Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my living room
minie
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would really appreciate any feedback you can give me on my living room design and arrangements, as I get a vibe from it that something is not right. Any thoughts are welcome. As you can see from the photos attached it is an open plan living room/dining room in a 3 bedroom apartment. Thank you
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
josifgjani
looks great. nothing should be changed
February 20, 2013 at 1:26AM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
The first thing that will make a big difference will be to remove a lot of the things that you have on your shelves - particularly on the TV area. Try to streamline some of the elements so all the books are neatly stacked and similar colours (this does make a visual difference). Go around your room and take down anything that does not have a grouping of three or five (eg vases). Put whatever you can away in your kitchen so that as much of it is out of sight. If you need the things out, be very strict about what you leave out. This will declutter the kitchen area.

Next we need to know - do you want to repaint and retile/carpet - or do you just want to change a few small things? This will help us to help guide you through the process.
February 20, 2013 at 1:40AM     
minie
Thank you very much for your suggestions. I feel as the room is too dark but I do not know what to do about it. To give some more details: the living room windows faces west and the kitchen window faces south so the room has sun all day. The pictures are taken at night. I have budget available to do any changes recommended, it is just that I need opinions on what to change and how. Pictures would be more than welcome.
February 20, 2013 at 1:45AM   
lilywaffles
I would start by painting the walls an Ivory colour, and perhaps add side lights, and fluorescent halogen. A good idea would be to add some huge mirrors in front of windows or light, as this would create more light. Finally I would change the flooring colour to Ivory marble + the same with curtains. Also, you could use scotch yarding, to protect materials from stains.
Hope this helps :)
February 20, 2013 at 2:03AM   
Saleha Shah
I agree with the lesser clutter idea...i think the place needs a little grouping, the sofa near the tv is a little out of place and needs to be moved so to create a distinctive tv lounge area, with all sofas in a talking position to each other..All your stuff is good... need a glass table in front of sofas for a complete formal look, Your chandies are not throwing right light, invest a a few floor lamps if possible... not much budget riquired
February 20, 2013 at 2:07AM   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Wow, Edit is the best word for what needs to be done. Also there is no common theme or cohernt idea or decor style going on. Modern sectional, victorian drapes, etc. Billy Baldwin said that chairs need to speak to each other. Nothing in this room speaks to another item. I agree start by removing all the small items on the shelving unit and see if you can get a bigger TV that actually fits in the space for the tv. Can the toys be put in a childs room or in a storage trunk that could double as a coffee table Take all the paintings lined up like soldiers and group them on the wall collage style.
Can the floor be changed? It reallly fights with the rug. If cant be changed then put in a rug with no pattern like a wall to wall carpet that has been cut to size and bound. I get the feeling that the room is really a pass through to the kitchen with all the furniture against the walls. Is there any way that the furniture can be place to be more cozy.The round wall in the dining area seems really cool as do the ceiling medallions. Can this be the focal or jumping off area to start a cohesive look? I really hate to sound so harsh and I know I will get blasted for these comments but I am responding honestly. I do not mean to hurt your feelings.
February 20, 2013 at 2:18AM     
lusinger
I love the art work but it's hung in straight lines. I would try changing heights or making groupings
February 20, 2013 at 2:48AM   
minie
lpmenache: thank you for the comments, I really appreciate it and I think the same way as you do for everything that you said. No harsh feelings at all. I am just not good at interior design thing and lack all the senses for color/style combination. Again thank you.
February 20, 2013 at 4:06AM     
minie
need more feedback please
February 20, 2013 at 11:59AM   
decoenthusiaste
Two changes could make a world of difference. One is cheap - get control of the clutter. Get boxes and label them "Don't Want," "Warm Season" and "Cool Season." Give away the don't want box, store the one not in season, and save the current season box to decorate with. The other is expensive - change the flooring. I see an odd shaped buffet near the kitchen in front of the window. I would replace the huge entertainment center with that single piece. Paint it to match the bases on the sofas and put the TV on it. Flank the TV with the two loungers. Take down all the art and use only the the two large pieces that are above the sofa. Put one on each wall, centered over the sofa and 6" above the back of it. Replace the light fixture with a modern drum fixture more in keeping with the sofa style.
February 20, 2013 at 12:16PM   
PRO
I suspect the art is sentimental so I would take all the art down, Arrange it in collage form till it looks right and then put it over the largest wall. i do like decoenthusiast's idea of the 3 boxes. Hopefully most will go in the dont want or need box. If you can not change th eflooring, change the carpets to something more neutral.
February 20, 2013 at 8:34PM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
can I suggest you paint your walls in a colour that is picked up from your carpets - it is hard to see in this light, but look at any of pale colours and choose one.
I agree with Decoenthusiaste's suggestions - particularly about changing the flooring - can you retile?
February 20, 2013 at 9:14PM   
Donna Van_Atta
Lose the rugs,to much red and way to much pattern for those floors.find a neutral solid rug.lose the clutter.clutter makes to much stimuli for the noggin.
February 21, 2013 at 12:30AM   
Donna Van_Atta
Lose the table cloth too. Paint wall a darker shade than couch.use your color in your artwork and pillows.th Gus solid in the dark color like black mocha etc. no offense but my first thought is this reminded me of an old Chinese restaurant.:/ .nice couch and ent. Though.nice kitchen just lose rugs there too.maybe curtains too if you don't love them and use color in accents.
February 21, 2013 at 12:42AM   
Donna Van_Atta
@rugs. Auto correct.u do have great space though.Have fun with it.
February 21, 2013 at 12:50AM   
minie
thank you all for the valuable comments. I will de-cluster and change the carpets to neutral colors. I would really appreciate if you could give me any ideas on the color that I should get the new carpets and what sizes the new carpets should be, same size as the actual carpets or smaller. Unfortunately, I cannot change the floor tiles as under them runs the whole chiller system water tubes used for heating and cooling the house, which might get damaged.

