Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Oil paintings for my family room
mandek
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would like to purchase a pair of tropical paintings. I have an antique fall woods scene in the room already. The colors in all the paintings are similar, regions different. I have a large wall that I think the paintings would look good on.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mandek
The artwork has been taken in different lighting. The fall forest is in my house, the last picture with the mirror is where I would like to hang the tropical oils. Large pictures 36"x57" approx.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:42PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Is this replace your mirror - or on either side? If so, can you take a picture front on so we can see the spacing either side?
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:08PM
cyn222
The tropical art sure will give a new feel to the space. It will come alive. Painting similar to sofa is too bland. You only live once....go with what makes you come alive!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 9:11PM
PRO
Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC.
I don't think these paintings should go in the same room. It would help if you had a wide shot of the whole room including the walls where these paintings would go.
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 9:11PM
mandek
Here's some quick picks left to right pictures of m room. Paintings are large. I was thinking of hanging them where the mirror is, they would hang across from the large wall unit. I like to decorate with interesting objects and photos of family. Thank you for your input. Nothing like a fresh perspective. I'm already looking at this room differently.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:47AM
michigammemom
All of your furnishing have a rich and burnished Old World look. The brighter blues and aquas in the tropical art seem out of place and I love the curvy mirror you presently have.
2 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 4:35AM
mandek
A friend at work said I should paint the gold frame black. That would tie it in . . .like that idea. Like my curvy mirror too. Like the greenery in the painting it's true it comes alive. I could move the mirror to the entry.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:22PM
mandek
Pictures I've found
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:29PM
PRO
Irisheyes Home Improvement
Go to DianeHynes.com and check out the art. You can custom order size and subject matter . . . to your needs. Congrats on purchasing original art. So many beautiful homes do not have real art in them, which shocks me. Why spend on beautiful architecture, furniture and then hang junk on the walls!
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 3:42PM
Jayme H.
I don't think they go with what you have, nor would they look right as there are now. The colors are not right for the room. The other 2 larger pics u posted look more lie they would work...but hard to tell from the view I have.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 3:43PM
Keitha
Love the beautiful painting that is currently in your living room and don't recommend painting the frame black... I think it would cheapen the look. I suggest that if you really love the colorful paintings they could be wonderful in another area of your home, foyer maybe?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:49PM
mandek
Thank you for the input. I love original art, family photos and mirrors. I used to paint murals, I have a background in stage design, the beautiful murals you included are a huge inspiration to me. I'm not anxious to paint the frame on the old picture. I think the old painting ties into my backyard scenery and woodsy environment. I was thinking a "world traveler/British colony" vibe might theme and justify the tropical paintings along with the old painting.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 4:38PM
kapahner
Don't do it. If you must have the artwork then hang in different room. Do not paint frame.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 4:57PM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Frankly art is art - and if you like them go for them. They are both traditional, although one is a different style to the other but they are not next to each other and there are different vantage points within the room. I feel you can get away with it.

Can I suggest you proceed cautiously? bring in a kitchen chair and lean the two paintings on them against the wall. Leave it for a day or two till you get accustomed to them there. You will know by then if the colours work for you or not.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:57AM
mandek
You talked me out of painting the frame, the painting is dark enough. ASV I think I could bring it home for a day or two. I've gat a month to wait because the consignment shop will be closed. I will take it slow. My wall unit has pillar looking trim on it thats very similar to the tropical paintings, love to repeat elements. I have a huge attraction to all the paintings. When I bring it home I will post more pics.
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 2:48AM
More Discussions
Need advice for door color
I am wanting to add some color to the front of my house....
Help me with new cushions
I just bought these cushions but somme thing seems...
Antique Washstand - would you change these tiles?
Annie Sloan chalk paint Duck Egg Blue being used on...
Shower or No Shower Door?
This photo represents an on-going trend of showers...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.