Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Make the room interesting
Mary Eaton
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What can I add to create more interest? I must use all three leather pieces and painting the walls is not an option...26' is a tall order.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
The bland rug is where the room could use a change.You can layer a more interesting and colorful one over it and pull the furniture away from the walls and closer to the TV and FP for a more intimate feeling. Shop at homedecorators.com for rugs. Window treatments here and at the dining space should all be the same, rods mounted at ceiling level with panels falling to the floor and just flanking the window edges. Your attempt at pattern with the plaid is good They'll be too short if you raise them. What fabric are they? Might try making chair cushions for the dining area and throw pillows for the sofa/chairs out of the fabric. Try woven or fabric roman shades under the new panels. Consider buying a large entertainment center to help fill up the TV wall and counter balance the visual weight of the FP. Looks like a matched pair of prints on the wall and at the FP. I would hang them together and find one large piece for the FP that is brighter in color. Use your side table with the furniture, not off by itself. A floor lamp would be nice by the chair at the FP. Can't see what is on the wall under the picture or at the stairwell. Post after you play with the arrangement a bit and we can tackle that corner.
8 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 10:44AM
Mary Eaton
Thank you for the suggestions.I like them! The eating area is open to the kitchen and there are double glass doors on the adjacent wall. I wanted this area to have the green of the kitchen so the rooms were separate. I will post a kitchen photo so you can determine if it needs to change too. I have a separate dining room.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 11:08AM
PRO
Citapore
I would suggest a beige/brown cowhide leather rug
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 11:20AM
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I'm not always a fan of entertainment centers, but this wall could definitely use one. It'll warm the room up, and fill the space. Depending on budget, check out Parker House parkerhouse.com, and Homelegance.com
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 11:37AM
hollyskog
Move the furniture in Make a more cozy conversation area in front tv and fireplace. Add a sofa table behind sofa. The room is too spread out.
3 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 11:50AM
judianna20
Have you tried switching the t v and the sofa? And have you tried turning the kitchen table so the length runs with the window?

New window treatments, lined, hung much higher on more substantial rods (include the slider) would be an improvement and add a horizontal picture or mirror over the fireplace.

Remove the wallpaper border.
2 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:00PM
Kim
I'm a big fan of floor plants myself. One on each side of the tv is my suggestion.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 1:15PM
koehlej
Currently, you have two focal points: the fireplace and your TV. If you can, move the TV above the fireplace to make it one focal wall. Put the couches both perpendicular to the fireplace to create a conversation area in the middle of the room. Some color can be introduced with a rug (for instance http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Classic-Chevron-Area-Rug-8-x-10/7212916/product.html) and colorful curtains. You can spruce up the wall with the TV with either one or two low TV units (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80227797/) and oversized art pieces, or an entertainment center. And don't be afraid to bring in some "crazy" patterns or colors, the room can handle it with all the other neutral tones.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 3:23PM
PRO
MarshMaven Images, Ltd.
You've got lots of open wall space there. Perhaps some colorful photographs of exotic places you've been or would like to visit would liven things up a bit.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 4:52PM
PRO
Calzphotography
Add some nice pieces of art work to dress up the space.We offer a wide variety of pieces in framed print canvas,metal and acrylic http://camille-lopez.artistwebsites.com/
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:16PM
PRO
Interiors by Kristina
I would suggest window treatment prints and pillows.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:20PM
PRO
K&R Contractors, Inc
Move the TV above the fireplace. Raise the curtains and sew a "ribbon" of fabric to the bottom so that you can elongate them and add interest to an ordinary plaid curtain. Move furniture away from the walls and group them around the fireplace and more in the center of the room. Area rugs also bring in great interest as well as hanging a quilt, antiqes, or beautiful artwork on the large wall.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 6:56AM
inabunker
I would put plantation shutters where the drapes are. I would get a patterned area rug (maybe with the some green in it) I would also put an a built-in for the t.v. because it looks like it's floating on that wall by itself.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 7:23AM
amitisdesigns
I didn't read all the responses, so apologize if it maybe repeat of what others have suggested.
I would start by grounding the furniture by using an area rug, the inabunker's suggestions are nice. Then reposition the furniture, your biggest piece, your sofa, should be facing your tv and more on the middle of the room rather than the back touching the wall, some of you area rug needs to be under the sofa, if it makes any sense. You can put a sofa table in the back with a few decorative items, coffee table books, etc on it. Then two chairs, can be placed where you have the sofa right now, facing the fireplace.
The scale of you TV stand is too small for the size of the tv and size of the room. You can get something with more heft.
I also think, everything is about the same height, therefore there is no eye movement and the room looks boring, a few ways to achieve that, if your getting an entertainment center, go with something that adds height. Or add more seating, two tall wingback chairs positioned in front of the fireplace will add some visual interest. You also need large size art work. A heavier curtain rod and higher quality/lined curtains. Also get rid of the valance in the dining and go with simple curtain panels.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 8:11AM
Mary Eaton
So many suggestions that will be helpful in my room changes. Thank you for your help!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:25AM
PRO
Interiors by Kristina
Where is your house. Many of us can help you more if we will know.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:24PM
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Add an assortment of different sized photo and artwork, nice colorful rug, play around moving the sofa, and perhaps some different drapes.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:29PM
mandek
Like your room, it's very welcoming. Thought the attached picture made the fireplace beautiful its got a painted black piece of furniture. I would look for a larger painting and hang the matching paintings together. If you switch the tv and couch, the paintings would be pretty behind the couch. You have more traditional fixtures and contemporary furniture, art. The pillows, rugs and curtains have to tie it together. Denim blue chenille with contemporary dot or swirl. Blues (in painting) browns in couch, and paint the mantle black so the blacks in your room is less shocking. A few black things will weight the room, paint the end tables black. Denim can be fun too, a tad more casual. You know how they have stamped burlap pillows . . .why not stamp some denim and distress it a little, add some black piping.
3 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Carpet Help
I am replacing all the carpet in my house. Hardwood...
SECOND STORY CATWALK EXTENSION
HAVE CATWALKS ON BOTH SIDES OF OF HOUSE BUT ONLY HALF...
Where to start!
I have inherited 200 acres. We have drilled a couple...
Which sink would you rather have in your kitchen?
My husband and I have different opinion about the kitchen...
Please help with clock height over server.
Is this clock at a good height above this server?
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.