Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help with accessories and the large blank wall
cherc
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have tried the furniture a ton of different ways. There are things I'm stuck with for now...that have to be in here, like the piano.

I like color, but need help putting it together. The how the couch wall is looking ok to me. Should it be? hehe
What stuff should go where?? ;) Can I put a sunburst mirror over the settee? I can buy/remove accessories and art, but probably not furniture right now.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
cherc
Please? =)
February 21, 2013 at 6:00pm   
collettec
I like the idea of the starburst mirror above the settee as long as it is big enough. For the rest of that wall, I think you should have something taller on the chest on the other side of the settee, perhaps something like a table lamp. I think the area around the piano could use more work. I think the art is too large that is over the chair and should be smaller and the chair should be moved into the room more even if it means moving the ottoman. The vase and flowers on the piano are a bit oversize as well. I really like your room - it's very eclectic, warm and colorful. One thing I would pay attention to in picking furnishings and colors is working to make sure they work with the entire room, not necessarily just with the pieces near them. For example you have the one wall with the sofa more blue and the side with the piano orange and pink. Think I would mix it up and maybe stay more with the blue and orange given the furnishings as the primary colors and spread them through the room with pillows, etc rather than being in just one area. Good luck!
February 21, 2013 at 6:13pm     
Jayme H.
It seems like mutliple styles going on. Not sure all the pics should be in the room together. The room needs more unity. The large painting on the side of the sofa seems too large to be on the wall. Could it go over the settee? I don't know if I would introduce another style into the room. I would go for all black frames, and maybe remove the orange chair from the room.
February 21, 2013 at 6:14pm     
PRO
JWinteriors
I would remove orange chair and ottoman. I would add a tall mirror over cabinet for sparkle and refection...it wont fight with your large floral as another picture might. Get a set of 4 pictures and hang them over the settee. Change out the pillows on settee...they are too bland right now. Remove large picture in corner by the window. You have beautiful plantation shutters...neutral window panels on either side to soften the room.
February 21, 2013 at 6:26pm     
Keitha
I like the orange chair and think it is more to scale with the other pieces. I suggest removing the armless chair.... It looks too small. Add pops of orange in other areas and I think Jayme is right that you don't really need to introduce too many other styles, then it begins to have a chaotic feel.
February 21, 2013 at 6:27pm     
cherc
Yes @ Keitha..it's already tending toward the chaotic. Removing the armless chair would also give more space at the small entrance.
February 21, 2013 at 7:14pm     
libradesigneye
I like the multiple styles - the mark of a sophisticated and personal room. Real art can always layer together and here you have some fabulous things. Wonderful brio this room! Here are some musings you can try or not -

I would take the modern colorful art now in the back corner behind the lamp and put it over the settee off center to the right a bit and balance it with what is on and above the ivory sideboard (shifted left a bit) grouping. If you have an ivory/ecru round tablecloth to try, you might cover the wood end table to help echo / balance the weight of the ivory chest on the other side of the couch. It is nice now but something inexpensive to try. Tonal shine on matte fabric might be even better.

Maybe mix your colors better accessory wise - don't know height wise if you can swap the blue vase and with the japanese lady - feels like the girly colors are all on one side and I see you've added some pillows to the blue that pop but the white backing is not quite working - see below for options.

Maybe add some peach /orange freesia to the pink flowers as a mix or go all grellow green orchid there (assuming silk - love the height and softness but it does layer flowers on one side).

If there is a next time to bear this expense, when you reframe the japanese floral, use silver toned frame and float it with silk silver rice paper backing to match the sparkle here. If you did that, you could put it over the settee and then move the modern art over the orange ottoman - perfection!

