Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
1960s bathroom
mel0422
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello everyone,

Just brought a house and I'm in the mist of remodeling this bathroom and would appreciate any bathroom ideas for this layout

Thank you ! :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fabia
Where does your budget allow you to go.? It all starts there
February 20, 2013 at 8:27PM   
PRO
ASVInteriors
If the layout stays the same
Change out the units for a more modern ones in white porcelain. Change your tiling floor and ceiling to a creamy beige that will bring in the light.
If you can cut down half or shower wall and replace it with glass brick or panel to allow more visual space,
Remove your valance and the pink mirror by the toilet. Bring your mirror lower or replace it with a hanging mirror.
February 20, 2013 at 8:31PM   
rawketgrl
What do you like? What are you keeping? What do you want to replace?
February 20, 2013 at 8:33PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
You are in the midst of this remodel? What was your goal when you started? I mean...do you just get in the car and start out on a vacation driving randomly in your pajamas? Or do you have a destination and bags packed for the trip? A little more information on your current "location" and your eventual destination will help us help you.
February 20, 2013 at 8:59PM     
cyn222
Play up the blue, green and white in this room. White shower curtain will keep it open and feel fresh. I would open the wall to the shower with glass panel to make it feel more spacious and bright. If you don't like cabinets, float a counter for more open feel. I personally love the color, but not a fan of the white toilet seat.
February 20, 2013 at 9:12PM     
rawketgrl
If you are not changing the layout:

KEEP:
*Tile, gorgeous color.
* Not sure what the floor surface is. I would probably replace with black & white or black/white/gray tile.

REPLACE:
* Faucet, shower rod and shower curtain hardware - brushed silver.
* Toilet, sink, vanity, counter top. I would go with white, with teal and white flecked granite, or whiteish granite counter.
* Shower curtain, towel bars = white.
* Bath accessories = black
* Valence and mini blinds with white shutter or engineered wood blinds.

PAINT:
* Walls - light light gray with bluish green undertone.
* Wall art, window frame and molding all white.

ADD:
*White molding frame around mirror.
*Light fixture white milk glass with black or brushed silver features or black.
February 20, 2013 at 9:41PM     
kathleen MK
It reminds me of the home I grew up in. I'd keep the tile if in good shape. Go for the MCM look with a few updates. new toilet if you can't match the seat. It would be more efficient. new counter top black or white.Since you probably can't get the swan shower curtain my Mom got with green stamps, a plain white one will do.
February 20, 2013 at 10:02PM   
ourhomerobin
LOVE the tile -- KEEP IT -- it's in! Replace the toilet lid to match aqua toilet or replace toilet in white. New mirror above sink, new light fixture above sink, new counter top. As soon as you read this remove the valence. New towels to match - white with aqua dots. Floor: if it does not match the wall tile, replace it with white marble or something with an aqua fleck in it, maybe black with aqua and white flecks. Fun area rugs are easier than taking out tile. Take down pink wall hanging - right now. Take down the shower curtain and replace it with sliding shower doors, either glass or frosted glass. These are easy and inexpensive updates. Have fun!
February 20, 2013 at 10:18PM     
mel0422
I want to redo everything I hate the the colors I envision more neutral colors and new vanity
February 21, 2013 at 5:30AM     
mel0422
@fabia $7000 for materials the labor is free
February 21, 2013 at 5:31AM   
mel0422
@iron wood builders sorry I'm so vague I m open to anything I love tiles and light neutral colors I just need to stick to the layout of the bathroom
February 21, 2013 at 5:33AM   
nasmijati
Replace the TOILET with an efficient dual flush model in white. Replace the VANITY - white sink, countertop and cabinet doors. New FAUCET, new LIGHT FIXTURE above the sink, change LIGHT SWITCH COVER to white porcelain (Home Depot).
Replace shower curtain for GLASS SHOWER DOORS. If you can remove the non-tiled portion of the wall between the sink and the tub surround, replace it with glass.
Remove all DECOR from the room. Use pure white decor in the style of your choice, or choose a decor item that has both white and aqua colors.
Leave the WINDOW plain.
PAINT the walls and ceiling semi-gloss off white. Not too creamy, just enough "off" white to keep it from being stark.
Put down white BATHROOM CARPET.
If you can find white TOWELS with aqua trim, buy them. (I looked recently for aqua without success.) Otherwise, get fluffy white "spa" toweling, perhaps with your initial embroidered on them. Black towels will fade quickly and look like charcoal.
Use WHITE LIQUID SOAP DISPENSER on the vanity top, making sure it is a FRAGRANCE you really like (lavender, sandalwood,...).
February 21, 2013 at 6:23AM     
PRO
Photo Captures by Jeffery
If the tiles are in good shape save monies and replace toilet, mirror, sink and vanity, add new window treatments, fresh coat of paint and add some complimentary photos/artwork on the walls.
February 21, 2013 at 6:36AM     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would put a small shutter in that window its a great solution for a bathroom.
February 21, 2013 at 6:37AM     
inabunker
Wow, I had an old bathroom from the fifties that I remodeled because the tile was this ugly black marbely looking tile. If I had that beautiful seafoam color tile, I would have kept it. I wouldn't touch the tile if it's in good shape. It's absolutely gorgeous. I would replace the sink and toilet with white porcelain.
February 21, 2013 at 6:50AM     
groveraxle
Mel, I'm sorry you hate this bathroom because it is seriously cute. Very retro and in right now. If it were mine, I would keep everything that's green (tile and fixtures) and update everything else (vanity and shower). The right art and mirrors and floor could make this bath a star.
Bathroom
Bath
Helena 1
February 21, 2013 at 6:57AM     
mel0422
Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions :)
February 21, 2013 at 7:23AM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I have to agree about keeping the tile. Seriously cool and retro. Even the commode works. The classic Art Deco combination would be a black seat on that commode and black accents in the bath. So do a new shower door with a black frame, build a new vanity and color match the paint to the tile, install a new top and lavatory...black counter, undermount black or white sink. Go Art Deco style faucets and paint the walls and ceiling cream. Use black towels and a black rug to tie things together. If the black (grab some black stuff and bring it in there) doesn't work for you, co cream throughout. Use a bone or biscuit commode and lav with a cream counter and accessories. You'll spend less than your budgeted amount and have the coolest bathroom on the block. Any bonus $$ can go to that vacation fund!
February 21, 2013 at 7:29AM     
ourhomerobin
Live with it a while, consider all of our suggestions, and then if you still cannot stand it, demo and remodel it. Give it a chance the way it is. By taking all of our suggestions and by spending very little, i.e., new cabinet and counters around sink, proper window treatment, towels, new toilet or lid, doors to replace shower curtain, new lights and mirror above sink, you will love it, IT'S IN! Please don't destroy such a cool and well maintained bathroom.
February 21, 2013 at 11:29AM     
nasmijati
Yes, please do consider various possibilities. I suggested lots of white to make it like a "spa," however Ironwood also has good suggestions.
(I still think black towels will not look pretty after several washings. Maybe if they were washed separately...)
February 21, 2013 at 2:59PM     
Elle Kay
I had a house with the same color tile & fixtures. Was a nightmare to coordinate accessories with at that time (1982.) Good luck!
February 23, 2013 at 10:33AM   
chickinvic
Well, I am going to go against the crowd here. I hate the tile and it would be going if it were my bathroom too. I don't care if it's "in" again. If you hate it get rid of it.
February 23, 2013 at 11:20AM