Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New house, need living room decor
jarav
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would really appreciate any feedback you can give me on my living room design and arrangements, as I get a vibe from it that something is not right. Any thoughts are welcome. As you can see from the photos attached it is an open plan living room.Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
t3tanya
I think adding some silk/artificial trees large enough (6 -7 feet) would help to fill in the space while you're making the more crucial decsions.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:25AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
If possible, I would paint the walls a warm colorer (say a soft gray/green). I would place the love seat and sofa together at an ange and move the recliner across and in the corner. I would suggest a larger tv console as the one you have is too small in scale. You need a coffee table and lamps.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 9:27AM
jarav
This is the wall unit we are considering for the living room. It measures 110.5 inches in width, which means if it is placed against the left wall it will extend to a point 2 or 3 inches to the left of the light switch that is next to the fireplace. Our concern is that it may give a closed-off look to the fireplace, especially from the entry way. Your thoughts are appreciated!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:40AM
Nancy Hehmann
I would just leave the walls light and add color via photography and decorator pillows in the color of your choice. Blue or coal look great with brown. Check out Etsy.com. Input what you are looking for in their search engine such as blue pillows. While you are there Chech out my photography shop,nancyhehmann.
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:41AM
PRO
Terri Bennett Allied ASID/Periwinkle Interiors LLC
A general rule in furniture arranging is to put the largest/longest piece of furniture on the longest wall. So, maybe the sofa on the wall under the window - it will leave a little more clearance than what you currently have. LizaJane's idea of a diagonal placement is a great suggestion, too. Are there 3 pieces of leather furniture? What about replacing the leather chair with something with color and pattern.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 9:51AM
groveraxle
Your matching furniture is all very dark and bulky, producing a heavy feeling and not offering a great deal of interest. The entertainment center you're considering will contribute more of the same and it doesn't go well with your modern fireplace.

I agree with the idea of angling either the sofa or loveseat to face the fireplace, place the other piece to form an L-shape, and put the chair across in a corner. I would also add an area rug, drapes, toss pillows, and art to bring some color into the room. Instead of an entertainment center, I would get a low console for the television, something with clean lines to match the mantel, perhaps in a reclaimed wood to add some interest.

Look at the the leather chairs below, with lighter pillows and throw and a light-colored stump for a table in between.

4 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:15AM
carolins
I do like groveraxle's ideas. Your room as it is feels unlived in. The furniture would be better arranged in an L-shape, with the sofa in front of the windows and the loveseat where your sofa is now. The chair somewhere near where the plant now is, angled towards the sofa's. A low, longer media stand would not be as 'invasive' as the one you've chosen. Add some not so heavy looking furniture (different tables, console, lamps) and lighter, brighter coloured cushions and it will all look much cosier.
3 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:48AM
jarav
need more feedback please
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 12:18PM
Melanie Hon
I would leave the couch where it is but closer to the window wall (not enough room in your walkway), put the loveseat on an L-shape to it so it's centered to your window. Put an end table between them to share with a lamp. Put the recliner where the plant is, facing the couch/loveseat. And try your rug from the dining room in the living room. Your dining room isn't formal and doesn't need a rug but it would add color to your living space to offset all the beige.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 12:31PM
Melanie Hon
Other suggestions would then be to get curtains on the living room windows and a coffee table.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 12:34PM
PRO
Serra Design Inc
First thing I would consider is to REFACE the fireplace, box it in and Reface with hardwood flooring running on the horizon. Add a heavy rectangular Mantle that floats cantilevered into the room. I will post a LR mantle I did so you can se what I am referring to. Then i would loose the vertical and horizontal blinds and replace them with woven shades.