One other thing about mixing with your pop of orange. I want to suggest for now that you take the pillows on the settee and move them to the blue couch. For now, get the pops of orange on the chocolate settee - the brown needs some orange on it. Here's one pillow I found that I think pulls all the colors together better than the ones on the sofa. In my experience, you just need to repeat one fabric in the room that uses every major color and then the eye is happier. http://www.etsy.com/listing/120566460/two-orange-yellow-olive-green-turquoise?ref=sr_gallery_39&ga_search_query=pillows+orange+&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_filters=pillow+cotton&ga_page=16&ga_search_type=all

Don't worry about matching all the precise tones - this will help the eye, and so would moving that modern art which I think is fabulous. You have all the layers - this is a wonderful room. There are some other choices that didn't look quite so much like you - http://www.etsy.com/listing/115036369/duralee-abstract-pillow-cover-20-x-20?ref=sr_gallery_42&ga_search_query=pillows+orange+&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_filters=pillow+cotton&ga_page=7&ga_search_type=all
but you might like them better since they also have some pink / more predominant with the green. Or get both - switch my pick in winter and your pick in summer / switch flowers seasonally, and so forth. Hope this gives you some ideas to play with - your sofa wall is looking more than ok.
February 21, 2013 at 7:17pm     
cypress
I like the orange chair, I would want to place it with the ottoman in front of it. Bring some pillows with orange in them onto the settee and sofa. The large picture next to the window I would try behind the settee, and change out the pink flowers on piano with some orange ones. I don't think the white chest works in this room. You have a lot to play with here, remember, less is sometimes more.
February 21, 2013 at 7:19pm     
cherc
If I remove the orange chair and ottoman would I leave that wall as is? It felt funny to me, but clearly I have a problem with blank spaces, which you're helping me with.
The large picture beside the window can fit over the settee, but maybe I should try the set of 4 pictures with black frames? I have lots of black frames, what should go in them?
Pillows on the settee are gone now. What would be better?
I completely agree with the color wall problem, almost like separate rooms! The orange side and the blue side lol
February 21, 2013 at 7:23pm   
Jayme H.
Try your armless chair where the orange one was. If u keep all the pics, put the white framed one by the door in a black frame too. Not sure the cabinet looks right on the settee wall? Or at least not all the way to the side. For pillows I would try fewer colors, more to a theme.
February 21, 2013 at 7:36pm     
cherc
@libradesigneye, I love both of those pillows, and not surprisingly I love changing out things for the Seasons. Now it will look better when I do it! Can you tell from the picture that the settee is out a bit from the wall, and the ivory chest is up against the wall. Should I change this?
Thank you for the kind words about the space!
@Cypress, exactly...helping me handle some empty wall space in the right places. I've had some trouble with where to put that ivory chest, so I can understand the feeling that it doesn't belong. My furniture fit in my previous home, which did have more space and more rooms. So, it's been a challenge to figure out how to put it together here.
I think daughter is almost asleep so I could start moving things around again.
February 21, 2013 at 7:38pm   
Keitha
Here are some pillow ideas.
February 21, 2013 at 7:41pm     
cherc
Wow, I'm really appreciating how the ceiling looks with glossy paint :/
February 21, 2013 at 7:42pm   
studio10001
You've been having fun!! And if a budget fix is what you want, you are almost there. Try this: paint the chest the same yellow as the thing on top of it (lose the thing on top). Move the geisha , blue/green pillows, the orange foot rest, the black thing on the coffee table and pink cherry blossoms to another room. These are all visual blocks. Now you are left with a citrus and sky palette, anchored by the piano (which could use a ghost coat) and the settee. Move the sofa cushions to the settee, and cover the slipper chair in the same or similarily patterned fabric.Now your color scheme is balanced throughout the room and the slipper chair is brought into scale with the rest of the furnishings.(You can even add a few more shots of color via a sofa throw and piano scarf ). The coffee table shoud have something slender and vertical in its scape...candle holder, sculpture, saki set on top of some books, etc. The yellow chest should have somehing clean and neutral on it; you want to draw the eye past it to the painting when you are entering from off right. Think texture and light, not color here. Then ...if you like the idea of a starburst mirror...how about five of them across that back wall? Balanced , of course by metallic branches on the piano to match. Good luck!
February 21, 2013 at 7:44pm     
cherc
@ Studio, yes, I'm up for painting the chest but am torn on yellow...I know, stop focusing on color ;) The thing on top is just a wall sconce. Multiple starburst mirrors sounds good, would something else balance them besides metallic branches? I need to check out metallic branches because I'm probably not picturing the right thing.
What is a ghost coat? That piano is thrashed!
February 21, 2013 at 8:06pm   
studio10001
Just saw the new pics. One additional thought: You might try moving the whole seating area (sans slipper chair) to the chest wall, treating the window/ pic as a single area for centering purposes, and move the chest perpendicular to the front door to create a foyer effect. I like your wall art placement, as it allows you to accomplish this kind of shifting without throwing off the balance of the room, as well as you don't block it with merchandising.
February 21, 2013 at 8:07pm     
studio10001
Ghosting would involve deglossing and restaining in a similar shade to renew the finish. As for branches, I'm thinking along the lines of Harry Lauders Walking Stick and some spray paint. Silk flowers added in if you like them, picking up your citrus colors again. You are right to focus on color! You have alot of it; make it go to work for you!! Try draping tablecloths or something from your closet over the chest to help visualize, and remember that paint is cheap. If you don't like the result, you can always paint over it.
February 21, 2013 at 8:23pm     
libradesigneye
I could tell the chest was on the wall and the settee was forward - I assumed that was so you could center the sofa on the window - which I get. I like it, just wanted to incorporate it more as it felt off by itself - thus the shift it to the left comment.

