powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Newly built house with no style... HELP!!!
Kelsy Van_Egdom
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into our new house in October. All the furniture is new and I need help decorating!!! I have an idea of what I want, but I'm having a hard time finding the pieces and what exactly looks good together. The first photo is our front door and stair way to the basement. It's such a big wall I have no clue what to do! I am thinking about putting up different stained pallet wood to make it an 'accent' wall.
Once in the front door is our living room. Couch, chair and tv stand are new so I am keeping them. I want to replace the end table next to the chair. I really like the burnt orange/rust color in my curtains and the pillows on the couch I wanted for Christmas. I LOVE the southwestern style with a moden twist and alittle rustic.
Also, I made the ottoman, I am trying to find the right legs for it so I really want to keep that as well. Our living room opens up to the dining room. Wondering what kind of rug would look good under our table and if I should keep the wall decor/pictures up.
And in our bedroom I took the mirror off the dresser so I can have a full view of my body for when I'm dressing. Not sure how to 'style' the top of my dresser.

HELP!!!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
First off, lower your chandy 30" from table top. Purchase a rug, 3 ' bigger than your table. Do yellow to match your ottoman.

Your pix really don't show your room, so it is hard to imagine your spaceā€¦. Could you provide more photos? i would like to see what is to the right of the chair. Possible to fit another chair?
February 20, 2013 at 3:39pm   
Melanie Hon
Your entrance would scare me - more than 2 people coming in at once, someone bumps into someone else when closing the door, and whoops, down the stairs they tumble! The basement stairs were right off our back door (which we used 99% of the time) in my childhood home, and I fell down the stairs once so I guess I'm paranoid. Seems like a weird design though.
February 20, 2013 at 3:50pm     
misecretary
How about moving that great painting/photo of the family to the wall by the stairs. This could be the start of an entire family wall grouping. If you choose to have a wood accent wall there, the grouping will still look nice there.
February 20, 2013 at 4:04pm     
Kelsy Van_Egdom
judyg- yes there is enough room on the other side for a chair. We have an end table there now. I'm wondering if a chevron print chair would look good with this style?
February 20, 2013 at 4:12pm   
anikouellet
First of all, i like all of our furniture and colours but none of them match together....it is either your pillows or your ottoman....you really need to create a focal point in your living room. I would invest in an electric fireplace and mount the tv on the wall. You already seem to have carpet on the floor so adding another rug would be too much! On the wall facing the entryway going down the stairs, i would install different frames of family pictures with a nice handpainted saying in the middle of those frames. You can find sayings on internet. Hope you like my advice....i love love your entry door!!!!!
February 20, 2013 at 4:14pm     
Kelsy Van_Egdom
Here are a few more views
February 20, 2013 at 4:14pm     
carolannr
First of all, get a metal fixed gate for that stair case!
February 20, 2013 at 4:21pm     
mjlb
I agree with Melanie Hon -- that entry is a real hazard. I like the stair railing, though!
February 20, 2013 at 4:24pm   
PRO
Calzphotography
try this on for decor,it has the burnt orange colors and a southwestern style
February 20, 2013 at 4:26pm     
Julie Dyer
I would put a southwestern style rug under your dining table w/ yellow, red tones to tie in with the yellow you have on your ottoman. Also, a centerpiece on your table to brighten that area. Possibly find an old trunk as an end table. I agree with the above poster, great family photo you could do as a wall grouping over your stairway at your entry.
February 20, 2013 at 4:31pm   
Julie Dyer
Rich colors in reds, yellows and oranges
February 20, 2013 at 4:32pm     
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
I like the idea of the aged wood plank accent wall. I would do the both walls above the stairway.

You room can take a lot of color. I would add a second chair in a fabric so as not to overdo the leather. A mix of kilim rug pillow for added color, texture and pattern.

I think the TV wall needs a large entertainment/ shelving unit to fill the space.

