powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help! ( last minute doubts before we go ahead and order cabinets for kitchen reno)
shawnabaker
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are planning to replace our existing cabinets, remove bulkheads and valance and replace all appliances, countertop. Wainscotting is coming down,new potlights, sink will be centred under window, shifting peninsula to the left. We have 8' ceilings - had a plan done with 36" cabinets, a filler, then crown mouldings-valance over sink window (attached) . I'm not sure about 2 things:
1) if we should have a valance over sink?
2) I don't really like the shelves attached to cabinet between windows
Should we consider removing valance/doing something different with that cabinet? (will be 44" between windows)
We are trying to stick to a fairly tight budget so basically keeping the layout we have.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Mega Builders
Great questions that I suggest discussing with your designer.
Personally, I think the valance over the sink is a dated look and I do like the open shelves element.
Good luck!
February 20, 2013 at 3:37pm     
wmpj
In the new plan, it looks like the valance is there to tie in with the crown molding on the cabinets. I don't think it would look right if the valance was removed. What you could do is remove the valance and install a roman shade that can be mounted to the outside of the window to fill the void. I personally like the shelves located at the end of the wall cabinet by the window but if you don't like it, then have it removed. The designer is just giving you ideas. The shelves may be there to help balance the weight with the penninsula.
February 20, 2013 at 3:41pm     
carolannr
Me too. I have always had a problem with valances over the sink - the crown molding does not have to continue across that area but wrap around the cabinets instead. I do love the idea of open shelves over the window area tho. Do you need the blinds there? With the shelves you may be able to eliminate them altogether.
February 20, 2013 at 3:45pm     
sheltiegirl
Just an idea but you might want to considered no filler, a heavy crown moulding, and uplighting the ceiling.
February 20, 2013 at 3:52pm     
shawnabaker
Thanks for all the suggestions. If I was to start this process over I would start by hiring a designer to come and do the whole plan - I'm finding out there are a lot of details and decisions involved that I don't have experience with and I question myself! I have looked at a lot of photos on Houzz - here's an example of a cabinet between 2 windows (taller ceiling than ours-we would have a 36" ) with crown would this be a possibility - keeping the open shelves?
February 20, 2013 at 4:49pm