Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Really need help for kitchen ideas
stephmorris123
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Soon to redo. Thinking of antiquing cabinets, vinyl wood floor and maybe granite countertops? Overwhelmed. Can't change layout. Cabinets are in great shape, just don't like the dark color. Dont get me started on our 80's floor. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
collettec
I think I would paint the cabinets and island a solid color rather than antiquing it, which I think could make it look dated. Given that there are so many cabinets and so much wood, I would go light, perhaps white or off white. The window treatments could also use updating. I think painting the cabinets and walls, and I would paint the walls all one color, and changing out the hardware, flooring and counter would make a big difference in this kitchen.
3 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:48AM
PRO
Kelli Kaufer Designs
What is your style? From the pictures, it looks like you are more tradtitional with the red walls and the oak furniture... Do you want white cabinets for a casual traditional look, gray for a modern traditional style, blue for a modern fun style? Which all of these can be antiqued. Another option is a white on top and a dark on the bottom! To add more interest and for a low cost, add glass panel door fronts on a few of the cabinets. Are the appliances staying the same or are you replacing them?
2 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:49AM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Paint the cabinets, add new counter tops. They make high definition laminates and products that look like granite without the expense of granite. Painted cabinets and a wood looking floor is a good combination but a wood looking floor and wood cabinets will not help the heavy dark look you are trying to eliminate. When you are all done you might consider a medium color in place of the dark red and it should brighten up and hopefully make your dreams come true.
5 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 11:58AM
PRO
The L.A. Lady
I glanced at your ideabooks and if they're an indication of your ideal kitchen, I'd say skip the antiquing and go with white or a solid light color. Antiquing can be great but it also makes a kitchen look busy. When you add that to granite and wood floors, it might be overwhelming. If you like the "antique" style, display it in the cabinet hardware, plumbing fixtures and light fixtures. Those details can really set the tone for a kitchen style.

I'm not sure if it was just the photography but your kitchen looks pretty dark and white would help brighten it up. Once you have white cabinets you can pick almost any color counter top. If you had the opportunity to put in some new lighting, it could make all the difference. My in laws put in vinyl wood floors in their kitchen and it really works.
5 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:00PM
stephmorris123
Thanks for your suggestions! I like the ideas of brightening up the room.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:06PM
stephmorris123
Our style is more traditional and yes we will get rid of the red walls.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:08PM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with not antiquing the cabinets as you are simply replacing one dark color with another. Perhaps paint them cream or gray color.

