Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
NEED DECOR HELP!!!
Tom Caltabiano
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have just moved into a new place, and the one thing that went right over my head was, what do you do with a fireplace without a mantel?
I am lacking 2 things, 1, lighting in the specific area and 2, a mantel. I could use some ideas, please help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ldjohnny
You can change the tile out to a more updated look and color like to granite. Or, just add the mantel from a hardware store, it does look a bit bare without one. If you add a large picture above it or a TV, it can take away or compliment the fireplace you arelady have.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:04PM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
Just add a great piece of artwork above and as johnny mentioned replace the tile surround...how about a stainless steel mosaic tile?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 12:07PM
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 1:04PM
PRO
GETAdesign, LLC
You could use a simple wood timber or stained 2x material and some hand-troweled concrete scratch coat over cement tile board...this just worked out well for a client of mine. See attached.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 1:18PM
PRO
Serenity Health & Home Decor
Unless you are attached to it, I think the tile has to go. If stainless is a bit industrial and maybe too modern for your home maybe go with a simple and clean black frame. Obviously you could put some artwork or maybe a wall hanging fountain above the mantel? The one I have attached has lights on it with a mirrored body to reflect the light into the rest of the room. And with the black fireplace frame I suggested this would look really good.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:22PM
Victor
What is your style? That would help us. My style is more traditional/timeless. I'd take off the tile and do a slate hearth. Then I'd hit local antique places for salvaged mantles that would wrap around the whole FP. You can strip it down and either stain it or paint it. Or, if you want to keep the tile look you can do an earthtone type mosaic pattern and add a top wooden mantle to finish the look.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 1:23PM
Tom Caltabiano
Everyone. Thanks forthe ideas. I will be sure to post a finished product.

Victor, Thanks for your comment. I like traditional, and i am now looking for Antique shops for a classic mantel. I would like to go for a stained peace or a driftwood look.

Liza, I think i will also add a peace of art, i am actually thinking of a picture i recently took at thebeach.

Thanks again
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 2:32PM