The trim looks to be black (?)... this is a good grounding color for the space in some of the accessories and/or side tables
February 20, 2013 at 4:56pm     
PRO
A Crew of Two
The southwest idea is great, but it can become tiresome if overdone. Take cues from nature. The first thing I would do is consider painting. The white walls and light carpet make the furniture seem too big, which they are not. I would anchor the room with an area rug. i like the blue one, but it really doesn't go with your pillows. This is another alternative. The rug will pull the room together. Carry the same colors over into the dining room, for example: a solid blue rug would incorporate your art work and pull the blue over from the living room.................
February 20, 2013 at 4:58pm   
PRO
A Crew of Two
.......whatever you do choose large so your furniture doesn't overwhelm it. It will be a beautiful room.
February 20, 2013 at 5:02pm     
0825sam
I really like the ottoman but I think it needs to be put in a different room. That is not saying southwest or rustic to me. It's an ikat fabric right?
February 20, 2013 at 5:15pm     
0825sam
I think you can do chevron with the ottoman but that is not going to go with your pillows.
February 20, 2013 at 5:16pm   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE... it there is one thing anyone gets out of all these discussions... it is to raise that darn drapery rods...

I know you want to keep what you have so add an 18" border at the bottom. This will give you another opportunity to add color and pattern.
February 20, 2013 at 5:20pm     
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
If you are wanting a chevron pattern in the room, you will just need to kind one with the right color combinations...
February 20, 2013 at 5:49pm     
0825sam
Terri i agree with those colors for introducing chevron but what about the ottoman?
February 20, 2013 at 5:55pm   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
I'd like to see a close up of the ottoman. If she can get enough yellow mixed into some patterns and if she chose a large area rug with the right touch of yellow or gold in the pattern... it might work... as of right now it doesn't...

Also...If she were to put a large tray on top of the ottoman and have it styled well... the tray could break up the mass of yellow in the ottoman.
February 20, 2013 at 6:02pm   
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Kelsy... I think this may be getting to heavy in style for you... but I think there are ideas that can be taken from some of the Ralph Lauren interiors... and you can certainly lighten it up to make it more contemporary. His mix of southwestern with English is classic. Also his use of black, like I mentioned earlier helps ground the space. You can also see his extensive use of patterns... such as mixing in the plaids. Again... probably too heavy for you... but certainly lessons to be learned from him...

Also.. for a leg on your ottoman... I think a black turned leg would look good...
February 20, 2013 at 6:14pm     
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
Sorry.... I didn't add the R.L. photos
February 20, 2013 at 6:19pm     
libradesigneye
Ottoman is beautiful, yellow and taupe. Kilims and drapery, rust. Both work, but they don't work together well. I see the taupe on the wall.

Personally, I would keep my family picture in the dining space because that is more "done" and do less personal art in the living room. Reclaimed or barnwood on the far wall / stair wall will be great in many respects as the wall will take abuse over time. Be sure to light the wall when you do it - aim a new can or hang some track lighting. Run it horizontally, not on an angle or vertically, for a true cabin siding feel.

My top three suggestions:

Move the ottoman to your master bedroom. Gorgeous but it won't last well here with boys and you can build that room around the gray and yellow that you don't have here. Or,replace this fabric and save it for the next go round of redesign when they are older. Cover with dark rust striped with gold and red to echo curtains and kilim pillows. Pick this fabric out and then go rug shopping.

Buy a rug in the same color family red rust gold - southwest but inexpensive -see Ikea. It will hide boy trouble well and save your carpet!

Buy some gallery template kits with black frames and beige mats. ORB spray paint all the black frames.
Use outtakes, turn them all sepia toned, add some hangable trinkets and last name initial and fill the tv wall with a gallery. Crop in close on kids faces, get them running at the park, unposed, gramma cooking, christmas dinner, opening presents at birthday, mom in college, dad before kids, dad with fellas, and so forth. Print them all in sepia tones = blow a few way up with cropping and kinkos. Since the other prints are warm, let this be monochromatic around the tv.

