Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Cabinet color
ewillert
February 21, 2013 in Polls
Can't decide if I should change the color of these cabinets to white or leave their original color. What do you think?
White
Original color
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rouxb
I think if you can't decide you should not paint the wood-no going back from that decision. I would leave the wood and add some color in accessories or back splash.
February 21, 2013 at 1:02AM     
underedenx
I sat here for a good while b4 i voted... i love painted cabinetry, but i have to be honest these are beautiful the way they are! the countertop is perfect! the range is outa sight! leave it be!
February 21, 2013 at 1:04AM     
underedenx
rouxb is right... it needs a backsplash!!
February 21, 2013 at 1:05AM   
nancy22032
underedenx is so right - the cabinets are beautiful and impressive. The range is such a great focal point. Some color in a backsplash would really help. For interest, you might have one of those tile installations above the range - Houzz kitchens have some wonderful ones pictured.
February 21, 2013 at 1:53AM     
floor360
Screams for a backslash...
February 21, 2013 at 2:56AM   
soberg
99% of the time, painting cabinets is the right way to go, but your case is the 1% exception. They are absolutely beautiful - don't paint.
February 21, 2013 at 3:06AM     
PRO
Custom Marble & Granite
Don't paint, change the counter tops and have a tile designer give you a focal point
February 21, 2013 at 3:22AM   
PRO
Custom Marble & Granite
I would do a granite with a lot of movement, then do a full splash with movement coming up behind the range.
February 21, 2013 at 3:23AM   
poeticmoma
Paint the upper cabinets only. Choose a color that is muddied (has black mixed in) and you love. Not black (way too dark, defeats the purpose of painting). Have a professional do the work. Choose your backsplash at the same time - first might be easier, find a few you really like and then pick the paint color. And the backsplash does not have to have black in it! In fact, I would say it shouldn't because then the stove and vent will really pop. The upper cabinets to the left are distracting - off center. I would remove them and build something to balance the window on the right, or just keep the smaller cabinet. You can do anything there since you're going to paint it!
February 21, 2013 at 4:04AM   
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
Those are gorgeous cabinets! Maybe look into re-staining them a lighter color for a different look. IMO, high quality cabinets like those shouldn't be painted. Good luck....
February 21, 2013 at 4:16AM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Keep the range and cabinets! New flooring...look at French limestone to go with that French range, in a large Ashlar format. New counter tops (maybe a quartz with a marble look) and limestone backsplash. Add some pot racks either side of the range and hang some nice copper pots and pans.. Or even a U-shaped rack to keep the cookware within easy reach. Play up that
February 21, 2013 at 8:18AM     
Judy M
I almost always vote to paint, but not this time. I agree backsplash would enhance and Ironwood's floor suggestion is perfect. Travertine in the versailles pattern (maybe that is similar to Ironwood's idea) would also work.
February 21, 2013 at 8:24AM   
kargus
I would paint the window trim white and leave cabinets alone.
February 21, 2013 at 8:24AM   
trudela
Paint the window trim and put in a back spash, and you will love it.
February 21, 2013 at 8:31AM   
Lizabeth
No paint, and yes to new tile floor and new backspash. So much right with that room. True to period, functional, great sink and awesome stove .Cabinets are lovely.
February 21, 2013 at 8:35AM   
Jayme H.
I would leave cabinets, repaint the walls..And add a backsplash.
February 21, 2013 at 8:37AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.