Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room decor
kkeith323
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help adding to/changing things up/rearranging with my living room bc I feel like its lacking something! Room has plenty of space and a vaulted ceiling to help with the ambiance. It's the family room that we are in most of the time so I want it to look great but be cozy and comfortable!
(Let me know if different picture angles wanted)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
May we see all four walls as in photo #2? Would suggest you use a paintable chase to hide the TV cords. Your window and FP style is crying out for crown molding. The room needs the softening of drapery panels at the sides of each window. Mount rods just below the crown when installed and let the panels fall freely to kiss the floor.
February 20, 2013 at 10:28am   
dmcjsb
What are the dimensions of this room?
February 20, 2013 at 10:45am   
groveraxle
I think your room is lovely, but to me it cries out for a bit more excitement in the rug and pillows. Just a bit...
Albino Zebra Rug
If...Then Pillow
February 20, 2013 at 10:54am     
kkeith323
Fireplace wall is approx 21 ft with 2 large windows... opposite the fireplace is open to kitchen. Left hand side is approx 23ft long. Right side only has 6ft wall w/ window bc it has opening to breakfast area. Here's a sketch from myself (not an artist haha)
February 20, 2013 at 11:38am   
kkeith323
Also the power cords are an upcoming project to get it routed behind the wall! Any advice for color curtains?
February 20, 2013 at 11:40am   
hollyskog
Just a little more color and texture and you have it. Lose the tv wires if you can spoils everything.. I'm like Joan Crawford. NO WIRES!!! Her deal was wire hangers. Old movie:)
February 20, 2013 at 11:56am     
hollyskog
Oh sorry missed the last post.. I was wondering. You did such a good job and left the wires???
February 20, 2013 at 11:58am   
decoenthusiaste
Like the pillow, groveraxle - been suggesting it myelf!
February 20, 2013 at 1:06pm   
kkeith323
Pic from other view like someone requested
February 20, 2013 at 1:38pm   
decoenthusiaste
Yes, now I see where the wires are going. Hope a better solution will emerge to replace that under scale stand for the gear. Can see right away that the mirror and sconces are hung too high, but I'm not a fan of mirrors that don't reflect anything beautiful or interesting, so I'd prefer art. Pieces with furniture look better at 4-10" above the piece. With the exception of the coffee table, the table, gear stand and lamps are too small scale, skinny and feminine for the scale of the furniture. My biggest issue is with the color of the sofas - pink by the looks of the pics. Have you considered slip covering them with something like a tan or cream cotton duck cloth? They are clashing with the warm yellow tone of the walls.
February 20, 2013 at 1:47pm   
kkeith323
only reason the mirror and scones are hung that high are bc its a high vaulted ceiling and I though maybe it would need to take up some of that space.
the sofas actually are a very light tan color... camera must made it appear pink
February 20, 2013 at 4:05pm   
Suzanne Regimbal
A lovely room, because the ceiling is vaulted you want to make it feel more cosy so bring the mirror or I would prefer art work lower about 6'' above your sofa. Move the sofas into the room to be closer to the fireplace. The sofas are very light you need rich warm colours with pillows and a throw,bigger carpet with colour. When you move the sofa place a sofa table behind it, it will be a good place for a lamp.:-)
February 20, 2013 at 4:40pm     
decoenthusiaste
People and furniture live in the first 7-8' of a space. Above that, there is no need for decor. You'll never be able to fill all that up and the scale of items you'd need would break the bank. It serves to increase utility bills, but that's about it. Some folks with open vaulted spaces are closing them in for media rooms, so they can justify what they're paying to heat and cool them!.
February 20, 2013 at 4:44pm   
Judit
You may want to try coastal style?
February 20, 2013 at 4:50pm   
More Discussions
How to do sound proof to bare wood ceiling?
This is the bare wood ceiling of a room in the basement....
Corian vs. Granite?
What are the pros & cons of Corian vs. Granite?
I need some design advice for my dining room.
Hello, I need some help with the design of my dining...
need help for the color of the flooring of white walls villa
Any ideas for the color of the flooring and aluminium...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.