Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help with Kitchen Backsplash
aurunner98
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
we are redoing our beach house kitchen; white cabinets with black granite; black island with white marble; stainless steel appliances; wood floors; yellow walls; red accent color. I am sick of subway tiles but am unsure of the appropriate pattern size for the small space. I have looked at Barbara berry grove and original; Michael S. Smith labyrinth, Nottingham, or beau monde glass (the most expensive). Suggestions on tile and tile color would be much appreciated. Thank you
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lori
Since you have marble on your island, why not do a beautiful marble mosaic tile. There are so many gorgeous ones these days - and I would carry it all the way up to the bottom of the upper cabinets. You have a pretty small area so you could splurge on a really fun marble mosaic, but they are also very timeless if you pick something not too loud and busy.
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:14AM
PRO
MARLENE BURNS FINE ART
be careful with color...your choices will go out of style long before the tile wears out!
have you consider dye sublimation process on tile where you can photograph? it is a unique look!
i have transferred many of my photography images from streets onto tiles and they look fantastic and are resilient!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:16AM
aurunner98
how big of a pattern would you suggest and do you think adding in a black color would be too matchy matchy? Thanks!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:17AM
0825sam
What about a marble basketweave backsplash? It would add in a little black but is classic as the rest of your kitchen. http://www.houzz.com/photos/kitchen/marble-basketweave-
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 7:22AM
PRO
MARLENE BURNS FINE ART
a touch of black would keep it connected to the counter, without looking to cutesy.
find some pix or patterns and cute them to a variety of sizes....tape them to the backsplash and live with them for awhile! i always suggest this fro color as well.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:25AM
Lori
I would not add a black in the backsplash. I prefer the marble with the soft gray. Also, if you are not sure order a couple of 12x12 pieces of different mosaics that you think you might like and then pick one. It is a small investment to be able to look at something before deciding.
I also agree the basketweave would look nice but it is just one of lots of cool marble mosaic options available today.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:29AM
Lori
if you go look at my ideabook I just posted a picture of a great mosaic backsplash. I am kind of new with this ideabook thing so I hope you can open mine. I think the example there is really great!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:33AM
lessismoore
Marble sounds good to me. How about this herring bone pattern?
[houzz=Crema Marfil 5/8 x 1 1/4 Herringbone Mosaic Tile Polished - Marble from Spain]
Your kitchen is wonderful! You can always add so many other elements there (especially with all the glass front cabs) to bring in your yellows and reds without making any permanent commitments.
Another thought (though, on the low cost end of the spectrum) would be to do a back splash with more of the white beadboard. It would look very good there and be a perfect background for anything!
[houzz=25th Anniversary This Old House, Carlisle]
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:10AM
aurunner98
You guys are all great and I love all of the wonderful feedback!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:14AM
Lori
don't love the beadboard idea -- stick with the marble!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:30AM
slsf61
There is kind of a lot going on with the black island, etc. and the backsplash area is a little small so you don't want more confusion in that space, but you do want some "oomph". How about white subway tile in a herringbone pattern?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:48AM
PRO
Stoneshop
I love the idea of a marble backsplash for your quaint and quite adorable kitchen space.

In addition to the photos that Judy M posted, here is a smaller mosaic option for you to consider:
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:00AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
I think a carrara marble would be gorgeous! There are so many patterns and colors to choose from.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:14AM