Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Area rug design vs curtain design??
bml1996
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Remodeling my family room. Walls will be a Behr Russian Blue. I want to use a yellow/gold accent color scheme for area rug, curtains and sofa pillows. I found area carpet and curtains I love but I think BOTH together in front of the sofa and window their designs might be to busy or clashing?? Rug is stripped design and curtains is diamond design both with the yellow accent color. Thoughts on both to busy together or select just one of them. See pics of both and the UN-Remodeled area. Will be using same brown sofa so I included pic of accent pillow as well.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bml1996
Here is a shot of the Russian blue paint tht was used in my bedroom. Will be using this for the family room.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 10:35AM
bml1996
Lastly, yes the tile floor will be replaced with laminate wood floor like a medium to light brown
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 10:37AM
Jayme H.
I like your colors. I like the look of a larger scale pattern mixed with a smaller scale pattern. Sorry those pillows cut off!
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 10:52AM
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
I agree with Jayme, like the stripe with the diamond. Yellow pillow is too jarring.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:11AM
bml1996
Aww cool. I love both designs and colors which is why I want to use them. But then started thinking if that small space would be to busy with the striped rug then look up and you got diamonds lol to much pattern up and down were my thoughts but you both think not. Which I like because I really do want to use both!! :)
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:24AM
Jayme H.
How big are the diamonds? I was a little worried the two patterns were too close in scale..Hard to tell by pic
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 11:25AM
bml1996
If I recall the diamonds aRe about 6" each. The stripped carpet will be 4x6
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:29AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Agree with Jayme. do not like the 2 patterns in such a large size in the same scale. I like the rug, but would only use the diamond pattern for pillows..I would do a solid color on the drapery. Use the rug colors throughout the room..Lamps, lamp shades, pillows, other small chair/ artwork, etc.
3 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:30AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would buy a larger rug..make sure the feet of the furniture are on the rug.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:31AM
bml1996
@Barbara, perfect! Using the yellow from the carpet or the diamond drapes is what I have planned to use throughout the room. What color do you suggest for the drapes? I used a chocolate brown with a thin blue stripe that matches the wall color in my room. See pic. I wonder how it would look with the stripped carpet. So placing a 5x8 carpet would leave about 2-3 inch gap between sofa on right and TV on the left. But that TV will be replace with a newer one on a stand. How much of the carpet should be placed under the sofa??
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:48AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would choose a drapery that is close to your wall color..maybe a shade either directions. When one or the other is much darker than the other, it makes the room smaller because your eyes will always go there and not to where you want them to go. I would choose the lightest gray in the rug for my drapery..simple, no pattern, great texture.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
Help I'm obsessed with BEIGE
I feel like my living room is too beige and boring....
Please comment on my floorplan for my family
This is the floorplan for a family home (so far my...
Should I stay or should I go? Said the rug
I just received my rug to go in the dinning room. Table...
HELP! Where to buy inexpensive oversized art?
I know, the title itself is an oxymoron. I am looking...
Dining room wall color help!
Georgian Colonial. BM Balboa mist in the foyer & halls....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.