Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas to utilize back entry/den.
Stacy Lane
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is my den, which was a former porch in my 1916 house. It's an L-shape. (Half of it is done with bound carpet, a sectional, side tables and a tv with console). It's where we enter from the garage, and it's a relatively narrow space. We like to entertain, and the drop-leaf table acts as a sometimes buffet, and also a "children's table." I have vision for lots of projects but just not this area. I thought maybe it needs two substantial chairs flanking the table, and maybe hooks for coats across from it? I can't fit anything like a boot tray or bench there, because it interferes with opening the door all the way (groceries, etc.) Shelves over the table? I'm going to put an art wall over the sectional, so I'm not sure if I should continue that. I have a new drum-style fixture going up where the current one is now. It's been this way for over a year now. Thanks for any suggestions!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Would love to see that table open and sitting under a great drum pendant. Use for family game table, or extra dining space with a floating shelf buffet on the wall where it is now. Add art above the shelf and on the opposite wall and you have a useful space. http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/drum-pendant/p/30
Alecia's Necklace Drum Pendant by George Kovacs
Axis Drum Pendant by Robert Abbey
Noor's Place
Village Apartment NYC
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 11:21AM
Stacy Lane
Thank you deco! We do have a drum pendant waiting to go up (with a matching ceiling fan for the other part of the room). I think for me the problem is if the dining table is open and centered, we will constantly have to walk around it to go in and out to the deck, and from the half bath back to the couch. I can open it and take a picture to show you how the flow would go. But I love the floating buffet!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 11:25AM
Stacy Lane
This is the rug that is bound in the other section of the room that I'm wondering if we should continue to use, or find a complimentary area rug. And this is how much room the table would take up if it were opened.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 11:36AM
libradesigneye
Seems the table works best against the wall for your family, but you need more function in the room - for laydown, as a mud room/entry, craft storage, etc. First instinct is to suggest a storage armoire piece to the right of the sliding door as you look at it. Many old deep tv media cabinets are now available on craigslist and could be repurposed inside to store backpacks and school books and use the drawers for craft and homework supplies.

I would move the solo piece of the sectional out of its little cage now at the end of the chaise and put it on the door side of your table, as a bench seat to take off dirty shoes, outerwear, etc. Over it, hang a long pegboard with hooks or old doorknobs for hooks if you have an architectural salvage store / restore around. On the other side, an upholstered floral dining wing and ottoman - sort of a reading chair that can be a working chair. Add a lamp to your table and open shelves above. Open one leg of the gateleg most of the time.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:17PM
decoenthusiaste
Lovely when it is open!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 3:58PM
PRO
Calzphotography
If your looking for wall art we offer an extensive collection with a wide style choice;http://camille-lopez.artistwebsites.com/
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 4:46PM
PRO
juma decor
A couple of suggestions would be to not put any furniture on the wall where the door opens, but just put art on that wall. You need to open the door and center the art with what space is left, do not center it on the wall. It could be a textile piece which would be warmer and soft. I would move the table down a little and put just one unique accent chair on the right of it. You don't always have to do 2 of everything. I suggest a mirror over the table, possibly round (since the other art is rectangular). The light from the sliding doors would come in and reflect back into the room and lighten that space during the day. The table needs some accessories, maybe a vase and candlesticks or something, I also think a rug in the room would define it better as it's own space, could be round or rectangular. I would not do the same one but something that correlates with it, maybe a wool sisal in a color that works with the other rug.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 5:05PM
koehlej
I think you need something that visually separates the door from the rest of the room. It feels like you are sitting in a hallway otherwise. How about you build a half-wall half-way between the door and the patio door as a drop zone, or you might be able to use a bookshelf. I would put a smaller hallway table with a mirror where your table is on the wall and two accent chairs to frame the patio door.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 5:14PM
PRO
New Again Home Interiors
Could you make the entry space more functional? Use it as a mudroom, with a bench, and hooks for coats? There are lots of great mudroom ideas on Houzz and Pinterest.
0 Likes   Thanked by Stacy Lane    February 20, 2013 at 6:29PM
Stacy Lane
New Again - That was the original intent, but the wall was so long that we felt a bench and row of hooks would have been lost. The table gets constant use as a buffet and a dining table for kids when entertaining. Add to the fact that it's new, so it has to stay. I was hoping to marry the two ideas together, which I've mentioned below.

juma decor - I love the idea of a chair, and I was thinking this one with the ottoman -
and I love the idea of a round mirror and a round indoor/outdoor rug because the space is so linear I feel like it needs softening. Does this sound workable? Next to the sliders, on the left, I could put something like this ottoman: http://www.houzz.com/trk/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5jYWxpY29jb3JuZXJzLmNvbS9wcm9kdWN0L2N1c3RvbSt1cGhvbHN0ZXJlZCtmdXJuaXR1cmUvY3VzdG9tK3VwaG9sc3RlcmVkK290dG9tYW5zK2FuZCtiZW5jaGVzL3ZpZXcrYWxsL2VyaWMrb3R0b21hbi5kbw/28a403e8650198d37ab099180994355b/ue/NTQ3MDUyNA/a72b4ed05cd36f605e9f77d28af4ba98 - then I can use the same fabric to make a pillow for the large chair, and one or two pillows for the couch to tie it in. A few oil-rubbed bronze hooks above it for coats in the winter and beach towels in the summer. Thoughts?
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 7:22PM
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
On the main wall art work and as stated have a bench so you can sit and remove shoes if need be and a nice rug.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
Townhouse Fireplace needs an update
My townhouse came with a standard fireplace that just...
Repurpose this hutch
Bought this hutch and thought I would use it in a bedroom...
Small DR ideas needed
Painted but need some ideas See pics
Are corbels out or in??
I have heard that corbels are trending out for a more...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.