I would move the TV to the wall between the dining room and the entry to the family room and purchase a console that would fit that wall. It would raise the TV to a better viewing height too.
I would loose the sofa and chairs and replace them with a boxy Taupe chenille sofa and I like the two leather chairs from Grover. Take that fan down and replace it with a Casablanca Stealth fan, with remote to loose those chain pulls.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 1:00PM
decoenthusiaste
I think t3tanya may have some artificial trees you can get cheap! lol! I see lots of pink in this space. Do you like or want to eliminate that shade from the palette?
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:02PM
rockinkaratebabe
I think you need art on your walls, some end tables and an eye-catching coffee table. At least a valance above the window as well. Your plant needs to go into a pot and next to something, like the fireplace or window. Try centering the tv with the room, not the wall it is on. For your tv, consider a wood tv console but something slightly wider than your tv and with at least the same height as your tv, if not somewhat taller. In regards to your furniture, I think the sofa should go under the window and the loveseat should be centered in place of your sofa. I think the chair is too much bulk for the room, but you could put it where the plant is, if it must go in the room. I think the vertical blinds make the room look dated.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 1:51PM
jarav
In our floor plan layout software we rearranged the furniture so that the sofa and love seat were at an angle, but we think it looks strange. Also, neither piece of furniture would seem to be optimally positioned for watching TV
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 3:09PM
judianna20
When someone buys matching sets of furniture, it becomes hard to make them look "custom". The chair looks damaged in the back, so no matter how you arrange it, it will look tattered. Is it in your budget to get another chair and other accent pieces for the room?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 3:17PM
Melanie Hon
Try the L-shape using your software.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 3:21PM
jarav
The chair doesn't have any damage, it does rock and recline. Perhaps you saw the 'flap' at the bottom that permits the reclining? The sofa and love seat also recline and have similar flaps at the bottom in the back.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 3:22PM
jarav
Here a couple more different layouts for the room, for your commenting pleasure.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 3:33PM
Melanie Hon
I like the first one, don't like the idea of blocking traffic flow with the chair in the second picture. However I stll think the couch should face the TV and the loveseat under the window. This would make the fireplace less "closed off" from having the end of furniture too close to it, and give the most people the best TV viewing angle. And the couch also separates the living from the dining. You could even put a sofa table behind it to hide the back of the couch and serve as a display area for the dining table.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 3:40PM
jarav
Like that?
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 4:19PM
PRO
Calzphotography
putting some art work on the walls will help give it a more personal touch,seeing as it is mostly earth tone perhaps adding some pieces with strong color would help. I offer a wide selection of fine art. to choose from
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 4:19PM
anikouellet
Wall mount your tv on top of the fireplace to create a nice focal point....u need one and one focal point only in there . Then move your recliner where the tv use to be. Install a dark curtain pole larger then your window casing and put some nice sheer natural colour curtains!!!!!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 4:21PM
Melanie Hon
Yes, like that. :) I might put the couch closer to the loveseat so they are almost touching. Anchor it with a rug (perhaps the one from the dining area if it's large enough), a coffee table and end table, and maybe a sofa table behind the couch. It would look cozy. I think the entertainment unit you are considering is too overpowering and you should stick with a low-console. Put the plant next to the fireplace.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 4:28PM
jarav
We moved the furniture around and posted some photos. We didn't move the sofa. The space behind the sofa is 3.5 feet. We centered the love seat on the windows, which leaves an unnatural looking hole between the sofa and love seat. If we move the sofa forward so that it is even with the love seat, that leaves a carpeted space of about 6.5 feet behind the sofa, which also looks off. If we instead move the love seat toward the sofa, it leaves a large space between the love seat and fireplace. Our plant can go into this space, but will look small there anyway.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 4:55PM
Melanie Hon
Yeah I see what you're saying... the loveseat looks lonely by the window.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:10PM
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Hum do you need a new console. Buy two chairs a nice round table place those in the window. Place the TV in the corner and on the wall where the TV currently is located place family photos or some nice shelves. Just my 2 cents.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 5:27PM
jarav
Another try. Now the recliner looks out of place/off kilter. The walkway seems too wide as well.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:27PM
itsjena
Usually designers suggest 8' to a maximum of 10' between the sofa, tv, love-seat, conversation area, etc. Therefore, can you try moving the sofa 8' from the FP, with a coffee table in front; the loveseat between the sofa and FP in front of the window; and the arm chair across from the loveseat; so you basically have a square. You have a lot of space here; but this arrangement would give you a comfortable tv and conversation area. After that , you can decide what to do with the rest of the space.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:37PM
jarav
We appreciate the idea itsjena, but there is no wall opposite the love seat, there is the arch to the entryway.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:50PM
patti4520
the chair loooks too big next to the tv. I like the idea of the wall unit, but watch the scale against the TV. You might consider 1/2 the size you are considering in height....watch placing all the furniture to one side of the room. Makes it appear too heavy. Balance it out. Since the furniture is heavy and bulky keep everthing else fairly minimal. Its a big room though so you can get away with black end tables or an ottoman as a coffee table.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:03PM
patti4520
Meant watch the scale of the wall unit against the fireplace....and consider 1/2 the size of the wall unit so its not competing against the fireplace.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:05PM
rachealy
I think you need a coffee table and two end tables, with some lamps! It just looks like too much unfilled space, also because the wall are so simular to the carpet colour it makes it look like the room is not complete, try adding a rug or changing the wall colour, or both!
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:16PM
turner5173
First of all choose a main color or two and choose accents with your chosen colors. Add drapes, rug and pictures. Choose a light colored coffee table and end tables. Paint accent wall and center Tv on wall, put floating shelves on each side. Put sofa n loveseat in L shape with recliners facing them. Maybe add sofa table to fill space behind sofa.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:52PM
groveraxle
OK, clearly your room is way too big. How about dividing it into two zones. Make the fireplace zone a conversation area with the loveseat and two new chairs. Move the television to the wall between the living room and kitchen (move the dining table toward the kitchen a bit) and arrange the chair and sofa to focus on the TV.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 6:55PM
groveraxle
BTW, I wouldn't buy any new furniture until you get this arrangement to suit you. Otherwise you're likely to end up with another piece that will just make arranging even harder.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 6:59PM
jarav
I LOVE all my furniture, but I do not know how to make it work for me)
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:14PM
carolins
Agreed, the chair does look rather big in the corner. What is your favourite arrangement up to now?
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 11:43PM
rockinkaratebabe
I think the loveseat should have some end tables, so it will look less lonely. You could steal nightstands from a bedroom to get an idea for how the loveseat would look without buying some. Your plant could go between the window and fireplace, in a more substantial pot. I think either of the last two furniture arrangments would work, but prefer the sofa under the window. Add some wall art, window treatments and an eye-catching coffee table. Right now you have a tall fireplace with nothing else in the room, that brings the eye above the tv or furniture. Window treatments and wall art would help bring some vertical balance. You could also add a tall plant or lamp, or even a floor vase with some bamboo or other organic vertical items in it.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:18AM
nikitasmom
I like the cabinet piece but feel that you may grow weary of so much brown. Wood, stone, and furnishings. I saw this image and it reminded me of your room.