I have some other questions that I would like to get your feedback:
1. what to do about the curtains? Should I change the red ones to neutral color in order to avoid too much red in the room, and if yes, what color should be best? Or should I change the whole curtain design, if yes, could you be more specific with pictures on what design to do for the window archway?

2. The reorganization of the sectional - how to do it without throwing it away as it is brand new and very expensive? Also, the side sofa will definitely go but what to put in its place?

3. could you suggest if I should add colorful decorative pillows in the sectional or would that be too much color in the room?

4. any pictures of living rooms similar to mine are more than welcome

5. what color should I paint the walls, it is mustard color at the moment, knowing that the living room windows face west and kitchen windows face south?
February 21, 2013 at 12:51AM   
Donna Van_Atta
February 21, 2013 at 12:54AM   
rouxb
Edit the seating-the sofa is huge. Remove a section along the short wall so the lounger part does not extend past the wall. I think the rug is fine, it just creates a lot of heat with that wall color and all the "stuff".
Donna Van_Atta
Donna Van_Atta
February 21, 2013 at 12:59AM   
Donna Van_Atta
The pics I shared were to show how to leave the furniture,rugs. And sofa neutral. Add color to art and pillows and accessories.rug in living room same size.under dining same.in kitchen smaller.what do u like because I see modern,traditional,etc.? I showed u modern because of your art.
February 21, 2013 at 1:06AM   
Donna Van_Atta
Yes definitely change red curtains to a neutral.tell us colors u like.
February 21, 2013 at 1:09AM   
Chelsea
I would paint the walls a light, warm neutral color. Behr makes a color called adobe straw that I personally love, although it might appear too red in your space (a good starting point though). Then would get rid of the bulky entertainment center and mount the tv on the wall. Get a wall mounted media cabinet for under it. Then you can regroup artwork on either side for balance. That sectional takes up a llot of visual space so I would try to break it up a bit. Could you take one of the smaller sections out and place it elsewhere? Either in the room or another. Get a beige toned rug. Leave the pillows on the couch as is. Let your art do the color talking. I would like to see a color on the wall in the kitchen. And opt for a more neutral colored drape. I like the idea of a trunk or a storage ottoman for a coffe table and toy storage. Get something with legs though since that sectional is so visually heavy.
February 21, 2013 at 1:27AM   
nancy22032
I think your room is beautiful - it reminds me of living rooms I have seen in pictures from the middle east. You would be happier if you pulled the curtains away from the glass part of your windows, You can use wider rods so the fabric hangs beside the window not over it. Using the sheers and drapes does keep out too much light. I would just use drapes that you could close at night for privacy. Not everyone likes neutral colors, they follow fads, for a while it's beige, then grey, then greige. Go with the color you love, De-cluttering would help you feel more comfortable.
February 21, 2013 at 1:34AM   
minie
Nancy22032 - it is funny you mentioned the middle east because I live in western Balkans and we are very much influenced by middle east style. I have lived 8 years in USA, completed my education in Boston, and when I came home I found the house to be too much to tell you the truth. It is funny how growing up with two different styles affects a person. In my case, it has confused me even more to the point that my brain has gone blank in dealing with interior design. For the curtain suggestion, I cannot take out the sheer drapes as it is up for privacy issues. In my country, apartment buildings are build next to each other and anyone can see inside your house - it is weird but it is the norm here. thus we keep curtains, sometimes heavier, for privacy issues. I have blinds outside all windows but closing them all day makes the room dark.

decoenthusiaste - I cannot put the two loungers where the ent. is located currently, because they will be in the way of the living room door (you can see from the photo where my son is in it)

I guess I am really stuck with this one...

