powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Any ideas for finishing this walk-out basement?
rozajac
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Could you please share your opinions about this plan?

Thank you
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
You've created a really odd ( L shaped ) room & bottom left of drawing. Any reason you don't want to make that bedroom (at the bottom of the drawing) larger. Pull it over to the left exterior wall and then make the bedroom closet larger
February 20, 2013 at 8:04am     
rozajac
Left bottom closet is left smaller because my water meter is located on the corner (lowest part of the drawing). That's why I made that L shaped area a storage space which I was able to fit 3 large, heavy duty metal shelving units. 1 unit perpendicular to the bottom horizontal wall and 2 units to the right of the storage area door.
February 20, 2013 at 8:36am   
rozajac
And if you meant the right bottom corner where the exterior wall makes an L is how the wall is, no way of pulling that out (towards right-bottom.
February 20, 2013 at 8:37am   
rozajac
Here is what is occupied;
February 20, 2013 at 8:41am   
kathy
Are you asking how to finish the large family room area, in front of windows and sliding door? Really, it's 2 rooms. So what do you like to do, how old are the kids?

Basically I see a sitting/tv room in the left side room and a play area/pooltable/pingpong/foosball in the center room, leaving access to the sliding doors. If kids are little, build a closet/cabinets to hold toys on the back wall against storage rooms, add a carpet and nothing else to give them room to play and throw a nerf ball! The closet can become a bar later on!

And one pet peeve of mine: even in a basement it's nice to have natural light in a bathroom, especially if that's a regularly used bathroom (as opposed to guest bath). But I don't like to windows in the shower. so if possible, (ie not yet built) make the bathroom wider and each bedroom a little narrower.

my two cents - with rounding now worth 0! (Canada no longer has a penny)
February 20, 2013 at 8:54am     
rozajac
Thank you Kathy. Not a lot I can change in the bathroom planning without breaking into the concrete for relocating the drainage and such. And the bathroom rough-in is designed exactly to allow the plan below (3'x4' shower with sliding door). Do you think this is considered small even though it is in the basement?
February 20, 2013 at 9:11am   
PRO
Dytecture
This basement plan looks fine. I would have the main TV area on the left and a more free flowing space in the middle as it would be more difficult to arrange furniture in the center of the basement.
February 20, 2013 at 9:47am     
rozajac
Thank you Dytecture. I palnned to use the area on the left as TV room and middle area more for rec room.
February 20, 2013 at 9:59am   
rozajac
Final plan is to add a wet-bar since it is already roughed in.
February 20, 2013 at 10:09am   
PRO
Dytecture
Looks great. enjoy this basement !
February 20, 2013 at 10:18am   
PRO
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC
Okay, I understand. When you posted, "any ideas for finishing this walk out basement", I was under the impression that the walls highlighted in red were / are proposed walls.
February 20, 2013 at 10:22am     
rozajac
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC; you are correct. Walls in red are not finished yet including walls creating bedrooms. Only wall that is finished it the back wall (top horizontal because it is where the back of the house is).
February 20, 2013 at 10:34am   
rozajac
Yarbro Home Improvement LLC; Sorry about the confusion. You are right. Here is a better drawin. all the red lines show walls to be built, exterior walls are bare concrete right now and needs to be finished except the walls that fall inside storage and furnace area.
February 20, 2013 at 10:40am   
PRO
Phoenix Property Resurrections
How wide is that top bedroom? What about putting a small reach in closet along the bathroom wall "inside" the bedroom instead of having it stick out into the living space? That would make the area where the wet bar is more regular and easier to place furniture.
February 20, 2013 at 10:45am   
rozajac
Room is 13'x15' so room would become 13'x12.5' I assume if I put the reach in closet against the bathroom wall as in the following plan;
February 20, 2013 at 11:18am   
kathy
The bathroom as you have drawn is not too small - I have one just like it my basement! Oh- one thought. Is the back wall only 4' long, ie sink to opposite wall? Usually you want 3' movement-walking area between fixtures and walls. So if vanity is ~24" + 36" aisle, room should be 60"=5' wide I think.

Are these guest bedrooms or family bedrooms? One of the features of the closet is that it insulates the room from whatever is on other side. So nice to have closet agianst toilet side of bahroom, but if child's bedroom then also good to insulate kids in bedroom from tv noise. If they are teenager bedrooms, then shut the door to the basement and have some peace and quiet to yourself upstairs!
February 20, 2013 at 11:40am   
PRO
Phoenix Property Resurrections
If you're putting a reach in closet you only need 24" for the inside depth, so you can shrink that closet a little. Do you have space in the other bedroom to put a reach in closet on the other side of the bathroom (as Kathy suggested)?
February 20, 2013 at 11:54am   
rozajac
Kathy; yes, the total width of the bathroom will be about 5 feet wide. Vanity will be about 30" deep. Bedrooms will be guest bedrooms. Phoenix Property Resurrections; the bedroom on top right in the drawing was planned to possibly have a sliding door into the bathroom, that is the reason I didn't want to put closet between that room and the bathroom. And the bottom-right bedroom, I can probably put a reach-in closet against bathroom wall.
February 20, 2013 at 12:54pm   
rozajac
I might be getting somewhere thanks to all your comments;
February 20, 2013 at 1:01pm