Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! My granite looks pink!
mitziegail
February 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We're building a house with a builder and the granite countertops were just installed today! Exciting, right?! In the office it looked clay colored, like a terra cotta. In my house it looks pink! Are there any paint colors that can offset the pink and bring out the clay? I attached a picture but doesn't show the pink hues well. I'm hoping once the backsplash goes in that will help as well.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Jil Sonia Interiors
Hi, gosh, that's frustrating when that happens isn't it? My thought is to try Shaker Beige from Benjamin Moore, that will tie in the counter top nicely. Will you be tiling the back splash?
Jil
Reflections Interior Designs
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:09PM
PRO
Castle Rock Construction
I would install a glass tile back splash that has yellow with red accent tiles
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:16PM
PRO
mitziegail
Yes, very frustrating! The backsplash is linear glass/tile. The colors are tan, brown, some medium gray, and cream. We like bold colors so I'm willing to use whatever colors we need to. I love a red kitchen, I painted my last kitchen wine red. Will that help with the pink issue?
2 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:25PM
mitziegail
Those are both super fun! Thanks for the suggestions! Here's what my backsplash looks like
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:28PM
PRO
Jil Sonia Interiors
Usually I select a 'quieter' backsplash for my client's kitchens - especially since your countertop is fairly busy. My thought is to select a more muted large subway tile. Most of my clients have a lot of items on their counters and want a cleaner look. That being said, if you'd already purchased the tile, Shaker beige will still work with this. I wouldn't suggest red, that will just play up the pink aspect.

If you love red, perhaps find another place to use that. Purchase a large piece of poster board and paint it up in a sample colour and hold it vertically and see how it looks with the counter top.

Your kitchen will be beautiful when you are finished!

Jil
Reflections Interior Designs
1 Like   February 19, 2013 at 10:36PM
mitziegail
Thanks, Jil! I love the poster board idea, that's definitely better than a color swatch. Unfortunately the builder only gave us a few options to choose from. We didn't get to really customize our house. Next time though :)
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:40PM
PRO
Castle Rock Construction
The quantity & the color of the light in your kitchen will make a difference of the color of your counter top. Using a backsplash with red accents should make the countertop read more red than pink. The backsplash that you have selected is very nice and would look great. But I don't think it will help you're issue. Play with the light in your kitchen and paint some different colors on your back splash and see if it changes the look and if you find a color you like. Find a tile backsplash that has the some tones and colors. paint is cheap!
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:51PM
PRO
Castle Rock Construction
Apologize for the bad grammar it's late.....
0 Likes   February 19, 2013 at 10:52PM
PRO
Jil Sonia Interiors
You sound like you have great taste and I'm sure what you select will be beautiful!
Jil, wwwReflectionsInteriorDesigns.com
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:17AM
sharpkl
Do you think you could see the granite as a light terra cotta? Since you have such bright light right now it may tone down as you introduce window coverings wall color etc. bring some fabric with terra cotta in and see if it blends nicely for an idea. I would definitely bring backsplash colors home to look at rather than picking out in store. The lighting is so different. I once bought carpeting in a store thinking it was pale beige and in my house it looked yellow. That taught me the biggest lesson. Always view at the place it will be installed.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:25PM
julie77777
mitziegale - Would love to see how your backsplash turned out!!
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 9:50AM
ika68
Medium gray will neutralize reflect. Chose warm ligths, yellow make pink look brown. Good luck.
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 9:58AM
Nancy Walton
Any cool color will still make the counter look pink. Some shade of yellow will lean the color toward terra cotta. When we moved into our house, the walls and ceilings were painted a pinky beige and the floor tile (a large expanse) looked extermely pink! I warmed it up with a gold color on the walls, creamy white on the ceiling, with accents of medium greenish brown and the tiles now look more terra cotta.
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 10:11AM
mitziegail
Thank you all for your responses. Here's a picture of how it turned out. I'm super happy with it! The burnt orange really set it off and helped tone down the pink.
6 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 10:21AM
Nancy Walton
Great look!
0 Likes   Thanked by mitziegail    July 22, 2013 at 10:54AM
julie77777
Beautiful!! Thanks for posting the pic!
0 Likes   Thanked by mitziegail    July 22, 2013 at 11:43AM
house2514
could you please tell me the measurements of your island? great job on kitchen!
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 11:58AM