What if you use the ivory chest like a sofa table / turn it around behind the settee - that gives you some height and layering potential if what you keep in it isn't used terribly often? Or just shift it to the left and shift the settee towards the wall 8" or so - there is an end table, so it doesn't have to enjoy the coffee table tight.

The orange grew on me as the character in the room - it is sort of perfect incorporated in the same space as the flower art. I would not add more yellow here. Tuck the stool under the piano even tighter, and angle your orange chair a tad more, then put the ottoman right up against the chair like a chaise. Shift the coffee table a tad towards the sofa. The ottoman can be pulled out when people use it / moved about the room.

I think you did a lot with what you had - and I even like the texture / small print / citron addition accent of the slipper chair, but it can roam.
February 21, 2013 at 8:28pm     
boysaboys
i really like what libradesigneye says. The one thing i noticed right away and disliked are the pink flowers. They are fake, right? Remove vase to the other beige cabinet that has something yellow on it. I do not care for the contents on that cabinet. Instead place the vase but with fresh greens from outside i.e. nandina, or olive tree branches would work There are so many wonderful textures in plants outside that last ages in water and all at no cost. Twigs are amazing too. If you use fresh greens and/or twigs, you can get away with one or three fake flowers in the mix. Seek out what looks real and important, what is in season. You could do flowering branches now that spring is almost here. Now, fill the top of piano with framed family pics and then move large picture in the center of the wall. Yes, remove small chair by couch, too insignificant and not needed. Mirrored cabinet by couch is awesome, just move it a bit to the left. tablecloth on other table for sure. Keep it neutral, match to pillows. I also think you could scoot the nose of the piana into the corner a bit more and gain a few more inches. Piano will sit a bit more to the left. Now take the brown small couch and trade it with the orange chair. I think you have enough room. Remove all those pillows as none match and replace with down filled as they are much more comfortable and you can get them at Pottery Barn. Buy the fillers and then look for appropriate p'cases. I love what PB offers. Purchase what you can afford. I like large pillows on sofas - 26 x 26 Put one there for now if that is all you can afford then a smaller one on the orange chair and two on the brown sofa. But, all matching of sorts. stripes, plain, checks, work if the colors are similar. If you do go to somewhere like PB or crate and barrel, ask for their opinions. Something with a lot of cream, and a touch of orange, blues etc. Even cream works if the texture is interesting. The brown couch does not have to be near the coffee table but the standing lamp stays, so that it looks like a reading area. The tray on coffee table is great, not sure about the pink inside. Thrift store for a couple more "coffee table" books, maybe with a candle on top of them, colored vase maybe. Pretty glass bowl from Ross, Marshalls would work on coffee table, placed on top of books, but only when you have the pillows in place, then pick a color and accessorize with it. All the large wall needs in a large mirror, again prob find at ross. And, with the large vase with greens etc, it will balance out the wall. A few mirrors together would work too. Get the furniture to where you like it, then move the pictures and then start with the accessories. Perhaps you have a large mirror elsewhere in your home? I would then look for the pillows and tablecloth. all the best.
February 21, 2013 at 9:13pm     
cherc
@boysaboy thank you, great suggestions...I have to say, I hate fake anything. I allowed myself these flowers last Feb. when all is gray and drab =( Then pulled them out again this year. Currently I had cut Willow branches and was spray painting them...but, I really needed to get colors right. I can afford to buy some greenery at least some of the time, so I'll do it.