Look at PB website for some advice, and also at YoungHouseLove for things they include. you can do some homemade graphics, add your last name initial painted orb, and so forth. Fill the wall around your tv.

Finally, add some big soft pretty baskets for extra shoes and toys that migrate here. Get a living room colored throw that is so soft and so washable and so pretty that mommy will share with boys.
February 20, 2013 at 6:20pm     
PRO
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Hi, just an observation...Your chandelier over your dining room table is up too high. Its only supposed to be in the 34-40" off the tabletop to the bottom of the chandelier. Hopefully you have more links left from the installation . If not, call the company and order a strand of them.
February 20, 2013 at 6:31pm     
Kelsy Van_Egdom
Wow... alittle over-whelmed but I appreciate everyone's advice!! I will be tackling this design stuff one step at a time. I will start with recovering the ottoman in a different fabric and finding a good accent chair. Also, putting up the distressed wood on the wall is on the to-do. Thanks again and any more advice is welcome!
I want to add the bedroom so I can show my dresser and mirror and what to do.....
February 20, 2013 at 7:17pm   
PRO
Pro-Pack and Shelly Patterson Design
Hi, your entry needs a photo arrangement with your personal touches. I have added a great resource link to get you started and give you ideas http://www.hgtv.com/decorating-basics/how-to-create-an-art-gallery-wall/pictures/index.html?i=1
February 20, 2013 at 7:45pm   
shaundaspell
Your house looks a lot like the home my parents bought a few years ago. It was a messy foreclosure and this is how my mom and i fixted it up. Your place has great potential! I have a ton of suggestions, but i would probaby take up multiple pages. Good luck!
February 20, 2013 at 8:45pm     
libradesigneye
Put the large piece of art over your dresser and add a lamp and a decorative tray to contain the inevitable earrings, buttons, pocket change, receipts, notes, cellphone.
If what is on the wall is the mirror, and the one on the floor angled is also the mirror, then you just need one bigger floor mirror and you can use these in other rooms. One on the wall behind your entry door to bounce that light in, one opposite your front window along the hallway to bring more light.
February 20, 2013 at 10:07pm   
kosterbelle
I would put an inexpensive rug under dining table..yes, under dining table. Vacuum and spot clean as needed. I would then continue to build on what you've already got on the dining wall with more pictures, art pieces made of different materials like wood, metal, mirrors, shapes and mix and match. offset each art pieces and alternate sizes from the size of a book to larger pieces square, round, rectangle, faux tree branches, carvings, more framed pictures, etc. but try to keep a similar space between items, like 5 inches and eventually your wall will be filled and look really cool. Paint the wall an accent color that you pull from your family picture. That looks like an easy wall to paint. i would recommend spending more on a gallon of quality paint like Aura that goes will go on well in one coat. One day project.
February 21, 2013 at 12:24am     
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
I agree that is a bit dangerous having the top of the stairs right in front of the entry way but about the only thing to place there is a child proof gate. That or some sort of picket fence type gate. Agree some artworks and photos to brighten up the walls. If you do place a rug under dining room table just make sure it is something that is easy to clean or cheap enough that if by chance there is major accidents it won't be as much to replace it.
February 21, 2013 at 4:28pm   
cerulean77
I love your homemade ottoman. You are a creative person and will ultimately choose combinations that please you and allow you to feel comfortable in your home. Maybe a large Southwest style rug hanging on the wall in the staircase area centered over landing perpendicular to door. Three medium sized baskets (with flat backs, or not) mounted on same wall right next to door for storage, keys, mail. An entry type table pushed against stair railing next to/across from chair. Put a lamp on it, if possible. Tv area calls for entertainment center and another chair as others have said. Kitchen eating area is beautiful with that chandelier. Put some wainscoting up in color of you choice and keep adding to your photos, etc. A rug under the table might be a pain to clean with those little munchkins, but if you really want one, get one you love. Blessings.
February 22, 2013 at 11:23am   
the_misfit
I agree about the rug for the dining room and lowering the chandelier. (And if you can swing it, I think an electric fireplace with the TV above would look awesome.) Regarding the living room, I wouldn't eliminate fabrics until you've brought more in and seen what can work together - starting with a lot more pillows and/or throw blankets. I would get an area rug to put on top of your wall-to-wall carpet, for the middle of the seating/TV area. Something like this: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/P10084960.jpg? (Available here: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Flat-woven-Tribal-Wool-Jute-Rug-5-x-8/1717327/product.html.) Or this http://www.overstock.com/Worldstock-Fair-Trade/Indo-Kilim-Burgundy-Ivory-Rug-57-x-79/4087234/product.html; or this http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Hand-woven-Kilim-Burgundy-Jute-Wool-Rug-4-x-6/2169638/product.html. Lots of good options.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean about the rustic plank wall, but with the open concept, I'm not sure how easy it would be to delineate where that wall should end (and I found it difficult to paint a staircase wall - I can imagine there would be more challenges in nailing boards onto one). If you have it figured out, of course, go to town. But a gallery wall of family photos (or whatever other frameable items appeal to you) would also work on that wall. I like the look of a gallery wall along a staircase, where it can be seen from a lot of angles. And I think it looks nice to have a lot of frames with little differences but all in the same finish (bonus if they naturally have the same finish and you didn't spray-paint them that way). Maybe something like these: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/grey-wash-cody-frames.do?fMb=1&green=E314D0B3-2AAE-5CF6-A360-7283EB9EBA74&clickid=mybuys_cat_cs?

