Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Great room needing design help
Nicole Salmon
February 20, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am in need of design ideas for my great room. We recently bought our brand new home. I want a reclaimed wood mantel. However our tv is in an awkward place and can't think of anywhere else to put it. We have 3 daughters and lots of toys and books everywhere and we can't seem to find a storage system that doesn't look like storage. HELP! ! FEEDBACK WELCOME!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
I wouldn't do a mantel at all. The room is going to look busy enough! How about a nice art piece instead? Storage ottomans as a coffee table for the toys will work nicely. I'm not crazy about the window treatments. They remind me of bedsheets. (sorry). I think a graphic print would look nice.
February 20, 2013 at 11:34pm     
charleee
That's exactly where we have our tv, to the right of the fireplace. I agree with Darzy, no mantle. The area to the left of the fireplace could be used for toy storage if you could put a tall bookcase there. And storage ottomans are great too. It's probably just the picture but the window treatments look like pj's, sorry!
February 21, 2013 at 1:23am     
violinist3713
I agree with darzy as well. Ottomans would be the perfect place to hide all those toys:)
February 21, 2013 at 8:24am   
Darzy
How about a couple ottomans like this? You may not like the purple, but I'm sure they are available in other colors. These are great side almost side/by/side as a coffee table and perfect to quickly throw the toys in. With a small tray, you can use as a coffee table too. They are also great together as a "bench" at the foot of a bed.

February 21, 2013 at 9:14am     
0825sam
Hi - We are in the same stage of life as you with all the kiddies' stuff needing to be hidden. I echo the storage ottoman idea. We are using a tufted storage bench as a coffee table in the room we use as a TV room. We also have something like what you have in that nook, which I use with bins and also open sheves for books. I am not sure if it would fit in your space, but the Ikea expedit cube storage is larger and taller than what you have. It will still look like storage, but with nice bins and using some as bookshelves and for displaying vases, pottery, etc., put some cool lamps on top, it can look nice. Our TV is mounted over our fireplace. I know some do not like that, but sometimes it's the best place to remove the clutter of it all (and in my room it's the only place it can go - the only wall space in our strange room is the fireplace wall). Target (or Mashalls, Home Good, etc) also has some nice, big floor baskets you can use to collect toys. I have my son's blocks in one of those.
February 21, 2013 at 9:40am     
apple_pie_order
Storage ottomans may not be safe for kids; they may get trapped inside.

Use open bins or storage cubbies instead. Your house is going to have toys for years to come. Storage cubbies and bins will be well-used. Bolt storage cubbies to the wall to prevent tip-overs from climbing kids.
February 21, 2013 at 10:02am   
Nicole Salmon
Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions!
February 22, 2013 at 2:01am     
PRO
Soring Interiors
I would have my tv wired on the fire place wall above it . It will open up the space in the room . possibly an amoire that could hide all the excess toys ect. I would change the curtains for sure. You could even if on a budget measure both side of the walls next to fire place and make a custom bookshelf look either from sctrach or IKEA products which would be cheaper. their bookshelves have doors of glass if need be. I would get rid of all the small stuff in the corners. get a more tailored couch facing the fire place or two couches facing each other length wise from the fire place and two matching chairs with table inbetween facing fire place. pamela@soringinteriors.com
February 22, 2013 at 2:45am     
mandek
I agree with Sorting, hang the tv on the fireplace. On both sides of the fireplace you need shelving with bins. Doors optional, you can make it as simple or as difficult as you want it. The shelving on one side will need to accommodate your electronics. The one in the corner could be all play. Round coffee table, ottoman, I keep thinking a spot under the window for coloring and tea parties. Coffee tables are a great size for little ones to play at. The tables you select will be used by the children for sure I would find some poufs.
February 22, 2013 at 3:04am     
mandek
Looking at the picture again I would designate the recessed window area for play, make the couch face the fireplace. You have a view of all the activity.
February 22, 2013 at 3:07am     
Nicole Salmon
Soring/Mandek - I like the idea of hanging the TV however what kind of furniture would I need for the receiver box, bluray player, xbox, sound system, PS3? I always wondered where people put their stuff on TV shows.
February 22, 2013 at 1:01pm