February 22, 2013 at 6:14am   
cherc
Also, I previously had the settee beside the piano and orange chair in it's place. I like the size of everything that way. I just didn't like the two large brown objects together. Was the suggestion to remove the large flower picture? I have a large mirror in my bedroom and could put the flower pic there. But, I wasn't sure I wanted to look at it that much. hehe I also have large down 26" pillows in the other room. They look great on the couch like you're saying, but may need other covers as they are free jacquard
February 22, 2013 at 6:29am   
cherc
not "free" but green!
February 22, 2013 at 6:37am     
boysaboys
Take the beige cabinet out of the room althogether and the room will look great. Pull the brown couch down a bit away from the sofa and pull the round table out just a tad and you will have a balanced room. Now that i see that other pic, i think the problem is just that beige cabinet. then the walkway into the room is more open and you can easily move around the brown couch. Take out the armless chair too. Even though the furniture is different colors, what will bring them together will be the fillows and throws and tablecloth. For now, take a sheet and drape it over the round table and see how soft it looks. That orange and cream pillow someone posted above is fabulous. I will mention one more thing, i think the pic above the round table is too big for that wall. I would do what you did on the other side with the smaller pics. If that beige dresser is gone then the wall with mirrors on them will look great. If you have a large mirror then go with what you have.
February 22, 2013 at 8:09am     
cherc
So far the armless chair is gone and the extra stuff. Moving the piano like you suggested looks so much better, especially when you come through the front door.
February 22, 2013 at 8:22am   
boysaboys
Great, glad it worked. If you removed the floral pic from that wall and intead put mirrors or your mirror there how would that look to you? You would get a great reflection from outside and it will brighten up the room You could then make the top of the piano busy with pictures and candlesticks whatever. Once you get into the accessories, see if you could find a cushion that fits the piano bench, just to soften it up some. A small sheepskin rug?
February 22, 2013 at 8:34am   
Dawn Nakaya_delk
I would consider getting a cream sofa cover. I love the eclectic feel. Love the orange chair. I would maybe consider removing the pink flowers with something else. Maybe some contemporary pieces to contrast the old with the new. Pop of color. a Orange candle stick or a couple bright orange or pink things from west elm. I like the doll on the buffet. Add something tall like a orange glass lamp next to it. Add some pops of orange. Add a stack of art books. Consider an antique glass mirror in the blank area or a series of small square antique mirrors. I think horchow has a nice set.
February 22, 2013 at 9:18am     
boysaboys
So I am going to throw one more thing at you and then i am done :) On the wall above the orange chair and by the piano, what if you went with two long shelves that are staggered. the lower one would start under the middle of the top one. The brackets would be decorative, not lightweight and the shelves would be wood to tie in with the piano. It would balance that wall with the piano and they would not be in the way at all but would be a place for small art pics, plant, books etc. Two large wonderful candlesticks on the piano and the mirror on the other large wall. taadaa ! Regards xo
February 22, 2013 at 9:36am     
dreaw80
Latley, I have noticed shows like Property Bros, on HGTV doing a feature wall in a deep navy with an accent. I think a deep navy accent wall here would be perfect! I would remove the settee and use some where else and replace with that rust colored chair next to the piano, which would contrast awesome with a deep navy accent wall! I did a deep navy in my office with a gold sunburst mirror and it looks stunning!
February 22, 2013 at 9:43am     
cherc
@dreaw80 I was considering a navy wall...in the other room;) But, it would look cool there.
