powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color ideas for front door and trim around front window?
kristenfrances
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to paint my front door. I like color. Any ideas? Please excuse the drab winter scene.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
handymam
I think red, or blue would work well or a deep burnt orange. Will you be replacing the storm door sometime? It will allow you to choose one that lets you see more of the door.

Cute house though, lots you could do to add charm.
February 20, 2013 at 7:08am   
PRO
The Color People
The brick is neutral enough that you could use a lot of colors for the door but they need to lean toward the yellow of the brick to look best. For example a tomato red versus one that tends toward magenta. Paint the storm door as well. Use a hight gloss finish. A light cream would look great for all of the trim- not just the window and door. Paint the main door in the color and leave the secondary door by the garage in the trim color otherwise it will look confusing to people. Paint the garage a tan which is a bit darker than the brick. If you do this the people entrances will stand out.

Replacing the wrought iron posts with two 6x6 posts painted in the trim color would really create a better focus for the entry as the iron tends to disappear. This would be a cheap easy fix.

And of course some landscaping would help but that is not my forte'.
February 20, 2013 at 8:55am     
handymam
Color purple, I like your ideas. I hadn't noticed the whole shot of the house. I agree with the painting of the one door in color to make it stand out as the "real" entrance.
February 20, 2013 at 9:02am   
inabunker
Since you have two doors, I would definitely define the front entry. The wrought iron columns would be replaced with 6x6 posts, I would paint the storm door and maybe replace the front door (don't know what it looks like).
February 20, 2013 at 9:31am   
kristenfrances
The house is faux brick. The "brick wall" in front of the main door is worn and no longer looks brick. Should I paint that a different color too? Thank you!
February 20, 2013 at 10:18am   
kristenfrances
Also, the brick ledge/planter in front of main window is worn. Should I paint that as well as the porch?
February 20, 2013 at 10:20am   
claudiann
I would get rid of the planter box and wooden edging. I wouldn't go with too bright of color. Maybe a taupe or soft green, or medium brown. I would add shutters and window boxes in the same color. Paint the front wall and rails and grow something up them. I would plant a small ornamental tree in front of the house side with the small window and add landscaping around it. I would paint a couple of pots that color and put them under the windows of the breezeway. I would also paint the other door the same color as well as the garage. I think your house would look good if the brick were an accent color and what paint you use the main color so you need a lot of that color.
February 20, 2013 at 8:11pm     
More Discussions
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...
Colour scheme
Hi, need help on the colour/design of my bedsheets...
help! window seat question - urgent
I am adding a window seat (being built as I type) in...
Affectionate, yet Affordable. Doable?
Working on a tight budget, but want to get maximum...
front yard design
Hi, I have a small front yard around 34' wide, for...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.