Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help make this room "pop"
jordinsgrandma
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi this is my daughters first home in Upstate NY in a beautiful country setting. She painted the room and put in a new hardwood floor, now looking for decorating tips for her fireplace and room to make it "pop" any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
MarshMaven Images, Ltd.
Put some artwork on those walls, perhaps something themed, like beautiful photographs of places she has visited (or would like to visit). Check out my profile for some of my work, or click on the link to fineartamerica, where you'll find over 100,000 artists offering their work for sale. Have fun!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 4:47PM
PRO
InsideStyle Home and Design
What color are those walls - green? You definitely can use lots of colorful accent pillows and some bright artwork to liven it up! An upholstered ottoman in a color or leather would be fun and also provide a comfy footrest!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 4:55PM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
i would change the color of the walls - you have a lot of gray which looks too dark against those walls, then i would put some paintings/pics/mirror :)))
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 4:55PM
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
Not a designer but I agree with what everyone has stated so far. Seeing as she freshly painted the walls then go with some colorful pillows, colorful photos / art works, mirrors and perhaps even a different rug for the floor.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 4:59PM
PRO
Calzphotography
we offer a wide range of pieces in framed print as well as canvas,acrylic,and metal prints,with various styles. http://camille-lopez.artistwebsites.com/
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 5:21PM
jordinsgrandma
The walls are a taupe color and on the opposite end of the room is the dining area has an accent wall that is a darker shade. The color on the walls is beautiful, the furniture she purchased from the former owner. It's actually also a taupe color. She just bought a set of 2 Ballard Garden District Mirrors to go above her fireplace, picture below. We appreciate any pictures of your suggestions, it helps a lot! Any ideas of how to decorate around the fireplace? Again pictures appreciated and thank you!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:43PM
jordinsgrandma
Wall color
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:03PM
wstdspace
It looks like the problem is that everything is too much the same color. Get some colorful art work and then match some pillows to it. Also match the window panel with the new colors and a new rug too. Good luck! Looks nice!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:04PM
ebbalyn
Seems to me the fireplace is dark and smudgey perhaps it could be painted out white or light stone gray, new art work over the mantle with splashes of an accent color perhaps HUGe poppies in that wonderful orangey red some black and green? Pillows to match the art work and the tv needs a better stand or should perhaps go somewhere else? Then the walls and drapes could be coordinated with the rest of the room to bring freshness and a lighter feel to everything. Potential for a very cozy room !!!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:06PM
cyn222
Change wall color to a greyish lavender to work with the furniture if she wants a contemporary look. Lose the sheer curtain and install white drapes extended beyond framing to enlarge the windows. Remove all the stuff off the fireplace and put a mirror or artwork above. Change out the rug to something that will pop the furniture color. Lighter or darker but not the same as furniture. Throw pillows and large accessories if any.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:07PM
jordinsgrandma
Better pic of the wall color
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:33PM
misecretary
I think the room is light--sun light and lamps
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
Gallery wall layout
Which layout is better? What else can I add? Thanks!...
Color for my too neutral living room
Any advice to add a bit of color to my too neutral...
Still not quite right
We have painted, and repainted, the Hardie Shake siding...
Help I'm obsessed with BEIGE
I feel like my living room is too beige and boring....
Help! Feminine Home office needs color and excitement
This is a photo of my home office currently. I'd love...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.