@Dawn I really want to add some contemporary pieces and I do love eclectic I want clean and eclectic! lol
@boysaboy I would like a mirror there I also have some shelving that is large enough to work, it's black though..too dark? Paint?
Here are a few pics of peoples suggestions-sort of- I wish I was home today!
It's a general idea of moving some of the pieces around. Looking forward to doing more tonight. Thanks all!
February 22, 2013 at 10:41am   
Dawn Nakaya_delk
I like the orange chair next to the painting with guitar. I also like the brown couch with the print over and pillows. Not sure about the sheet. Maybe you could buy a bright colorful table for the corner. I liked the cream buffet. It has a nice eclectic feel. It might look nice next to the orange chair. Bring it back if you can. Also, the couch would look fantastic in cream linen. I re-did my chairs in it and they look completely different. Checkout Emily Henderson's article about layering. She has a similar style to what you are going for. http://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/how-to-incorporate-strong-colors-into-your-neutral-space/
February 22, 2013 at 11:03am     
Dawn Nakaya_delk
West Elm has some great pillows with a contemporary look and nice embroidered texture. Also great colored tables. I bought a lot of different pillows for a house that I put together in a mid-century modern and english art decco style and they all blended so nicely.
February 22, 2013 at 11:10am     
boysaboys
You are doing a great job ! Definitely the beige cabinet is best used somewhere else, i love how the entrance is now open. Just move the round table back a little bit just a few inches toward the wall and i think the brown couch too. just a tad toward the round table. it will make the flow into the room more open. The long pic is great by the orange chair - you will then need to play up the top of the piano, but maybe a tallish green plant? Or, you could still put up shorter shelving - you know the kind that don't have brackets at all, Ikea perhaps, it looks like a floating shelf. Two small ones perhaps the color of the wall (seeing the pic is light) could work. If you did that, then you would prob need to move the pic up a bit. The flower pic behind the brown couch is perfect. That is its home. Make sure when you put it on the wall it is more or less in line with the top of the sofa. I see you have it leaning on something. I love the fact that you covered the round table, i know it is temporary as it is too white, but even still it looks great. It has warmed up the room so much. Perhaps you could find a t'cloth that matches the paint on the walls. That tone. If the lamp and t'cloth are too similar in color just place the lamp on top of two or three large books to break it up. I don't agree with painting one wall, i feel it will close in the room, and there is already a lot going on in there. - but that is just my preference - you are the one living there. Have you any more of those flowerey pillows, if so, throw one on the couch too. The coffee table books look great maybe just a 4x6 candle on top of a dark brown holder will finish it. Good luck.
February 22, 2013 at 11:16am     
cherc
@boysaboy I'm looking at pillows, I really love the first suggestions given by libradesigneye. It's true, I did like the ones with pink in them better.
Neutral window panels still?
@Dawn, thank you I did love the article and yes...I love the look. Come design my house when I get a new one ;)
February 22, 2013 at 11:59am   
boysaboys
i think it is too busy. i like the orange and cream one that keitha showed, 2nd row, on left. at least that idea. That is your pop - then neutural behind it on the sofa. hold off though until you have everything else done. it makes it easier to see how many and what color - yes, check out west elm online too, just to see what they have. how many pillows ? three for couch maybe two large, one small, two for brown sofa, or, one large one could work and one for orange chair. i like the idea of different sizes in pillows.
February 22, 2013 at 12:57pm   
cherc
Ok=)
February 22, 2013 at 1:05pm   
libradesigneye
Like the new piano shift, adjustment of round table / cloth and settee.