3 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:26PM
Ella at Wishack.com
Would it be possible to rip up the carpet? One of the reasons it's hard to move furniture in this room is because the carpet acts as a visual partition. If you get it out of the way, a central throw rug would ground the room a little better and you can choose one that's more colorful, something in a red that would pop against your brown couches.
Something like this: http://www.wishack.com/Surya_Modern_Classics_CAN_1950_Rug_p/sur-can1950-58.htm

If you're set on not taking out the carpet, leave the current couch arrangement that you have but use a sofa table to put against the back of your couch in that empty space. You can add some plants or nice decor items for visual interest and it's really not expensive. http://www.wishack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=pla-slths_%2854_x_16%29_%28b%29

A nice wall color is a sage green or olive green. I myself have brown suede couches and olive green walls. They're complimentary colors and with a white rug on my wood floors, it's actually a lot brighter than I thought it would be.

Another thing, your TV stand is a bit small for this room. You could go with a corner unit or a low-lying stand that is longer so it just helps add dimension to your living space. As for the middle of the room, consider a square coffee table, they're generally larger so they can cover more space or look at the photo I posed to show you what other options are available.

Good luck!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 2:36PM
jarav
I gave up trying to figure out how to arrange this room a few months ago, but now I have decided to give it another try. I tried a few different arrangements and am posting the photos, looking for comments and ideas. Thanks!

0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 6:55PM
jarav
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 6:59PM
jarav
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 7:01PM
jarav
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 7:03PM
jarav
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 7:04PM
jarav
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 7:05PM
abbyjean
If your arms and backs can try one more, I would like to suggest this........angle the love seat toward the fireplace, starting at the left edge of the arched doorway. I know that will mean people will walk in front of it, but it still might work. Put the tv by the fireplace again and the couch perpendicular to the window, with the kitchen behind it. Place the two chairs in front of the window. Big plant in corner up by the tv.

