Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help choosing an area rug
jenparks
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
All of my throw pillows have different patterns. I want to purchase an area rug but don't know what rug would look great , should I buy a solid color ? or is another pattern ok ? or should I get rid of some of these pillows so that I don't have too much going on?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
I would add a few solid pillows and remove at least 2 of the patterned..Two patterns with solids is enough pattern..For a rug u could do one with some pattern in it. Your sofa is brownish? If it is brown, u need some pillows with brown in them to tie your greys and browns together, your drapes look brown and grey?
February 20, 2013 at 5:34AM     
jenparks
Hi Jayme, Ok getting rid of some pillows sounds like a good idea, the Sofa is actually called Aventura Grey , sometimes it looks brownish and sometimes greyish... and the curtains are grey and like a wine/plum . Where did I mess up ? I love the yellow but not sure if that's what I should get rid of ?
February 20, 2013 at 5:39AM   
Jayme H.
One of these type rugs with your colors could work. If u get a patterned rug, I would cut down on the patterned pillows..maybe using a stripe, and solid and/or mixing in one ike the black one in the middle.
February 20, 2013 at 5:41AM   
0825sam
On the pillows here's something I found yesterday about how to mix them
February 20, 2013 at 5:48AM   
Jayme H.
Pics of rooms with similar colors...not too much pattern...colors that tie into each other
February 20, 2013 at 5:49AM   
Jayme H.
This pic shows some pattern in the rug and pillows...just not so many
February 20, 2013 at 5:52AM   
jenparks
Sam0705 thank you for the link! I think I'm starting to get it !
February 20, 2013 at 5:55AM     
Jayme H.
You have a really nice room, mixing patterns is so hard to do anyway/and too many gets looking busy..try for some solids, one or two others with a pattern with all of your colors together...It is hard to add a patterned rug in with a lot of other patterns also..
February 20, 2013 at 5:58AM   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, pick 2-3 of your favorite pillows and put the other once in storage for now. The rug could have some yellow and gray tones.

February 20, 2013 at 6:02AM   
jenparks
Jayme, I loved that geometric rug you showed me, i think my hubby wants more of a shaggy rug though... so that will probably meed to be my first decision.. As far as the pillows I'm definetly going to get rid of some i have some that arent my faves in the mix anyway. I love all the images you showed me. I also recently purchased a lamp very similar to the one in the third image so this gives me hope
February 20, 2013 at 6:07AM     
jenparks
Dytecture , thank you Im loving the idea , thank you for that image it's great inspiration!
February 20, 2013 at 6:11AM   
PRO
Alcove Decor and Furniture
Jen, we carry larges collection of area rugs. Persian high quality hand tufted area rugs. Just a suggestion,we always tell our customers this, shaggy rugs shed a lot for first month or so, hand made ones that is. Machine made rugs not so much. But hand made rugs do shed a lot, some times more than months. this is their nature. There is a special way to vacuum these rugs. Shedding does not mean that they bad quality. They suppose to do that. At some point you might get frustrated with all the wool all around the living area.
February 20, 2013 at 7:45AM   
PRO
Citapore
A woolen shaggy rug might add cosy touch to this decor
February 20, 2013 at 8:07AM   
jansgirl
How do you tie in the plum/wine in your drapes to the rest of your room?
February 20, 2013 at 8:17AM