Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Choppy kitchen, Need help to make it flow
jrdreyer
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I definitely need help with making this kitchen flow. It still seems choppy to me. I tried to use the original cabinets even though we completely changed the layout of the kitchen. My husband made the bottom 2 cabinet doors on either side of the oven, but the rest are original. I thought the shelves would look cute, but it just seems to be choppy. Any more suggestions to make this kitchen flow? I may have to change out all the cabinets with new doors/drawers to match each other.....
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
Personally, I would paint all the cabinets white. On the shelves I would add all white dishes/pottery to keep the color flowing thru out the space.
February 21, 2013 at 8:04am     
0825sam
In most photos I have seen with shelves flanking the stove, there is only a hood above the stove and the entire area is tiled. I think the set up you have - with the microwave above and the cabinet - is what's making it look unfinished. It looks like there should be tall cabinets on either side of your microwave to the ceiling or maybe at the very least next to the above-microwave cabinet. Then as Liza said you can fill the bottom shelves with some white pottery to fill in the space.
February 21, 2013 at 8:09am     
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Yes, I think instead of those shelves it should just be cabinets because the microwave is what is throwing it off. Plus I would also paint all the cabinets white. I think you were trying to add character and interest to the space but sometimes, especially with kitchens, simple is best. They just naturally have a lot going on so keeping it clean and simple is important. On another note, the counters, the white cabinets, and the diamond backsplash look great! Carry out those elements and you will have a beautiful kitchen!
February 21, 2013 at 8:15am        Thanked by jrdreyer
jrdreyer
What about glass front cabinets? Should I also change out all the cabinet doors to match? Or do you think as long as they are all white they will flow?
February 21, 2013 at 8:28am   
jrdreyer
by the way, this space is on the beach in mexico, not sure if this makes a difference.
February 21, 2013 at 8:29am   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
I think glass for the uppers will look nice. I see why you chose some of the elements we see now. You were trying to incorporate the beachy feel. I think there are other ways to do it but keep your kitchen simple classic and timeless. I don't want to make you redo anything or go over board but what about this suggestion:
Add all cabinets to the uppers instead of those shelves. They put in seeded glass that has a green/blue tint to it (or regular glass would be great too). Kind of like the color of glass you would find on the beach. Then for the bottom colors, paint all the cupboards and doors the same color but maybe instead of white use that green/blue sea glass color, possibly in a darker more muddy tone. To add in a touch of beach whimsy, you could do starfish hardware and then over your kitchen table do a shell chandelier. Even a wall of grasscloth wallpaper will really add a beach feel to the space but keep it simple classic and sophisticated at the same time. Below are a few suggestions for you to consider.
Art Deco Influence
Kitchen, bath, office
Fully Furnished
Pleasant Valley
CVL Designs
Iona Painted Kitchen
February 21, 2013 at 8:54am   
jrdreyer
Yes, we could reface the whole top with glass doors. Maybe we can then take the unmatched doors/drawers on the bottom on sink side and replace with the same type doors as next to stove.
I would like to mix beachy with mexican, but it is proving to be very difficult for me.
February 21, 2013 at 9:09am   
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
I think you have the right idea but you have to pick and choose where to use these things. I would do a classic beachy look for the fixed finishes, such as your kitchen. Then add the mexican stye to your furniture. This will be much more cohesive. Its not that the two dont match or go together its juts hard to use EVERYTHING in one spot.
February 21, 2013 at 9:42am      Thanked by jrdreyer
jrdreyer
Thanks for all your help!
February 21, 2013 at 10:52am   
Jayme H.
Your crown on top of cabinets could be dark, like your weathered wood.
February 21, 2013 at 10:58am   
PRO
Kelli Kaufer Designs
I abosuletly LOVE the doors your husband made - I would make all the doors and drawers in this but make sure they are all going in the same direction, horizontal. Cabinet frames white, it really accents the wood fronts beautifully! I recommend removing the wall cabinet on the far left and continue your open shelving. You can keep the wall cabinet in the middle. I have all upper open shelving in my kitchen and I do love it! Casual and relaxed look, one that is not for everyone but works for me and my family. You have the beginnings of beautiful, unique kitchen!!!
February 21, 2013 at 11:11am        Thanked by jrdreyer
jrdreyer
Here is an updated image after all the changes. Added glass front doors (thanks to my man for making), molding across the top, and finish off shelves with paint. Still on the fence about painting the reclaim wood on the drawers and cabinets to get better flow.
May 5, 2013 at 11:44am     
Jayme H.
That looks a lot better!! Great job!
May 5, 2013 at 3:59pm   
cjadorne1
Great job! Would you mind sharing the name/brand of tile used for the backsplash?
May 5, 2013 at 5:50pm   
jrdreyer
i do not have the name of the tile but I got it from mirsa tile in puerto penasco, Mexico. Turned out great.
May 6, 2013 at 6:59am   
PRO
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
I recommend painting all the base cabinet doors and drawers white and removing the two remaining wall cabinets, using only full length open shelves painted white...
May 6, 2013 at 7:09am   
PRO
Creations by Alno, Inc.
Contemporary Home Office by Denver Design-build GRUBER HOME REMODELING
May 6, 2013 at 1:20pm