Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Horrible living room layout don't know how to place furniture
jessduplantis
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I don't know what to do with this room or how to place furniture please help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jessduplantis
There are some obvious upgrades but we rent and can only do so much on a budget
February 20, 2013 at 9:41pm   
Donna Van_Atta
Add more pics, confused with layout.
February 20, 2013 at 11:32pm   
charleee
If I'm understanding the layout, the tv and fireplace are at right angles to each other? Ok, here's what I would do. Remove everything on and around the two sofas. One tall plant, like a palm, in that corner is all you need. Ditto the mantel, one or two large pieces will look better than an assortment of small ones. You might think about a brighter area rug to liven things up.
February 21, 2013 at 1:30am     
nancy22032
You have two focal points in the room, the TV and the fireplace, so no wonder you're confused. If the FP is a freestanding electric one, could you put the FP in a family room or master bedroom and focus the furniture in the living room around the tv? You definitely needs some color to brighten up the browns.
February 21, 2013 at 1:49am     
jessduplantis
Thanks guys the fireplace is built in. I haven't added any pics or decor really because I don't know how to layout. The kitchen is to the right and the hallway to the front door is next to where the t.v. Is. I have tried making the fireplace the focal point but then the couches feel awkward being the first thing you see when you walk in the door. Then I would need to put the t.v on top of the fireplace.
February 21, 2013 at 8:43am   
charleee
Well, looking at your fireplace, the mantel doesn't seem like it's that high so putting the tv over it, angled downward might not be so bad. I think the furniture layout you have is about the best you could do. I really think if you could lose all the little things it will make the room seem a lot bigger.
February 21, 2013 at 8:50am   
prissy13
I think you have enough room here to make two separate seating areas. Right now it looks like your sofas are way too far from your actual TV spot. I would grab two small chairs and a small round end table in between them and create a conversation nook by the fireplace. Then i would pull your sofa closer to the TV, for family viewing time. Try pulling your sofas away from the wall and letting them float in the center of the room surrounding the TV. Then add your area rug underneath to designate as the TV space. When ytou do this, make sure to leave an ample walking path around the furniture from your hall way to your living room and kitchen. My best advice, that someone told me, was to take out all the furniture in the room, then start adding back in starting with only the main, large pieces. Its much easier to play with layout and decide on what you really want/need in the room.
February 21, 2013 at 9:04am   
misecretary
I don't see any lamps which leads me to believe the only light in the room is from the ceiling fan.
1. Open those drapes and let some light in to chase the shadows away.
2. I've read that if a room doesn't have many windows, to hang a mirror across from the window to reflect light back into the room. You've got a lovely mirror above the fireplace; would you consider moving it across from the window/
It appears that the entire room is different shades of brown and beige.
3. What is your favorite color? Find some fabric (a pattern) to re-cover the accent pillows shown in the picture. Pick up additional pillow forms or more pillow stuffing to bulk up the pillows.
4. Pick up some lamps.
5. What is that little niche where the tree sits? Does it lead to another area>
February 21, 2013 at 9:45am   
jessduplantis
No the niche where the plant is just had a window in it which I thought of puttig a shelf in there if I move the t.v. Above the fireplace. I also thought about painting the mantle but don't know what color.
February 21, 2013 at 10:04am   
misecretary
how about that ladder shelf I see in one of the pics?
February 21, 2013 at 10:08am     
charleee
Can you put the tv in the niche? Angle it in toward the sofas?
February 21, 2013 at 11:44am   
jessduplantis
I thought about putting the ladder shelf there I will try that. The t.v. Is too big to go in the small niche otherwise it would be perfect for the t.v. :(
February 21, 2013 at 11:51am   
More Discussions
How Can We make this bedroom feel more comfortable?
I love everything about our home, but I have never...
What do you think??
Saw it. .. liked it. .. made it...
Desperately needing a focal point
The furniture that I thought I'd lost a shot at reappeared...
Describe your kitchen in one word.
If you only had one word to do it, how would you describe...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.