Like the modern art by the orange chair and the oriental flowers over the settee. The orientation and available wall space work - and the dark balance is better too. You will eventually be able to add elements to the piano wall / modern art to the right hand side of the canvas, but it isn't missing something.

Now, because the art has moved around, I think the pillows need to move around - you are trying to balance colors. Put the kimono doll on the piano with the flowers, and a current flower pillow in the orange chair, and on only one end of the blue couch. Shift the blue pillows back to the brown settee now that the floral is hung overhead. The green throw on the orange chair may not relate well now that the green chair is out.

I still vote for pillows that have your entire room palette in them - you will find something you love. They will look great on the blue sofa / orange chair long term.

Thanks for allowing us to vicariously work with your space. Enjoy!
February 22, 2013 at 4:21pm     
boysaboys
I don't think you need to do anything with the windows, the shutters seem fine to me. Maybe now that the long picture is gone, you could put a mirror there, nothing too big, or a couple of them one underneath the other. You could tie them in with the coffee table and other mirror table in the room - something along those lines. Nothing too heavy. I would agree to remove the green throw as you will be putting a nice pillow there instead.
February 22, 2013 at 4:38pm     
collettec
I think the orange chair works best on the wall with the piano. I think the other chair is underscale and not really needed in the room. In terms of the room composition, I liked it better originally with the cabinet where it was and the blue art where it was and the table without a cover. I think the blue and rose pictures are both too large for over the brown sofa - liked your idea of one larger or a number of smaller starburst mirrors for there. Don't think the art works on the side of the chair near the piano, I think you need something above the chair, perhaps two smaller pictures. I liked the idea of a vase on the piano to add some visual interest, just a bit smaller than was there originally and perhaps something more natural, grasses, dried pussy willows, or as others have mentioned, something like spray painted bronze, or a creamy white, but not the pink. Good luck!
February 22, 2013 at 4:44pm     
Jayme H.
Can u turn that painting that was by the window, then over settee, the other way? I like it behind your settee...I just don't think the flowery pic with black frame looks good in the room...The pic with the no arm chair by piano, and painting over settee...if turned the other way would look better..just my thoughts..U are doing a nice job!
February 22, 2013 at 5:02pm     
cherc
@Jayme I'm a little tired of the flower painting, and would rather have a lighter, feeling to the room than the heavy black frame lends to. (well, except the piano probably makes that hard too ;) But, I really don't have another space to put it, and I'm a little worried about storing it in my basement right now as there is so much going on down there.
February 23, 2013 at 10:28am     
Jayme H.
I really liked that rectangular painting behind the settee..have u tried turning it the other way?
February 23, 2013 at 10:46am     
ptmatthews
I like the "before" pictures best. Maybe you are like me and just need to move things around periodically. I move pictures, mirrors, and accessories around every New Year. I put some things away, and get some things out that have been in storage. Maybe add something new. I think you've done a fantastic job and should go with your gut. Trust your instincts.
February 23, 2013 at 10:53am     
libradesigneye
cherc - it may not be in the budget, but I think that you will be tired of the flower painting until you frame it in something lighter, possible silvery to add to the reflective pieces you have going on here - matted in silver rice paper for instance - the black is what you are reacting to, not the art. Go back to my first comments - if that were done, I think you would love it wherever you put it. And I echo ptmatthews - you have great instincts, it is fun to try new things, and you got one or two great ideas - shifting the piano, balancing girl and boy tones - you have a wonderful room.
February 23, 2013 at 12:34pm     
tboneill
I also like your before the best. Put a big gold round mirror on settee wall, remove fake flowers, add height to antique chest with different accessories, maybe reupholster armless chair someday... Otherwise I love(d) your space! Clean eclectic.
February 23, 2013 at 5:58pm     
traditionalguy467
