Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Wanting to soften the black windows on this house we are buying
suzpink
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
How do you think white frames around the black windows would look? Also what colour would you paint exterior- maybe white. One white on the walls and another starker white on the frame around the windows,,,,,your ideas would be appreciated
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
Painting the body white and using white trim is going to do the opposite of softening the black windows.

Pick a medium-toned color that goes nicely with the roof and apply it to both the body and the trim.

Less contrast between the windows and the other elements will soften the look.
2 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:47AM
AMN
Here's one.
4 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:52AM
suz1956
Thank you so much for your input, really appreciate it
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:53PM
suzpink
I have seen a house today with a look of the windows I was looking for - what do you think!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 1:45AM
PRO
The Color People
The house will feel happier working better with the natural colors of the yard and the brown of the wood porch base and stairs. These elements are integral parts to the house and need to feel included in the overall scheme.

If you like a white house use a softer off white so it is not so stark although a light color like a yellow of tan of khaki would work with the wood better. The house would really be helped by adding trim around the windows as the black windows really contrast a lot. You will want to use a lighter color for the window trim but not white because you want to soften the starkness of the black. Also paint the fascias and porch element in the trim color as well to make the house feel cohesive.

Finally if you put shrubs across the front of the porch it would make the house feel grounded and a whole lot more like is belongs to the lot.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:58AM
PRO
TJP Designs and Construction LLC
Not white trim, that would make the windows pop even more! AMN had a nice color suggestion photo above!!!!
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:18AM
lessismoore
It looks like the house is currently painted white and "if" you have wood trim around the black frame windows, it is also painted black. Based on the 2nd photos you posted, of the trim/paint work you liked,l think you could have the window trim painted a "cream" color, and paint the house a tone of khaki/taupe.
Here is a combo (black color is meant to match windows, not to paint) which might work
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 9:59AM
More Discussions
Bathroom Tile Help!
I need your advice on choosing tile for our Master...
How do I make red walls work in my son's room?
My 11-year-old son wants his new room painted red....
Choosing Bathroom Tile!
Choosing Bathroom Tile!
shower curtains ceiling to floor?
when and why did we go to shower curtains from ceiling...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.