Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Living room upholstery
runaway03
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm redoing the seating in my living room. Most of the old stuff is already out, so I'm not distracted by old colors. The room is multipurpose: formal living room, family media room, and library. My style is a cross between country and traditional. Open floor plan with a dark blue dining room and blue and gold kitchen visible. I'd like a deep red club chair on either side of the tv and a loveseat in the space between the living room and dining room. The dark blue recliner will stay for now, to be replaced by another chair in a blue pattern (probably) at a later date. The multicolored chair may or may not stay as an accent piece. What color for the loveseat? More red? Seems like a lot. Golds clash terribly with the carpet. I hate dark brown. No plaids or trendy paisleys, please. Should the chairs be solid or pattern, possibly a small diamond? Stripes somewhere? The frames of the chairs and loveseat will be very basic and traditional. Skirted with rolled arms. I will also be getting one ottoman to match the chairs, so that when not in use the chair by the desk will resemble a chaise. Also, should both chairs be the same fabric and the loveseat different, or all three the same, or one chair different, or possibly each piece in a different fabric? All opinions are welcome, please!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Sounds like you know what you want. My suggestion would be to build in the TV wall for it and for decor and storage. I don't think I'd be keeping any of the furniture presently in the room though. Have you considered a Chesterfield sofa?. Skirting is a bit dated, as is golden oak.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/1024337/-traditional-family-room-charleston
Kitchen eating area built-in
Chesterfield Sofa
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:24AM
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:46AM
PRO
Carey & Co
I commented on this room a few minutes ago and now I see the entire space. My neutral, textured furniture color comments from then still stand but I would but the bookcases on either side of the tv and hang the tv on the wall. The table could be painted the red color you like with a glaze and remain under the tv and used for accessories, the component on the floor, etc. (BTW, components don't necessarily have to be right next to the tv anymore if you have a place to hide it nearby.) The desk and art could move to the space on the left where the one bookcase is now. The small tables, floor lamp can be used next to your new loveseat. Think about a large red ottoman with casters in front of the neutral sofa - put your feet up from any of the furniture pieces and then have a tray to set drinks on. Pick small comfortable chairs in a similiar fabric color - possibly with a small geometric design to make the space comfortable and appealing. A tailored valance from the ceiling in front of your bay window in a patterned fabric bringing the red and gold into play would bring the room together.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:46AM
runaway03
I'm trying to avoid mounting the tv on the wall. I rearrange furniture obsessively, and that would definitely limit things. Splitting up the bookcases is a possibility since the desk will have to be moved when the chairs come. Red patterned chairs and a neutral loveseat was my initial thought, but I'm having a terrible time finding a fabric that doesn't get lost in the carpet or look like vomit next to it. Everything tends to take a greenish tinge. The color is technically almond, but it's really a tan and taupe tweedy look very short shag - great for hiding dirt, terrible to coordinate.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 11:43AM
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.