Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Advice please on living room design
Jody Marcell
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I would love some advice on wall color and other things I should do to complete this room. Has a lot of things in it I love but feels incomplete. I ordered grand marquis glass and gold finish narrow console to add. Should I rearrange furniture? Where should console go? Other suggestions? Want to remove wallpaper and paint.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jody Marcell
Here are more photos from different angles and close up of wallpaper
February 21, 2013 at 4:32am   
Jody Marcell
Too sunny out to get clear photos. These may be better.
February 21, 2013 at 6:05am   
decoenthusiaste
Very nice space and you have lovely pieces. One thing I notice is that the lower shelves at the end of the room seem like black holes in contrast to the lovely lighted ones above. Any chance of lighting all of them? You can have puck lights installed on the sides of the openings. Painting the interiors a nice accent color like your yellow chair would be the least I'd do there. The Empire style wallpaper is pretty, but the green color in it would be a very nice shade to paint your space. Put your new console on the wall where the drop leaf table and lamp are. Or perhaps you'd like to show it off in the foyer. Meanwhile, I'd square the table under the art. Art is a place where you can make a big change. The large unframed piece does not suit your style, but if it is a sentimental favorite it should be hung above an anchoring piece of furniture like the sofa. Consider framing it .The piece over the sofa now is more in scale with the wall where you have the table. Can't see the art above the desk to advise. Usually art hangs 4-8" above the piece it is with, but the wainscot doesn't allow for this. If the centers of the pieces hang at 60" or less above the floor they will look better. Consider re-framing with lighter frames for less contrast with the walls and some new pieces. Big visual change would be to add a classic patterned or oriental rug instead of the dark one. If you paint the green, I'd suggest a rug with the yellow of your accent chair and the green of the walls. Another spot where you need to sprinkle some of the yellow accent would be at the window seat. Would you consider a new seat cushion and pillows there and additional yellow pillows on the sofa? I see you have one already. That would add a pop of color, but I would remove the ceramic pot of greenery - that yellow is a bit too harsh for your visually soft room. homedecorators.com has a great selection of rugs. You can shop by color, style, material, etc. My clients have been very pleased with them. Here is a photo of some pretty greens and yellows used together. You could take your yellow accent color into the foyer for a warm intro to your home.

February 21, 2013 at 7:15am     
PRO
ASVInteriors
I love your home - very elegant (I am also intrigued by that very ironic touch of a coffee table which is seems to be industrial chic!)

Anyway, I usually concur with decoenthusiaste has to say (she has very good ideas) but I am not seeing green, I am seeing blue - perhaps it my screen monitor...

If it is blue/grey, I would prefer you keep with another wallpaper that echoes the one in your hallway in a more subtle manner. Farrow and Ball do a lovely traditional gold stamped bee wallpaper which would give sparkles of light and echo your side table. http://eu.farrow-ball.com/bumble-bee-bp-507/bumblebee//fcp-product/200507
February 21, 2013 at 7:56am     
Jody Marcell
Thanks decoenthusiaste and ASVInteriors. I will look in to puck lighting. The large painting is part of my husband's collection. Perhaps it will get moved to our bedroom

My initial plan for the room was gray and yellow with a few pops of orange so my factory cart table is not so disconnected. I love it so it is not going anywhere.

The area rug is a charcoal gray Berber. I feel like it is too small and would love to have a lighter/brighter rug as you suggest in here but it is not in the budget and not a practical purchase right now since I have a 16 year old dog who has accidents. Arggh!!

The wallpaper does have green in it. I am not a fan of the wallpaper choices the previous owner put up. The Farrow and Ball above is lovely but I plan to remove and paint both the living room and hallway. Removal and painting are in my budget no papering. I plan to have a professional remove four rooms of wallpaper, prime and then I will paint. I was leaning toward a gray or taupe or taupe-gray color. Any suggestions on specific color or going light or dark? My kitchen next door to this room (on other side of french doors) will be green. Hallway and dining room still unsure of color.

Hallway has no room for new console. I will try it, as you suggsested, where my grandmother's leaf table is. What about in front of window behind two chairs?

I will rearrange art. What about a big (55"-60" or so) rectangular mirror over sofa?

Thanks again for the help.
February 22, 2013 at 3:40am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Perhaps then I would recommend a medium grey for your walls - they will work with your dark grey carpet, bring out the yellow accents you have and also make your factory cart pop (the darker you go with the walls the more it will pop, but that depends how daring you feel). Grey will go with the green in your kitchen. You will now have to play with the shade of grey that works.... choose greys with red and green undertones...

So I suggest you take a make a selection (4 chips of each colour) and stick them on your walls (one on each wall) and watch how their colours change over a day or too. You might want to go for a grey with subtle undertones of green. Then when you have narrowed it down - paint a sample on the walls (bigger patch) to make sure again.... This will be the clincher on whether to go for your chosen colour or start looking again...
February 22, 2013 at 3:52am   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Very nice room and great suggestions so far. I love the eclectic look but still on teh formal side but such that you still feel comfortable in the room. Bravo! Three things to change cought my eye right away.
1 Dark Bookcases, an easy fix would be to place 4 library lights at the top that will then shine down on the entire bookcase. lampsplus.com has them in all finishes and you will be able to wire them with the existing wires coming out of the inside of the bookcases.

2, Rug Size and pattern. The rug is way too small and blah. I would purchase a beautiful oriental or transitional style rug which would fill the room better and add some pattern to the room. Then you can push sofa back. I would then pick a color from that rug to paint the walls above the wainscotting. If you have a particular color in mind then you will be attracted to a rug that has that color as part of the design.. If you really cant find some $ for a new rug, atleast get a larger seagrass or sisal rug which is larger and place it under the current rug but I would really try to find the dollars as it is the item that is going to pull this whole room together. Try Ebay for a good value. Then you dont have to worry about the pouch. Once you have rug and room color down you can determine the color of the foyer. The old rule of thumb of starting with the rug may actually work for you.

3.Drop leaf table should be moved next to the sofa instead of the little short table with a nice lamp on it.

In regards to your questions, I am not sure what the console looks like but I would place it in front of the window with the chairs in front and the little low table for a layered look.

The art (which looks really cool and not cookie cutter as is often suggeted on this site) could be moved around a little. The obvious is to place teh large one over the sofa and then group the smallwr ones on the wall to the right of the large window with the desk centered under them. I feel that art should be framed to bring out teh qualities of the art and not to match a room, Good art like you have will look great in any room when properly framed and hung and does not have to match anything.

The cool industrial cart clearly adds an unexpected touch but I am not sure it works You love it so see how it does when you have made the other changes. It might be more apprpriate in a little more casual room like the family room or at the foot of your bed.The key to an eceteic room is that while the items are diverse they speak to each other and somehow have a connection.

You clearly are starting from a better point than most we see on the site. Great job so far. I have really had fun with this room and wish I could be there to help you in person.
February 22, 2013 at 4:47am   
Jody Marcell
Thank you for your thoughtful comments and advice. I will consider some of them. Moving cart to end of master bed is a possibility. I will post photos once I make some of the changes. Thanks again!! Very helpful.
February 23, 2013 at 8:48am     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Glad I could be of help.
February 23, 2013 at 7:48pm   
PRO
Warner Decor
Hi! I think that a few more yellow throw pillows on the couch would look great. here are few that I think would go nicely with your room:
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/sunny-flora-embroidered-pillow/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/dixie-pillow/
http://deciture.com/shop/decor/7/adelle-pillow/

(I think the last ones would look great in your two white chairs)
February 13, 2014 at 7:00am