Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for kitchen
carolcaldwell6
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is a new house that were thinking of buying. I hate the color of the cabinets. The builder is willing to work with us on changing the color. What would you recommend?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Design Find
Probably white. I think some glass doors on a couple upper cabinets would look great, too. If you'd like that, maybe the builder would switch a couple doors out for glass ones? Might not hurt to ask...
February 20, 2013 at 11:25AM     
hollyskog
Just have the cabinets glazed in a rich brown.
February 20, 2013 at 11:28AM     
mlizzy
I think I'd go with a soft taupe and I'd change the colour of the walls back to a shade closer to white. The matching wall colour is making the cabinets looks worse, to my eye. Taupe and a light ivory would tie in better with the existing floor, which is the hardest to change. Best of luck!
February 20, 2013 at 11:43AM     
PRO
Michael Lee, Inc
Paint the walls a kahki brown/tan to add some warmthe to the room. Use Chocolate glaze over the gray cabinets, paint the island black, add some glass doors to break up the cabinets. Needs some warmth for sure.
February 20, 2013 at 11:48AM     
loriwcox
Agree with Michael Lee - especially on painting the island! On the walls thought I would go with a creamy shade of white on the walls to keep the room light. What colors are in the countertops?
February 20, 2013 at 12:37PM     
DIAspoton
a pewter glaze on the cabinets. charcoal on the island and walls. a crystal chandelier over the island.
very pretty kitchen.
February 20, 2013 at 12:49PM     
sevans3
gray is in!!! Maybe a darker shade of gray on the island cabinet. We just painted our kitchen gray and used bright pottery on the counters, colorful art on the walls. Keep it bright and happy!
February 20, 2013 at 12:59PM   
gcbeachchick
I'd keep the color of cabinets. Really regal looking. Pain the wall a deep warm wine.
February 20, 2013 at 1:16PM     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Yeah I would keep it light as well. Something dark would date it.
February 20, 2013 at 1:22PM   
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
You may want to take a better pic of the backsplash and countertop?
February 20, 2013 at 1:22PM     
Jayme H.
I love white cabinets...
February 20, 2013 at 1:24PM   
Sandi Fuchs
i like the glass doors for a couple of the cabinets; I saw someone's suggestion of a taupe color for the cabinets and that sounds nice. I would change out the cabinet hardware with some knobs, etc that match whatever color scheme you decide on. I can not make out what type of wall that is at your oven; perhaps a closeup of that wall will help tie it in
February 20, 2013 at 1:38PM   
kgolby
I know you didn't ask about this but I've learned from experience. If you can see if the builder will put some type of wainscoting or other paneling on the back side of your island. We are about to start remodeling our kitchen & putting paneling on the back side of our island was the number 1 thing I wanted to change. If you put stools there it will be a huge pain in the rear keeping the wall clean.
February 20, 2013 at 1:47PM     
Stacy Lane
Are these cabinets grey or blue? I love grey and it's a huge trend right now. If it's grey, you could keep the color on the lowers and paint your uppers white, paint the island black to nod to the appliances, and paint the walls a light taupe to go with the floors & granite. You could swap out the hardware for black and put it on the upper cabinets as well. Painting that interior door a glossy black will make it very rich looking as long as you go with a light wall color & light upper cabinets.
February 20, 2013 at 1:58PM   
anikouellet
I would change the cabinet hardware for a darker shade and black wood stools. The floor would be nicer in a darker shade. I really love the colour of these cabinets and i would also paint the walls in a lighter cream shade. Grey cabinets are really in this year!! Good for you
February 20, 2013 at 2:05PM   
PRO
Design Find
Something to think about: the builder has offered to paint your cabinets a different color for you. I've painted many a cabinet, and it's a LOT of work. I'd go with something simple, like white, that will not go out of style in a few years. Painting the walls is much easier - like a day project. I'd hate for you to pick a bold color, tire of it in a few years and then you are stuck reprinting them. I'd go safe with the cabinet color, and if you want to go bold, do so on the walls!
February 20, 2013 at 2:13PM     
PRO
Serra Design Inc
A Wash of Obsidian lower cabinets and white wash upper cabinets. When I say a wash I mean so that the wood grain still shows through. Add stainless toe kicks. Buy a stainless Refer. A stainless Micro. and a glass and stainless range hood. Oil Rubbed bronze is the wrong plumbing look for this kitchen, consider Stainless. Change the back splash tiles to 1" mosaic glass tiles. Replace some of the upper doors with linen glass (check with a glazier in your area what this is, you will be happy with the results)
The island could use several hanging pendants. You may have to consider low voltage lighting to meet "title 24" requirement for lighting the Kitchen pendants if your state requires it. And I would retrofit the ceiling can lighting to LED's. Remove the corbels from underneath the island seating and replace with modern treatment. The door out of the kitchen is like a beacon in the night, it should be painted. The cabinet hardware should be long modern stainless bars with standoffs, change the entry/exit door hardware and the hinges to stainless.
February 20, 2013 at 2:51PM   
Maureen Randall
I would have the builder paint them white, and stain the island in a rich dark almost black color. Leave the walls as is. This is a beautiful kitchen. See if the builder can add some pendant lighting over the island. And just a thought, maybe you could do the desk area the same color as the island!
February 20, 2013 at 3:10PM     
violinist3713
I would say white cabinets would look great with your kitchen countertop.
February 20, 2013 at 4:35PM   
tamathomasina
Keep the color of the cabinets, paint the island a brick red and use brightly colored accents as well. Keep it happy and fun. Gray is a perfect blank canvas for creative decorating!