Hi cherc! I think what is most interesting about this room, is the eclectic mix of furniture and art. Just from viewing the pictures, you can tell you love color, the room is bright and inviting, and your personality definitely shines through. Congratulations on having a home that looks lived in, as opposed to the generic decorating, that seems to be so prevalent these days. You can tell a person would be made to feel welcome in this home. You have some beautiful pieces with delicate lines, and it's just a matter of coming up with a functional arrangement, and some slight upgrading. Having grown up in a home, with a mother, who was always moving furniture around in our family room, I understand your dilemma. First off, the space behind the settee, which looks navy blue to me is wasted space. Your couch has beautiful lines,and should be on the wall where the ivory sideboard is located. spaced approximately in the middle, and a little to the left. If you want the mirror, this would be a spot for it, although you have some beautiful pieces of suitable art that would be fine. Place the round wood table to the left of the sofa, if it will still fit with the couch on this wall, tall floor lamp to the right of the sofa. The settee will form an L with the couch, and sit under the living room window, but not exactly center, more to the right, nearer to the couch and table, and eventually get a round table cloth with some color, such as the rusty orange color on the chair, and in the tall picture, that has a hint of that same color. Coffee table to go in front of settee. Two options for you to consider. Place ivory buffet to the left of living room window with a table runner, such as a Kamal runner in ivory and orange on it with a lamp on it as well, with possibly the large art piece behind it. Another option would be to place ivory buffet to the left of piano with a lamp on it, tall painting behind it. If placed on wall to the left of living room window, rusty, orange chair to go in front of it, and a little to the left, placed at approximately the angle you have now, looking toward the sofa. Chrome and glass table to the left of piano, with doll on it and one of the lights, if ivory sideboard is not placed here. Add some coordinating pillows like Keitha suggested, bottom left ones, and perhaps a stripe on the sofa. or a solid, just make sure it picks up the same rusty, orange color to tie in the whole seating arrangement. Also, a small area rug in this same color would anchor this group. You love color, consider a solid shag in this color as well. Two other things, the art group to the left of the living room window is not pleasing to the eye, consider placing this group, with larger picture on top, and the two smalller below for a more pleasing effect. I would place them on the small wall to the right of the piano, or even flanking the mirror, if you decide to do that behind the couch. I think similar frames would make the grouping more cohesive, as you mentioned you have numerous black frames. I sincerely feel the major obstacles to this room, amount to nothing more than poor placement of some beautiful and vivid works of art, no cohesion, as to color and pillow placement, all minor things. One other thing I noticed, I wonder if you have ever considered the piano being put further down the wall towards the family room entrance, facing the opposite direction, with the ivory buffet to the right, on the back of the entrance way wall, perhaps with a runner and lamp in that corner? Once you have the furniture in an acceptable plan, and to your satisfaction, all will fall into place. Most importantly, although suggestions are appreciated, don't allow them to stifle your creativity, it's what makes your personal style unique. This room is a reflection of you and your family, enjoy the quest! Best of luck!
February 24, 2013 at 5:35am     
cherc
@Jayme, yes the painting can be turned any direction and it could go over the settee.
@ptmatthews & traditional guy I've tried most furniture layouts, yes I like to move my furniture around. A lot. . . . (and should have taken picture each time! This time my goal was to open up the entrance by front door more, it gets so crowed. My son has grown a foot in 1year and is now almost 5'10"! The house is feeling like a shoe box =)
I've never tried the piano closer to the family room entrance. I think if the space were bigger I would like that.
Here are a few more pics of the suggested arrangements...why not =) I think if the settee were off center in front of the window I'd want to add window panels. This gives an idea of how big the room is, and how much space we have at the entrance of fam room. The Ivory buffet will fit nicely beside piano. It won't fit on the back of the entrance wall, as I shortened that when we moved in and it's only 2'.
Here is a pic of another set of chairs I could put back in front of the window.
Again, thanks for the thoughtful comments! You are all VERY kind.
@libradesigneye. Yes, I want to lighten up the frame and the silver rice paper and frame sounds beautiful!
@tboneil Thanks for liking my space! I like the gold mirror idea, definitely, and I have removed the fake pink flowers. I think if I could reupholster the settee I would like it beside the piano with a gold mirror over it as well. I'm really enjoying all the ideas, options etc. Way too fun.
February 24, 2013 at 11:59am   
cherc
other chairs
February 24, 2013 at 12:00pm     
cherc
Ok, it's dark in the room right now, so hard for me to photograph. I like the layout, the room seems much more open. I still have a hard time with the settee and piano both being large brown objects. Ideas on what color/pattern would be good for the settee?
February 28, 2013 at 6:17am   
kathy
I personally liked your first layout the best - but that maybe because you are still moving things around so haven't put in all the accessories that made the first so interesting and inviting.

