just a foot on each side then use the sheers in the middle over the blinds. I will give you suggestions on the art once I can get more info but right now don't make more wholes in the walls. The art over all is to high. You seemed to be desperate to get the room finished. lol But take a little time and enjoy the trip. You already have a great start. You have a good eye for color, it's the placement that will make it great. I'm addicted to decorating and enjoy the chat with you. Kevin
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 11:00AM
bevballew
Wheni say valance I often mean even a roman shade. I should specify. I did not know valances are outdated. I thought having drapes would just be too much because the couch is so close to the window. Good point re bar stools but I think it just adds more clutter. But that is a good idea!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:39PM
ahesson08
Thanks everyone for all of the great imput....... So I like my furniture, not trying to change that just trying to make the room flow better with my decor and the placement of my furniture and all of the things I need and want to fit in that space! I move some things around today and will post some pics of that so yall can let me know which arrangement you think looks best in this space. If I could put the toys elsewhere trust me I would!!! I HATE Clutter and unorganization of things but like I said our new area is VERY small for us and all of our stuff so Im just trying to make what I have going look as best as possible! I still havent elimnated the things from above the open bar so just ignore that area but I will in a day or so work on taking those things down.....Right now just trying and wanting to focus on the placement of my furniture best fit or suit for the area. We def do need both couches in the space as well so eliminiating one of those is not an opition either..... I also am DEF going to get some curtains and rods to hang above the windows. Ok so thanks again everyone for the help and comments and feel free to keep them coming on ideas or suggestions of how I can make my things work in my small space! @ Kevin I will get those measurements for you and if u will post ur email on this pic I can just directly send u some pics to ur email for eaiser communication! Thanks :)
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:55PM
ahesson08
Ok here r some pics from when I rearranged the furniture a little.... Just moving and playing around, thoughts??? Ideas??? Preference?? From 1st layout to this one or new one? Here it goes :/
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:20PM
ahesson08
My entry way type area..... But thinking about moving entry bench by green couch right next to door and putting a bookshelf on side of tv or maybe 2 on each side..... Let me know ur ideas! Thx
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:24PM
ahesson08
I tried to hide the toy area behind the couch that's Angeles under the bar..... Maybe looks better than before? Which layout?? It suggest a new one for me to try :)
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:28PM
ahesson08
The different arrangements for y'all to see to compare or suggest new one :) thx!!!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:30PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
The angled sofa doesn't work there I would center each sofa on each window. Move the chair more towards the left of the breakfast bar face it back toward the sofas instead of the TV use two of the boxes next to it to serve as a low end table next to the chair. Remove the small shelf and hall tree out of the room. Add 2 book case 24"s wide and 6' tall on both sides of the TV Then work toys into the baskets on the lower shelves for the toys And for the books so you can get rid of the book rack too. Put the more square fleur de lis just over the TV. Put your largest end table in corner of the sofas with the bigger lamp on it, then the smaller table and lamp in the corner where the boxes are. Put the coffee table in front of the green sofa and get the rug to go in the same direction under it. Lower the other fleur de lis on the same wall it was. Then hang the group of 3 crosses closely together on the other side of the window. I would still add curtains as I mentioned before but over drape the window only over the green sofa to fill out the wall better accenting the longer wall in the room. When you walk in to the room you won't be seeing the toys right at 1st if you work them into the bookcases. You will see the sofa's and windows with no toys in the corner which will look more tidy and less cluttered as before. One other thing if you could afford it get a large bench storage ottoman for the toys and use it in place of a coffee table. That would really help with the toys. Have fun, Kevin
3 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:06PM
cani
Kevin, I thought the same thing. Move the toys from that corner and group the couches closer together. I also wondered if she switched the love seat and couch if that would give more room to put the shelf unit in the original spot where she wanted to put it and maybe store the toys in there. I like your idea of the shelves on each side of the TV though which would give that area a finished look.
