Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New Cabinet door dilemma
denisegall
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi
I would like to switch our current cabinet doors out for a darker wood (maybe cherry or mahogany). I think it would look nice with our light floors and stainless appliances. However, I really don't want to go through the mess and expense of changing out all the cabinets too. I was thinking I could paint the cabinets (you would really just see the tops, sides, and the shelves in the corner). So it would be a two-tone look, and pretty dark, but again, we have light floors so I think it would work, but need the advise of others before going forward! Thanks for your help! Denise
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Liza Jane Interiors
Denise, I really don't mind the grey...think it looks nice. How about changing out the hardware to something darker and painting the island a different color? Save you lots of time and a bit of money.
2 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:13AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Did you ever look at Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations? You could paint your entire cabinets instead of replacing doors. It is inexpensive and easy to you. It is sold at Home Depot. Check out this web site. http://cabinets.rustoleumtransformations.com/
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 11:14AM
yvesun
The cupboards look great! Maybe paint your walls a brighter colour as the room is too monochromatic. An accent colour behind your cookbooks and a runner in front of your sink, might be the extra pop you are looking for.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 11:29AM
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
The cabinets are really nice. If you choose to paint make sure you use a sprayer and not hand brush. But I wouldn't paint them they are too nice. I would change the pulls out and add color to the backsplash and maybe consider running LED light tape along the top. Then reconsider the wall paint something bolder and works as a contrast.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:17PM
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
i like it as it is :))))
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:33PM
cyn222
Very easy to make them darker with paint. Rustoleum has a kit out that works well. Don't forget the kickboard at the bottom. Sprayer works best, roller second option.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:36PM
qhayes11
Paint the walls a shade of burnt orange, add black pulls for thed cabinets,add a black faucet,and paint the island top black.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 5:42PM
coratan
I would paint maybe a soft red, or orange. I would also paint the back of my shelves.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 8:36AM
feeny
I think it would be a mistake to paint your lovely cabinets. Your kitchen looks beautiful. Embrace it!
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:10AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
i agree with feeny, as usual! Accessorize...a rug, some fruit...some live plants or flowers...
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 10:16AM
lefty47
HI -- I understand your need for change but if you paint or get new doors ,don't do the two color thing of having the doors one color or wood and having the rest something else . Weather you paint or change ,-everything should be the same .
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 10:23AM