Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with front house facade
Savonee Savoy
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Me and my partner are at odds regarding the front of our house. We live in Arizona and it gets very hot during the summer. We wanted to install a shad screen between the columns on the front of the house. Our house is a mid-century modern home. I want to keep the design in that respect but my partner wants to slap up horizontal wood slats. What do you guys think?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
Some thick bamboo roll-up screens would help provide shade, can be rolled up or removed when not needed, and would be in keeping of the style of your home.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 9:58AM
PRO
LeMaster Architects
Wood slats could work as long as they were the right color/stain and the right spacing.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 10:03AM
PRO
Urban Oasis
Horizontal wood slats is a very mid century modern look but are you sure you want to block off your light like that? I would do a horizontal wood fence at the sidewalk to create a courtyard.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 10:50AM
PRO
Carey & Co
The horizontal wood fence with +/- 2 inches between the slats in a walnut stain about a foot from the entry path would relate well to the siding at the right and not interfere with the structure of the house. I would imagine a fence at the sidewalk would be against code in your area. Landscaping could work well but since it's Arizona that's difficult to maintain.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 10:59AM
onthefence
Maybe something like this done in frosted acrylic panels?

0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:00AM
PRO
Carey & Co
NICE!!! How does this hold up to the heat and sun in Arizona?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:01AM
Savonee Savoy
Yes, my partner is adamant that we need some kind of shade to block the sunlight during hot summer months. The front of the house faces northwest, so we got full sun. My partner wants wood slats that can be taken off after hot summer months.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:02AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Could you not use a line of vertical slats rather than horizontal? Planted at a diagonal with space between them, you will allow breeze and even a view - but at certain points of the day the sun will go around and create total shade... I have been trying to find an image to illustrate it, but unfortunately not much luck - if you are interested let me know and I will search further....
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:17AM
AMN
ASV - you're thinking like a vertical louver? That's a good idea.
There is a smattering of photos on Houzz when I search vertical + louver http://www.houzz.com/%2Bvertical-%2Blouver

Here's a picture showing how vertical louvers could work in this setting (obviously they would not be this material in this pic): http://www.artonfile.com/images/PARIS-6-3.jpg
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 11:27AM
Savonee Savoy
@AMN- Yes I think your idea could work. I like that idea.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:52AM
PRO
Worthington Millwork, LLC
Add balusters in between the columns to make a front porch, You could even paint them a bold color, you need more greenery also. possibly some shrubs to line your drive way. Use http://blog.worthingtonmillwork.com/bid/217080/5-Steps-How-to-Install-Balustrade-Systems-up-to-Round-Porch-Columns to see how you would go about putting a baluster system in between your current porch posts.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:59AM
PRO
ASVInteriors
Thanks so much AMN - sometimes I get caught between English and American words and then ocmpound it with French ... you got the word I wanted spot on!!!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:06PM
onthefence
AMN ASV - excellent idea! I'm speculating that if constructed the right way the louvers could even be adjustable. You could turn them depending on the level of sun blockage you needed.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:16PM
Savonee Savoy
@worthington millwork- I don't think baluster will work for this design. I think baluster's would work for elizabethan types of home. This home is mid-century modern, very simple lines.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:56PM
PRO
Worthington Millwork, LLC
Just did a little quick sketch in paint - i think something like this wouldnt look bad even though it is mid-century modern - however everyone has different tastes
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 1:34PM
Savonee Savoy
@worthington Millwork- I understand now about what you mean about the baluster and thank you so much for the sketchup and this gives me some great ideas about the landscaping. However, one of the things I was hoping to get input on was the shading of the front between the post. AMN gave suggestions about vertical slats done correctly would look good.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 2:59PM
AMN
Don't worry, ASV, it took me way to long to remember the word louver! :-)
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 7:31PM