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:08PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I know it's hard to give up furniture but place a add on craigs list for free and make some money for the new things. Kevin
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:08PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Yes I can see I mixed up the sofa & love seat the green is the loveseat and the brown is the sofa. Opps lol Put the longer sofa on the wall that is longer with the coffee table in front of it. Kevin
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:18PM
tennisanyone
Here is another thought. Move the tv between the windows and reserse the room. Move one couch where the end table is so it becomes like a divider between the front door and the other couch under the window., although I am not a big fan of my back away from a front door but in this case, it might be worth a try just by moving the couches I think I would rather see some toys when I enter then that huge tv. Move the hall tree to center on the wall and make that a reading nook/play area and put his little brown chair there too for the little guy in the picture. Remember, he will not be that age forever and then it gives him a bigger place to play. You might have to play around with this arrangement but I think that might work too. Take a picture and we will weigh in.
2 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:23AM
tennisanyone
This way you can see the tv from the kitchen too after you clean off the bar area and take away all those extra small tables for now and everything off the walls. It is important to get the arrangement right right. We can fill it in later. I still like my idea of bar height stools there too. Kevin is right, a sofa may have to go but if you are committed to keeping them both, lets try this new arrangement.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:27AM
bevballew
I do not like the new arrangement. In my opinion if you want two couches then keep them. If you can afford to start over then do so. You are not showcasing your house but living there. I agree to move that rack on other wall where the tv is. Not sure what you mean about reversing room. Would need to see it. I got the. Impression you just wanted to fix with what you have and was not asking about purchasing new things.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:11AM
tennisanyone
I dont like the new arrangement either that is why
I am suggesting moving the tv to the
Other side of the room in between the windows. Not sure if i woyld
Likevthat either but its worth a try I think this space requires
Moving things quite a bit until you get it right since she doesnt want
To get rid of one couch.
Costs nothing just to try it. You can always
Move things back
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:22AM
cani
tennisanyone, I like your idea of putting the TV in between the windows. I was thinking to maybe put the love seat instead of the couch with the back to the entry and then instead of leaving the couch against the wall to move it with its back to the bar. Don't know if it is too long to move it that way. It would really make TV viewing accessible from both couches. Only problem is now we have an empty space where the big couch was and I'm not sure that single chair would look good there.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 11:14AM
tennisanyone
I guess it is up to a hesson08 to try it. We can only make suggestions.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 11:49AM
auntyb
Angled couch isn't working. Looks like there is enough room to pull both sofas out just enough to allow drapes to hang nicely. Would suggest balancing out the windows by hanging drapes wide and high. Would recommend a non-shear fabric so you can achieve the effect of making the window appear wider. Also, bring your sofas closer together to create an "L" shape and place a table between. The polka dot chair and the kids recliner may have to be used elsewhere. There is way too much furniture in this room.

I think you should treat the window area as a bar which it appears that was the intention with the overhang. Add a couple of bar stools and this area will have purpose. Trying to neglect this is making it look odd.

Agree with the suggestion to remove everything off the walls and then rethink the design.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:04PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
Ahesson08, I've been thinking about your room and I really think he plan I gave you will work. There is only one concern. The bookcases might block that thermostat on the TV wall. Measure like crazy, you might have to go with shorter book cases on each side of the TV. Or opened back bookcases would be best. . I think keeping all the seating pieces is the most important. Keeping seating for six. I wouldn't worry about bar stools at all. Once you take away all the stuff near the opening it will be less of a feature. I think when you walk in the room your eye travels to the furthest point in the room and with the lamp and sofas there it would give a inviting look. With the small room every thing has to count and the hall tree seems to be something you can do without. That's the way I would look at everything in the room as you edit each purpose of your furniture. Kevin
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 12:51PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
PS Home Decorators Collection.com has a shag rug called cookies and cream that I think would be perfect for the room. The site is a sister to Home Depot. Kevin
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 12:56PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
My email is in my profile. K
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 1:19PM
tennisanyone
Kevin, it is worth a try. Like to see your suggestions in this room. Right now the layout is not working at all. I would clear the whole room and bring stuff back in one at a time. I would rather see/have bar stools for three then an extra sofa or an extra chair.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 1:43PM
tennisanyone
Ahesson08 Have you tried moving any of the furniture yet?
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 9:59AM