Do you have any side tables or a coffee table? Lamps? BIG art for the fireplace? Would you even just take the one pic on the wall down and prop it on the mantle just to see what that fireplace would look like with a big piece of art?
0 Likes   Thanked by jarav    September 18, 2013 at 7:12PM
jarav
Thank you very much for the suggestion. It's getting late here, so we'll try that arrangement tomorrow (photos to come!)
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 7:20PM
abbyjean
You are such a good sport and this room will not get the best of you!!! The holidays are coming and you want to be ready!
1 Like   September 18, 2013 at 7:23PM
jarav
Any thoughts are welcome.
0 Likes   September 18, 2013 at 8:26PM
Melanie Hon
OMG I stayed away from Houzz for months and now I'm suuuucked back in with all these notifications! lol Of all your different arrangements I kind of like #1 the best. The distance from the TV to the couch is ideal, the TV is the right size for that wall and there's no big dead area in the middle of the room. There's good flow from the dining area to the TV area, you just need to tweak the fireplace seating area. I don't like the loveseat where it is, probably because you see the back of it from almost every angle in the room, and the back is not its best feature! Why don't you try facing it across from the matching chair so its back is to the wall to the left of the FP (not flat against the wall) and then take that beige recliner and bring it next to the couch, facing the TV so you have loveseat and chair by the FP and couch and recliner for TV. In no way does the TV in the corner with a chair or loveseat next to it work. If you put the TV there, than no other furniture on that wall, like you did with #5 and 6. That might end up turning out to be your best option with these pieces, which is really what you had right at the beginning of the post.
0 Likes   Thanked by jarav    September 18, 2013 at 8:35PM
groveraxle
Arrangement #1 is the ONLY one that works. I agree that the back view of that love seat is not the most desirable, but it's a fair tradeoff for the functionality you gain in the room. I suggest you keep that arrangement, then work on making your decor more interesting and inviting.

If money were no object, I would suggest selling the whole set of love seat and two chairs on Craigslist and starting over. A love seat with a solid back and two non-matching chairs would look better in that fireplace grouping. If that's not a possible consideration, some pillows and throws will help.
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 5:58AM
groveraxle
A little color (or a lot), some classic linen drapes, a clear mantel with a focal piece of art above:
1 Like   September 19, 2013 at 7:14AM
kgrad
You've done a lot of work and I agree that the first grouping works the best and provides separate spaces - t.v. and conversation. Often times in my family, someone is watching t.v. while someone else is reading or looking at their IPad.

In looking at all the options, there is one option I didn't see. Can you put the chairs in a grouping to the left of the fireplace and put the t.v. on the wall to the left of the archway? This may also improve the scale issues that exist with the T.V. stand. This would keep the couch and the loveseat facing the t.v. (for more seating when your family is watching their shows/sports). You could get a large area rug and a coffee table to ground the space between the seating and the T.V. and then even add low level seating - large pillows if the space seems a little too wide.
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 7:37AM
house4mjh
May I suggest placing floating shelves or a built in bookshelf that would hold theTV, books, your favorite items such as pictures or bright pottery pieces. Select a lighter brown wood tone of the dark brown leather of the sofa as a stain and finish the wood shelving with a warm chocolate glaze. Stain and glaze the mantle as the shelving. Center a colorful area rug over the carpet. Colors should be bright such as turquoise, red,orange, and include brown/beige to blend the colors you build into the room. Set the front legs of the sofa in the rug and position it to face the TV. Look fora glass-top coffee table so rug colors are seen. Place the 2 chairs or love seat in front of the window with a round table between chairs or end tables at each end of the love seat. Choose simple linen drapes that will coordinate with the colors in the rug. Accessorize the lamp table/tables with lamps on pottery bases in a solid color you have selected such as red, orange, turquoise,etc. Also repeat
The accent color on an accessory on the coffee table and blend all colors together with some throw pillows on sofa.
this will brighten the area with welcoming warm colors. Use a very light tone of color on the walls. the accent color/colors can be carried into the kitchen area as seat covers on barstools, etc. I would paint tne kitchen and family room walls the same color to unify and brighten the spaces.
Cam lighting would brighten the family room as well as table lamps.
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 8:30AM
jarav
abbyjean Here are some photos with the arrangement you suggested (other than we didn't bring the green chair up from the basement tonight). Did we interpret your idea correctly?
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 4:36PM
jarav
We brought down a nightstand from one of the bedrooms, just so we could get an idea. It doesn't look right, probably because the sofa and recliner are not perpendicular.
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 4:38PM
jarav
These photos show the entryway and dining room, which lead to the living room in the other photos. Just for completeness!
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 4:40PM
jarav
Comments and ideas, as always, are welcome!
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 4:40PM
abbyjean
NICE! Thanks for trying that! I actually think I like it with the love seat flat on that short wall instead of angled, like I suggested. Do you need the other chair in the room for seating on a daily basis? Is there room to walk around the big pieces this way?