With respect to the staircase - I tend to find safety concerns to be an annoyance when I am trying to focus on aesthetics, but the other folks may have a point. I would look on craigslist for a single length of (real, not the modern aluminum version) wrought-iron fence or gate with some ornateness to it, and then use that as a guard rail. It might impale visitors, of course, but I don't believe that's against code.

Good luck!
February 22, 2013 at 12:10pm   
kparham104
Did anyone recommend paint? Find a nice earthy shade. Something with a dark mica tone. Think Arizona Desert. Nice, rich wall color would do wonders for your home.
February 23, 2013 at 9:33am   
Kelsy Van_Egdom
Thanks again for your opinions... The past fews days I've been researching different styles and I feel like the southwestern theme is something I will get tired/bored with a awhile. I'm changing my mind constantly and I know my husband isn't thrilled with that style either. I've been looking at Potterybarn to get inspiration and this is what I'm leaning towards with the first picture. With that being said, I'm wondering if this pallet, distressed wood wall will still look good with the style I'm going to go with. Here is an example of what I like. I really want to add thicker/wider boards to make it kind of '3Dish' and have shelving to place frames and art work so i don't have to worry about hanging them. And now I"m wondering what style/print rug for the dining room for under the table... I get major anxiety about what style of rug to put there! I can't make up my mind and I'm not sure what kind of color combo I want in the kitchen/dining room. All my walls are beigey since all the rooms are open to each other.
February 23, 2013 at 11:03am     
Dan Daugherty
I agree with the others who have suggested a gate at the stairway near the door and also I like the idea of Family Photo groupings on that large wall... But I have a very unique Sculpture that was designed for just such a place. It is a Hanging sculpture, Self illuminated and it is large enough to take up a lot of that space and at the same time, Illuminate the stairwell. It weighs in at only 21 lbs, so it won't be a problem. It reflects well off of any wall color and is an awesome Conversation piece. It features Remote control LED low energy color changing lights that can be set to flash, stay the same or fade. To install, one would only have to remove the existing light bulb and mount the hanger there and simply wire to the existing wiring. very easy job.
February 26, 2013 at 12:10pm     
lepstein
Why do you need a rug under your dining table? The wood is an easy sweep or wipe up, especially with kids. Love your chandelier, but agree that it should be lower.
March 4, 2013 at 7:01am