Donna Van_Atta - the carpets have beige, subtle blue and subtle sage green flowers in them. I think to paint the walls either papaya color or off white color with gray in it. I have adobe straw in the kitchen walls currently and it looks too red with all the red going on in the room. I think I will go for papaya color/light beige color for the red curtains as well. Do you think this color will match with the white sheer curtains?

Thank you all for your inputs. I would certainly welcome additional feedback.
February 21, 2013 at 2:59AM   
minie
some more info on the arch window - there is wall where the red curtains are placed. the wall separates each of the windows. I have put sheer white curtain on each window, and the red curtain on the wall of each window. the wall is as thick as the red curtain. I had to explain in case it was misleading you to think that I have placed the curtains on windows.
February 21, 2013 at 3:57AM   
inkwitch
Ok, here goes.
1. Pick a color scheme. Sage green/tan/cream/orange blue/white/yellow red/tan/chocolate.
It doesn't matter what combination you choose, but buying/painting/decorating without a color scheme is a recipe for what you have. So you're first decision is: what do you love? Do you love red? Blue? Orange? Turquoise? Once you've made that decision, you go to a paint store and look at color chips. You take them home and decide which ones to reject - too yellow, too green, too pale, too blah.

THEN you buy paint samples and you paint a patch on the walls in the colors you think you like. You'll be amazed how different that looks from a 4x4 paint chip in store lighting. I went through 6 samples before I decided on a LR color. Stare at it for several days in daylight, night light. Colors change according to your lightbulb color.

If you love your red carpets and don't want to replace them, that limits your color scheme. If these carpets can be used in another room, good, and replace with something that is child proof, stain proof, and coordinates with your wall color, that sofa, not just some "beige" or "tan" color that may turn out to be too yellow or too pink to go with the walls or the furniture. Get samples to take home and put with your furniture. You already have a lot of beige and black with that sofa.

Whatever possessed you to buy that sofa? Did a man have too much influence on this decision? Never -- NEVER allow the average man who isn't trained/severely focused on interior design to make furniture/color/anything decisions. Or furniture salesmen. It's a good sofa, dramatic, and extremely modern. YOu just have too much of it. At least 1 lounger and probably one section should go somewhere else. AND it limits what you can do with color. Whatever color you pick for the walls has to mesh with that sofa or you will have the same problem you have now.

Draperies: pick something pale and lined -- cream linen or canvas (washed, it makes great curtains, is heavy and insulating). This has to coordinate with your wall color. In Kitchen, use roman shades or bamboo, get rid of the valance, and don't use the same color unless it's all cream or "tan." Replace the red runner with smaller washable rugs in front of sink and stove (amazing how much stuff drops on the floor!) Actually, I sort of like the lace sheers. WIth less formal draperies and in a light color, they will blend well.

I have to go to work, so that's all I can say now. If you make a decision on colors and after you've decluttered, take some more photos. Definitely wall-mount the TV. And find storage for toys. You'll be amazed how much getting rid of stuff you really don't want can make you feel! I call it "purging" and you'll feel like you've lost 10 lbs!
February 21, 2013 at 4:01AM     
PRO
I suspected you could not change the floor as I suspected you were located outside the US. I would go with a solid colored rug the color of the fabric cushions on the sofa. I have no problem with the color of the walls.. If the sectional can somehow be made smaller that would be good. Obtain a coffee table that you can put one or two accessories that have the same color as the walls. Find a nice fabric that has pattern in it that ties all the colors together. Since you are in the Balkans, a IKAT or Susani style fabric should be easy to find. It will give texture, interest and color. Once you do this see how the room looks. You might not need to change the red drapes at all. I would change the white victorian style curtains to something more simple to go with the more modern vibe of the sofa. I think that the last thing you do is paint the walls. The bottom line is that right now nothing speaks to another item in the room. With editting all the little things out, changing the rugs, fixing the paintings and adding some pillows on the sofa that ties the whole thing together you will have a great start.
February 21, 2013 at 5:23AM   
minie
made some of the changes suggested: changed rugs, curtains and cleared some cluster. opinions and recommendations are always welcome.
February 27, 2013 at 12:04PM     
minie
some more photos
February 27, 2013 at 12:06PM     
inkwitch
Incredible! Isn't it amazing what happened to that room when you took out the red curtains! And the neutral rugs are a big improvement. THe windows around your dining area are just stunning, and don't the lace shades work so much better! Love it!

