powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need pointers for a glam modern kitchen look!
jenjackson1
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I could really use some ideas for my kitchen-in-progress! Modern espresso cabs w/ white perimeter & waterfall island counters. Silver linear drawer pulls to be installed. Metallic backsplash. How do I address the pocket door and wall leading to the turquoise mudroom? (Door frame to be trimmed and light fixtures to be installed later.) It seems awkward and makes me want to continue the backsplash over the rest of the wall. But that seems a bit much. Or is it? Any ideas for colors or art?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenjackson1
Here is another view.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:49PM
jenjackson1
The unfinished pocket door will be painted...but I'm stuck between a neutral like espresso or white, or a bold splash of color to coordinate with the mudroom.
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 7:50PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Is it possible to have a frosted glass insert in the pocket door?
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 7:55PM
Latashia Ingram
To glam it up I would change the light fixture to a crystal chandelier
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 7:59PM
jenjackson1
Thanks for the comments! I'm sorta stuck with the wood slab pocket door, but am open to jazzing it up. Frankly, the pocket door will usually be shut so I'm not as concerned with it as I am with what feels like an abrupt change from fun metallic backsplash to a plain old white wall. Maybe I just need to get the door frame trimmed and add some art and I won't be as bothered. Totally agree with the chandelier light fixture...cannot WAIT to get those ordered and installed!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:12PM
underedenx
i would bring the turquoise colour over into the kitchen! i love seeing these glam kitchens with pops of really vibrant colours... the backsplash is perfect leave it where it is... i cant tell did you use a shluter to finish it off?

the wall to the left of the pocket door looks a little bare:-( i would get a few espresso framed prints with that turquoise colour in them... just make sure they don't inhibit the use of your oven! great reno i love it!
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:24PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
You could continue the idea of the metallic backsplash by having the wall and door done in a metallic Venetian plaster for real glam... kept the trim simple and the same color as the door and wall.

The Venetian plaster in metallic would give a contemporary edge to the look and technique while giving you the glam effect... then most definitely add a stunning light fixture
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:29PM
jenjackson1
Thanks, underedenx! Good ideas. I don't know what a shluter is, though. Is that the metal line that separates the tile from the rest of the wall? We still have a ways to go (and sorry for the mess, we just got the tile up this afternoon), but we're getting there!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:32PM
PRO
Terri Symington, ASID
additional lighting fixtures... depending on how glamorous you really want the space to be... of course your ceiling height will determine the size...
1 Like   February 20, 2013 at 8:34PM
jenjackson1
Terri, brilliant! I've never heard of that technique before. I will definitely look into it!
0 Likes   February 20, 2013 at 8:34PM