Just a comment with regards to your traditional Chinese floral - I think it's supposed to be hung vertically. Traditional Chinese characters are written down, but right to left, so those characters should be in upper right of picture. I can't see the characters (nor could I read them if I could see!), so it's just a guess on my part. Look at stems/leaves of the flowers - can you tell which way is up? If your orange chair were beside the piano as you originally had, then the Chinese floral could hang vertically between chair and piano. I think it would look good, and not overpower the wall the way it does when hung horizantally, on any of your walls. Think about it.
February 28, 2013 at 7:05am   
cherc
Well, you're right most are hung/written vertical. However, this is a gift from several Dr.s in Beijing, and we hung it vertical prior to one of their visits. Needless to say, they had a good laugh and said this one is horizontal. Not fair!! LOL Anyhow, I think it could be hung vertical like you're saying and could look better in the room, no one's going to know now anyways ;) I really like the suggestions of changing the framing to silver and would like to do that when I can afford it. It's had this frame a long time. I could also store it.
Thank you for the layout input. I've been struggling with this.
February 28, 2013 at 7:40am   
kathy
Just when you think you know something, they can go and change on you! As you say, not fair!
February 28, 2013 at 7:46am     
cherc
After pulling the Chinese painting out of the frame, it stuck it back in, and put the whole piece vertical in the powder room. It looks great!
February 28, 2013 at 9:32am   
kathy
yeah!
My chinese painting - won at a school raffle while we lived in Shanghai a few years ago.
February 28, 2013 at 10:44am     
kathy
hmm - the colours look like crap! In real painting all colours are more vivid and the mat is yellowy cream. Walls are also yellow-beige.
February 28, 2013 at 10:50am   
anne dee
@cherc I hope you don't mind my saying but with all this changing your room has lost all personality. The first pictures posted were very vibrant and lively oozing personality. Maybe a few tweeks were needed but that was about it. Our spaces represent who we are( including your travel pieces) not what someone else thinks we should be. In truth I have not read all the posts I just scrolled down and saw the different pics of your space and not one has improved on the original IMHO
February 28, 2013 at 11:08am     
Jayme H.
I like how the tables and frames now tie in together...the room is becoming more unified.
February 28, 2013 at 1:02pm     
cherc
Kathy that's beautiful! How fun to live in Shanghai for a few years. Thanks for posting =) So, in my powder room I have a more contemporary mirror and other picture both with black frames. It looks like it was planned to be there. I must be ready for something really different in the living room.
February 28, 2013 at 1:03pm   
cherc
Anne Dee thank you! I'm glad you liked how it looked at first =) The room probably won't last very long without personality.... I think I'm ready for this room to be as light feeling as possible, and still have the piano. I really agree about travel pieces. Changing this room is causing a domino effect on the other rooms, but I think I have some things that won't feel as heavy in the room.
February 28, 2013 at 1:10pm   
cherc
Jayme-also thank you. I've realized that I don't want to be tied to the orange in this room. I don't even like it that much!! So, I'm going to try for blues and greens with lighter frames, silver etc. and see what happens.
February 28, 2013 at 1:14pm     
anne dee
@cherc let's hope that in your "new design environment" the real Cherc comes thru.
Good luck. Have fun. I'm sure you'll be successful!!
February 28, 2013 at 1:37pm   
cherc
Thanks anne dee...hope so!
February 28, 2013 at 5:37pm   
pippeetter
Did you try piano in the corner? Long sofa up where piano currently is? (Along facing down) smaller sofa under window ish
March 3, 2013 at 2:15am     
cherc
Yes, and it was too big. Mostly because there is a 2'wall where the piano is now. The settee looks good under the window though. I had the piano in the opposite corner and the settee at the entrance originally. I was just trying to give the room a more open feel when you come in the front door.
March 3, 2013 at 1:20pm   
cherc
Well... I don't have more pics to post yet, but Orange Chair is staying in this room. Poor thing really isn't comfortable to sit in for a long time (as is). So...it's back, and dashed are my hopes of a light shimmery room. haha I'm still looking into all different art than was in this room originally, and if anyone stops by I'd still love ideas.
March 5, 2013 at 12:14pm