The only other way I can see is to keep the couch with the back to the kitchen and maybe put the love seat in front of the window so there is an L with the couch and then the chair on the short wall??? Does that give more walking room if needed? It is almost like this in one pic, except you have the chair lined up with the love seat instead of across from the grouping.

It does look different with a table and lamp in the room, even if they do not quite fit right. It makes it instantly warm up.
0 Likes   Thanked by jarav    September 19, 2013 at 4:50PM
decoenthusiaste
As you're finding out, seating without casegoods doesn't work very well. Coffee table, credenza, console table, and end tables will add a lot, as will an area rug. I agree the large entertainment unit you planned for would be too much, but I can see doing a built-in for the left side of the FP to house TV, books, decor. Then pull all the seating into a more cozy arrangement at the focal end of the room. Use the additional space for a family game/snack table. Meantime, try your console table from the stairwell on the wall where you have a picture in the other room. You'll start to see how casegoods will change the "too open" feeling of your spacious room.
1 Like   Thanked by jarav    September 19, 2013 at 4:56PM
groveraxle
I've added some tables to arrangement #1. It's the only one I think is functional.
0 Likes   Thanked by jarav    September 19, 2013 at 9:49PM
Melanie Hon
I agree with groveraxle.
0 Likes   September 19, 2013 at 10:05PM
jarav
Thanks for the suggestions. Do you have recommendations as to color of wood for the sofa and end tables? For paintings and other decor items?
0 Likes   September 20, 2013 at 6:13AM
decoenthusiaste
I think finding a credenza for the TV, if you aren't going to do a built-in there, would be the first thing. No black or expresso as you are already dark here. Some metal and glass would add a bit of shine. Try that table from the foyer first and see what comments you get on that color. Major "rule" for today's decorating is not to buy a matched set of end and coffee tables. Mix it up for a custom look, just making sure that end tables are the same height - they can even be different shapes. You could use some roundness, so try one end table that is round, or one to sit beside the lounger.
0 Likes   September 20, 2013 at 8:54AM
groveraxle
I would start with the media center. I would look for something low and long enough to fill most of the wall it's going on. I'd look at distressed or reclaimed woods, or something a bit industrial. Here are two I like for your room:
1 Like   September 20, 2013 at 1:00PM
groveraxle
Your furniture is bulky, so you need coffee and end tables with a bit of substance. I like the tile coffee table from West Elm. The round glass table from Room and Board has enough substance to the base to work.
0 Likes   September 20, 2013 at 1:02PM
groveraxle
Some end tables that would look good with your seating and aren't the same old, same old are the reclaimed log from Room and Board and the metal drum from Pottery Barn.
0 Likes   September 20, 2013 at 1:04PM
groveraxle
I am looking at arrangement #1, and if it fits, I'd like to see a very narrow sofa table to camouflage the back of the love seat and make it look a bit less plunked in the center of the room. Here are a few from Wayfair that might work:
1 Like   September 20, 2013 at 1:07PM
groveraxle
I have fallen in love with that Pottery Barn drum table and found a PB coffee table that better coordinates with it. I have not yet found the perfect curtains, but here is what your room looks like now:
2 Likes   Thanked by jarav    September 20, 2013 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Are Stainless Steel appliances still popular? Considering Slate color
Hi, We are preparing a house for sale. Plan to replace...
Brown! Brown!...and more Brown!!
I need help...I am trying to deal with all the brown...
Help my ugly little house
I know the landscaping needs help - I plan to go for...
Black & white baths
Does brushed chrome work with blk & wht
program
What program or app. can I use to "draw in" furniture,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.