Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What to put on wall flanking mirror?
trendyrendy
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I found this old mirror at a junk shop and loved it because it reminded me of someting from Restoration Hardware. I hung it in my dining room (the only available place) but now don't know what to put on either side. My decorating style is not dressy, more like Pottery Barn. Love a mix of rustic and bling. Any suggestions? Also, is this hung at a good height? A friend suggested I hang it where there was more space at the bottom of the mirror than at the top. That nasty wall thermostat also complicates matters, as I centered the mirror on the wall, disregarding the thermostat. But anything I hang flanking the mirror will have to squeeze between that and the thermostat. (the photos show the hallway around the corner from the mirror, and also the incomplete dining room facing the mirror. Emphasis on incomplete--I know I need a rug, and better buffet lamps, etc. Coming as budget allows :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
It needs a table beneath it - a long, narrow table. Move the mirror to the left and put a lamp on the right. Did you try it with the buffet in the alcove? All mirrors need to hang where they reflect something beautiful or interesting. Keep that in mind as you find a spot to leave it permanently.
February 20, 2013 at 1:50PM   
PRO
Dytecture
Here is one idea.

February 20, 2013 at 1:59PM   
PRO
Amiano and Son Construction
That poor mirror is being eaten by that wall! It really is lovely, but it would probably look better in the niche where you have the white cabinet (it would reflect the light from the window and brighten up that spot), or even your entry area, to the right where that small picture is (who doesn't like one quick look before running out the door?). The mirror looks like it sits right outside a doorway now, so placing a table under it may be blocking the flow. I would shop for something bigger for that wall, and move the mirror to a wall that's more proportioned for it's size and really makes it the star it is.
February 20, 2013 at 2:07PM     
charleee
Could you add more mirrors? Make it a wall of mirrors with this one being the largest?
February 20, 2013 at 3:01PM   
PRO
Gail Barley Interiors, LLC
I vote to put it over the buffet. It really is too small for that wall and adding other things to the wall will make it appear less special. A narrow console table underneath could work if you have the space.
February 20, 2013 at 3:14PM     
Danielle B
Lovely mirror! I would reposition the mirror in the foyer, in place of the frame you have there, I would be a perfect spot for it, as you need a mirror when you leave the house more than in your dining room. I think the appropriate height is just high enough so a six-feet tall person in your home can see their entire head. The wall in your dining room deserves bigger art or decoration.
February 20, 2013 at 3:29PM   
janishill
You can do as Deco suggested and add a table underneath it, then flank it with scones, add some large decorative items (Plate, Pitcher, etc.) Or you could hang 3 medium size pictures along each side.

You could also hang it over the buffet and do the same thing; add plate, pitcher, books, decanter, etc.)
February 20, 2013 at 3:42PM     
trendyrendy
I took it down and tried it in the entry where the small picture is but it almost touches the door trim on either side. And the molding at the top of the mirror is wider than the rest. I had to hold it high enough that the top molding was above the door trims or it wouldn't fit. Even with my limited decorating ability I knew it was too tight. Great idea, but not enough space. I then propped it on the buffet to see how it looked there. Not bad, with proper lamps to flank it.
February 20, 2013 at 5:01PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
You have said you need to get a console and lamps in the mean time how about a wood shelf below the mirror, a simple black beefy shelf which looks like it is floating on the wall 30"s above the floor and 36"s to 48"s long and just 12"s deep or less would give room for some candle sticks and flowers etc. Or a pair of small plates on either side hung vertically would look nice and add to the dining room feel. Kevin
February 20, 2013 at 5:02PM   
trendyrendy
Thanks for all your ideas, guys!
February 20, 2013 at 5:02PM   
PRO
Belman Living LLC
Adding in a table below it with a lampshade, flower pot and some decor items will enhance the look of your wall. Add in a small rug below the wall in a bright color so that the area lights up! You could have a LED light on top of the wall too which helps light up the entire wall.
February 20, 2013 at 5:19PM   
rockyrocky7
Needs to be anchored but not enough room for a table. I would look for a set of four or a smaller set of six mirrors to hang on both sides.
February 20, 2013 at 5:42PM   
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
How about having it more to the right and on the left side some small shelves. In the meantime of finding some it looks good where you how it placed.
February 20, 2013 at 5:49PM   
trendyrendy
I forgot to mention that I have TWO identical mirrors like this, but never even thought about using both of them. Does that muddy the waters or help? Should I put them side by side on wall or over buffet? Or split them with framed stuff in between? Again, thanks! BTW, the reason I bought two mirrors, besides loving them, is that they were FOUR DOLLARS EACH :)
February 20, 2013 at 6:26PM   
stephatini
What about turning the mirror horizontally and hanging it above the buffet? I know it's a little funky but it may work with the right accessories around it.
February 20, 2013 at 6:36PM   
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Now that might be interesting to have them both as you stated and have small framed stuff between them.
February 20, 2013 at 6:40PM   
Kevin Retired Decorator
The wall would hold them both well. What a great deal ! No need for anything else. I think the buffet needs a larger piece or grouping. Not to be redundant but a grouping of of white plates & a platter in the center would be pretty over the buffet to fill the nook there. The rooms furnishings would suit that look well. Kevin
February 20, 2013 at 6:44PM   
janishill
Side by side above the buffet, but your lamp needs to go. The shape is fighting against the mirrors' shape.
February 20, 2013 at 8:25PM   
trendyrendy
I agree. That lmp ws just an old one I had and put there til I could buy new ones. It's not tall enough, nor the right shape. That's why it's sitting on some books.
February 20, 2013 at 8:40PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.