Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help with my family room.
chrissles
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just bought new furniture to make it more modern. My questions are:
Does the fireplace area go with the rest of the room? Is the painting over the fireplace a good tie-in? Looking forward to your comments.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
ASVInteriors
Very hard to see with these photos . Your lighting makes the colour scheme look yellow and purple. If you could kindly re-take the photos and post, we might be able to assist you further.
As a gut reaction that painting is way too small for the fireplace - if you wanted to you would need to find a triptych that fits exactly.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:32AM
charleee
The fireplace area has rich colors and woods, and crown molding. The sofa side looks a bit empty in comparison. I would add a rich, beautiful area rug to tie the two sides together.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:34AM
chrissles
Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of an area rug.
Yes, the lighting is bad on the sofa pictures. The sofas are actually grey and some pillows are orange and others patterned grey, slate and white.
What if I put a larger frame on the painting? It is not framed yet.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 10:57AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Now I know the colours they sound great together - although it is hard to see. I don't see how this is going to work in that space because you have such strong visual cues provided by the moulding above the fireplace. Can you take these away? If not - the painting will always look too small fitting into that middle moulding.
If you love it that much, I would lean the painting on the shelf part of the cabinet next to the fireplace and work with something else over the fireplace.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:26AM
nancy22032
I can't tell how you have arranged the furniture in relation to the FP wall, but the wall is gorgeous and will always provide a center for furnishings. You might frame the FP with the furniture to provide a good conversation area. It will always attract visitors. As far as the picture goes, maybe a very wide matt & frame will do.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 1:41AM
slat01
I think a beautiful mirror with crystal candelabra's either side with candles that can be changed to different colours when you want looks great.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 1:56AM
fnstf
Agree, area rug would be great. Picture is too small- bigger picture or no picture and objects (several) arranged varing in texture and height...maybe echoing colors in the rug-to-be or the pillows . Also think the ottoman looks lost..Need a much larger piece in that area.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 2:39AM
underedenx
im guessing u just bought the ottoman so i hate to tell u it's too small but i agree with fnstf way to small! is it just me or do plp make this mistake a lot? the mantel needs some height on the left of the art? 3's and 5's the vases are nice but theres only... *cringe* 2!!!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:01AM
chrissles
I love all these comments. What a great forum! I will take all into account. Thank you.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 6:33AM