I would continue to declutter. Sometimes items take on a new meaning when you put them away and then pull them out six months later in a different season. The entertainment area needs more streamlining. So does the hutch in the dining area. ANd you could do away with the little table to the left of the dining table; possibly replace with a nice potted plant. You certainly have the light for it.

Kitchen area looks so much better as well! Congratulations! YOu're getting there!
February 27, 2013 at 6:48PM     
Chelsea
Those windows are amazing! And I love the ceiling medallions now. They really pop. The yellow walls even work better with the neutral rugs. If you really want your art to pop you should try painting the walls the same color as the dinning area.
February 27, 2013 at 8:54PM   
gkemp
I love the new curtain color, it goes well with your sectional. I am not a fan of the area rugs. I think the colors are off. Your sectional and curtains have a pink beige undertone, the new rugs seem to be blue-green and do not relate. The front feet of the sofa's & chair should rest on the edge of the rug. Also, the dining table should be centered on the rug. I would suggest a mid tone solid color for the area rugs, maybe a dark mushroom or taupe. Can you shift the tv unit a little more towards the door? Even 8" or so would help to allow the feet of the chair on the rug. If you want to introduce blue, It would have to be darker than the muted blue-green of the area rug.
Lastly, the ceiling fixture near the dining room doesn't relate to the table. Can you move it?
February 27, 2013 at 9:50PM   
minie
Thank you all for your comments and opinions. Truly appreciate it. I would not have gotten here without your help. The room really does appear bigger and much taller once the red carpets and curtains have gone and we feel that we can now breath much better.

gkemp: the sectional has a beige and gray undertone, not pink, but the picture does not do it justice. I took the picture with my cell phone so the pixels are way limited in that way. The rugs have muted green, blues and beige that spread in a watery way, the same way the fabric of the sectional does (i.e. if you touch the fabric of the sectional from left to right the color changes shades from lighter beige/gray to darker. I selected these rugs because they are top quality Belgian rugs, have all the colors of my paintings and wall decor in them but the colors are muted so they do not overwhelm the room, and have geometrical forms similar to my brick color floor slate. The dinning area rug, under the dinning table, has muted greens, blues and beige and red and orange. Again the color of the picture does not do justice. The reason why I selected a stronger color for the dinning table rug was because I wanted that archway section to be the focus of the room. And indeed, when you enter the room, that rug looks like the sun is smiling softly at you, day and night.

inkwitch: thank you for your words of encouragement. The small table at the left of the dinning table is the coffee table for the sectional. It is the miniature of the dinning table. I have placed it where it is only temporarily because with small kids running around and jumping on the sectional all day long, I am afraid they might get hurt at the sharp sides of the coffee table. Also, the remaining cluster is only temporarily as well, because since all the items are breakable, I have put them all in the upper space of the ENT to avoid the kids from breaking them. Once the kids are more responsible, I will place them properly, thus eliminating the cluster look.
February 28, 2013 at 12:22AM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
wow, great improvement here - well done!
February 28, 2013 at 12:42AM   
PRO
Very nice so far and a big change. Dont forget to rearrange the art work. keep up the good work.
February 28, 2013 at 4:40AM     
minie
any suggestions for the wall paint color. Would prefer to keep it neutral but I am open to new ideas as well. thank you...
February 28, 2013 at 4:54AM   
minie
lpmenache: since I cannot rearrange the actual art work as the pieces are big, can I put small art plates on top of the three artworks above the sectional part that is facing the ENT? If yes, should I put them in straight line or triangle? you can refer to the picture at the beginning of my post to understand the wall I am referring at. thank you
February 28, 2013 at 5:04AM   
minie
any suggestions for the wall paint color. Would prefer to keep it neutral but I am open to new ideas as well. thank you...
March 1, 2013 at 1:10AM   
starzzzinhereyes
A blue grey might be nice :)
March 1, 2013 at 4:47AM   
minie
what color pillows should I add on the sectional to bring it to life? What color should I paint the walls of the living room? Thank you
November 1, 2013 at 4:47AM   
More Discussions
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Living Room/Dining room - want to flip spaces
I am having trouble envisioning how to arrange my living...
I need advice on what to put in my kitchen where the washer and dryer
I did a small remodel in my kitchen and I'm left with...
Need advice! My cats are shredding my beautiful Pottery Barn rug!
I spent months looking for the perfect area rug for...
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.