February 20, 2013 at 4:35PM   
artemis1
I would change the island color and wall color for more contrast; otherwise, it is a beautiful kitchen.
February 20, 2013 at 4:46PM   
Bernice Harding
I would go with a cognac cabinet with a darker island and nice yellow on the walls that grey and the floor who did that lol
February 20, 2013 at 6:07PM   
rockyrocky7
I would get rid of all the gray. Go white or a warm brown. Add wood panel on cabinet return a nd also for island, or a decorative tile for island.
February 20, 2013 at 6:25PM   
libradesigneye
I want to know about you. What is the color story that you have in your home now? What is the color story you envision in your new home? Before you decide, since you can have nearly ANYTHING, let's discover you and make it really perfect for that.
February 20, 2013 at 6:30PM     
lctpdc
Paint the wall cabinets white, and the island black/dark brown. Leave the base cabinets as they are. Use black to accent (stools, for instance. This will pick up the colors in the tile and make for a more interesting mix.
February 20, 2013 at 6:44PM   
charlottebaguley
I think it's a fabulous kitchen, the only things I would change are: 1. The handles on all the cabinets as they are all old fashioned, I would change them to a crystal door knobs. 2. Put a large crystal chandelier over the island, this will tie in with door handles. 3. The flow of the cabinets is broken up with the main white kitchen door, I would ask a joiner to make the door look like the cabinets. 4. I love the wall colour, but if I was changing it I'd paint it white. If you paint it a dark colour, like others are suggesting it going to make the kitchen dark gloomy and feel small. 6. Change the island to white for a contrast.
February 20, 2013 at 11:57PM   
susankoller
I think where your disconnect is coming from is the fact that the cabinets are a grey (cool) and the floor and all other hard surfaces are tan/beige (warm). Those two color tones don't blend well unless they were purposfully done and other aspects of the hard scape were used to bring the two together. From this picture it looks as though all the hard surfaces (except the cabinets) are 'warm tone'.

The easiest thing to do is to bring the cabinets over to the "warm" side of the color wheel with either a coffee/chocolate glaze or by just doing them white with a coffee/ chocolate glaze.

It's a shame that the builder went with a trendy cabinet color, but a builder grade brown/tan floor b/c I just love the color of the cabinets!! Whatever you do, please make sure that the corbles on the Island are the same color as the island!!! Good luck
February 21, 2013 at 7:41AM     
susankoller
Edit to above.... make sure all trim and the corbles are the samecolor onthe island!! :)
February 21, 2013 at 7:43AM   
Jayme H.
Pics...Some mixing grey with white.
February 21, 2013 at 8:06AM     
Jayme H.
You could break up the grey with painting the island white...And/or repaint all of them a different color if you dislike the grey.
February 21, 2013 at 8:19AM   
jodyrah
White cabinets, like white furniture look great but are impractical. However, if you don't cook much, go for it.
February 21, 2013 at 10:44AM   
PRO
Chrome Lilly Interiors
If the countertop, backsplash and flooring are staying, you have to let them dictate the color of the cabinets and walls. Otherwise you won't achieve a harmonious look and you won't be happy with it. My guess is the safest and most timeless cabinet color will be an off-white but there's so many and you need to find the right one. Compare your paint samples with your hard finishes and watch how the colors read. If you need help, it may be worth it to hire someone with experience in reading color undertones.
March 3, 2013 at 6:19AM   
hsander
My recommendation would be to paint the walls a light yellow... Straw by Ben Moore is a great color. Then have some some pops of color here and there with brighter yellow like a bowl of lemons or bright yellow tulips.
March 3, 2013 at 12:27PM   
amandab1
Hi , I would recomend you look at a kitchen web site in the uk called Tom Howley they are simlar to your kitchen, you can buy the paints they use they are buy a company called Fallow & Ball , good luck Amanda
March 3, 2013 at 2:40PM   
nicolenicolaysen
The sky is the limits!! Lots you can do, great lay out of a kitchen. If you would like to warm the kitchen up a little use a off white with a dark wax or dark glaze in a wash technique would be nice. The island you could do a two color technique with a little crackle technique on some parts. This is more of a old world look but use the colors that you like, you could have a master piece. Ofcourse, you might have to change the wall color too. The floor looks like a cream from the picture which can go with anything. If you want a beach look paint cabinets white with lite blue walls. If counters has greys in it?? Paint cabinets white with little blue walls, for fast and less money. Have fun, hope you get the house.
March 3, 2013 at 3:43PM   
jeanmaus
I would paint the cabinets white. It would look sharp with the trim and really brighten up that kitchen! I would then paint the island brown to pick up the color of the smaller tiles in the backsplash and tie in the color of the floor tiles. It would also balance the white.
March 3, 2013 at 6:05PM   
March 3, 2013 at 6:16PM   
pgerie
Having contrasting colored cabinets will add much more interest than the subtle shade difference that exists now. A brown hue would compliment the flooring as well.
March 4, 2013 at 8:24AM   
PRO
Diana V. McLean
When the sun shines into the kitchen what direction is it coming from and what time of day? I also agree, color is color, but there is only one you and knowing about you is more important than any suggestions. Tell what colors you like and talk about it. My kitchen get the west sun in the afternoon and I certainly don't have a grand kitchen like this one but I had the upper cabinets painted Benj. Moore olive branch and the lower cabinets Benj. Moore wethersfieldmoss - all oil paint. I'm a chance taker and not traditional so it works for me. My granite is kashmir white. Had dark granite in another home so would never do that again. My butcher block island is black as well as other pieces in the room.
March 4, 2013 at 10:49AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.