4 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:33PM
stephmorris123
What about painting the cabinets an off white and glazing in the cracks and crevices? Maybe adding some trim to add some interest?
4 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 12:53PM
PRO
MarbleWarehousecom
Replace the countertop with granite slab and use light color on your cabinet.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 1:03PM
stephmorris123
Should we take out the softest?
1 Like   March 3, 2013 at 7:55AM
stephmorris123
Should we paint the cabinets off white, then glaze them.
1 Like   March 10, 2013 at 7:56PM
freedomgirl
I just updated my kitchen. No layout change either. I was on houzz continually, saving pictures of my favorite kitchens. A trend started to emerge......I like light colored cabinets....I like medium/dark wood floors and I love natural stone. I found a picture of a kitchen that really spoke to me and I tried to duplicate it. I had my cabinets lacquered a creamy white, I already had wood floors, and I added a black granite countertop. I bought a new stainless stove because my twenty yr. old cream colored one just looked wrong with all the newness : ). I am now agonizing over choosing a backsplash. This all took me four months so far and I am still not done. But, don't underestimate the cost of a kitchen facelift......things are expensive. So once you have a "vision" of the overall look you want, change the floors first. It will make you feel instantly better! My gut tells me those soffits are going to be fine, the lighting they provide is going to wash nicely over your newly updated cabinets. Have fun!
3 Likes   March 10, 2013 at 9:17PM
stephmorris123
Thanks, sound like we have similar taste. I am thinking the same overhaul. Just fixing the ceiling now and saving money!
1 Like   March 11, 2013 at 5:14AM
stephmorris123
Started the project. Need a light over breakfast bar. Need to fill space and can't take out soffit. Can't find anything. Help!
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 7:03PM
pmanastasia
You could use some chalk paint...Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Beautiful colors, and is supposedly really easy to use. No prepping of surfaces needed.
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 7:31PM
pmanastasia
That is, use the Annie Sloan paint for the cabinets. Then, lighten up the walls.
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 7:32PM
PRO
OnePlan
I'm with LA lady !! Great advice !!!
0 Likes   April 17, 2013 at 8:58PM
stephmorris123
What do you think? Cabinet sample and new countertop sample.
5 Likes   April 29, 2013 at 5:50PM
stephmorris123
Making progress. This is our new countertop and sample cabinet. Just primed the walls. Any ideas for the color on the walls?
1 Like   May 26, 2013 at 7:21PM
collettec
I would pull from one of the lighter colors in the countertop. Perhaps one of the warm gray tones or a greige for the paint color.
3 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 5:20AM
handymam
It's amazing how much better everything looks with just covering the red up with primer. You are on the way to a bright and light kitchen! Good luck with the painting!
2 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 5:34AM
stephmorris123
Sorry dumb question...Greige? What is that?
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 6:11AM
lipierce
It's a color between gray and beige. I learned it from houzz too.
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 6:20AM
collettec
It's a combination of beige and gray, so it's useful in a lot of settings. Taupe is another color that means the same thing. Similar choices would be a warm shade of gray or a cool shade of beige, it makes it easier to match more colors with it, and given that your counter looks like it has both beige and gray I think it might work well. Really like the choices you've made for the counter and with the cabinets - think it will really look good and brighten and modernize this kitchen!
1 Like   May 27, 2013 at 6:28AM
stephmorris123
Thanks.
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 6:39AM
0825sam
For a specific color recommendation - I just painted my home office moth grey from Pittsburgh paints (the next darker shade had griege as part of its name). It's a nice light color in a otherwise pretty dark room. I think it could work for you - whites stand out nicely against it.
0 Likes   May 27, 2013 at 6:40AM
stephmorris123
Countertops in. Starting on cabinets. Need to think about backsplash. Any ideas?
7 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 3:34PM
handymam
Ohh!! they look great!
1 Like   May 30, 2013 at 3:35PM
handymam
Do you like the color of the wood any better now that the new countertops are in, btw?
0 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 3:36PM
collettec
Love the new countertops - they're so pretty! Perhaps something like a solid color subway tile or solid color glass mosaic tiles.
0 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 4:32PM
handymam
Definitely something solid so it doesn't fight with the granite. Someomne talked about cream subway tiles with a crackle finish that was subtle. Just go shopping and see what you like! For me, too much choice is a bad thing!
0 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 4:36PM
stephmorris123
The cabinets are being painted that is why all the doors are gone. We added extra trim for interest that is why they are different colors. I will post again when they are done.
3 Likes   May 30, 2013 at 6:09PM
collettec
Just wanted to note that in terms of wall color and backsplash - I know I had noted that greige would work as a wall color with your countertop, but given that the counter and the cabinets and a wood laminate floor will all be neutral, a color might be something that you could choose to do for the backsplash. If you did want to do a color for the backsplash, you could use some variation in shade of the same color of the backsplash for the wall color. The paint color is usually the last thing chosen after everything else since it's much easier to match. Just wanted to note that in case you wanted to add color, but think it would look great in neutrals as well. Would just work to make sure any color worked with possible visible colors in adjoining rooms. Good luck - like your choices so far!
1 Like   June 1, 2013 at 12:45PM
stephmorris123
Just finished up cabinets today. Next is backsplash. Maybe natural stone on the diamond shape with an accent piece every so often. What do you think so far?
21 Likes   June 7, 2013 at 3:01PM
imdb
I am so impressed! It doesn't even look like the same room! And the floor isn't nearly the eyesore it was before. Beautiful!
1 Like   June 7, 2013 at 3:11PM
stephmorris123
The floor is going soon! I can't wait. Hardwood floor
1 Like   June 7, 2013 at 3:47PM
collettec
Looks great! Like your idea for the backsplash with the stone in a diamond pattern. Given that there is some difference in shade between the warmer shade of the cabinets and the cooler off white color in the countertop, I would consider going with a natural stone close to the base color of the cabinets or countertop - fairly subdued so it doesn't compete with the granite. What a difference so far!
1 Like   June 8, 2013 at 9:00AM
stephmorris123
Backsplash. Will post when put up.
2 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 12:34PM
handymam
Love it, great choice!
0 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 12:36PM
collettec
Looks great!
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 5:26AM
jesker
What a transformation! Beautiful, can't wait to see more pictures. Adding the extra trim on the peninsula was a great idea, it all looks very pulled together.
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 5:36AM
Amy Robinson
Did you paint the cabinets or hire a pro??? What color did you use?
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 7:23AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
It would be easy to install a vinyl wood-look flooring in the kitchen to help reduce that 80's feel. I'd say the next step would be to reface the cabinetry. You can basically get whatever look you're interested in, without replacing cabinetry or changing your layout. You can learn more about the benefits of cabinet refacing with a company like us here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/cabinet-refacing-page/

You should consider updating the appliances to stainless. Great value and if you ever decide to move they're a big selling point.

You had also mentioned granite countertops. You can also reface over the counters you currently have without replacing. I'm not sure what look you're going for, but since you mentioned not liking the darker cabinetry, you could go with an antiqued white cabinetry and a granite like our king ivory, which you can see here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/

Hope this helps!
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 8:15AM
apple_pie_order
The new granite counters and new paint on the cabinets look great. I look forward to seeing the new hardwood floors you have chosen, too.
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 8:33AM
stephmorris123
Thanks. And yes, we hired a pro to paint the cabinets. He did a great job.
3 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 8:08PM
lakewoods
We are thinking of painting the cabinets as you did, they look great! How expensive is it to have someone do it professionally?
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 9:25PM
stephmorris123
We did the extra trim on the cabinets ourselves. The paint was professional. You asked how much. For our kitchen it was about 3,000.
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 12:52PM
stephmorris123
How is this tile with the counter?
1 Like   July 5, 2013 at 4:13PM
stephmorris123
How does this look? Just looking at color at this point.
0 Likes   July 6, 2013 at 6:55AM
collettec
I would consider going with a taupe (or greige) color tile. You have both the warmer colors of the cabinets and a more white base but with lots of browns and some gray in the countertop. I think a taupe, with the combination of the gray and brown, would serve to bring all the colors together more.
2 Likes   July 6, 2013 at 8:30AM
ajo3141
The cabinets and counter look awesome. I agree with posts above that suggest cream or taupe subway tile. I think smaller pieces of colored tile look dated already. I'd keep the look going clean and modern like you already are. Just my two sense.
2 Likes   July 6, 2013 at 8:46AM
ajo3141
Cents. Ha! Don't take advice from someone who can't spell. :)
0 Likes   July 6, 2013 at 8:47AM
apple_pie_order
A yellower beige tile would be better (on my monitor). The mosaic is too busy: the granite is the star of the show.
0 Likes   July 6, 2013 at 8:59AM
stephmorris123
Still working. Wood flooring is next. Progress has been made!
2 Likes   August 11, 2013 at 5:18PM
collettec
Really like it! It will look great with the new floor!
0 Likes   August 11, 2013 at 5:40PM
brickln
This has to be one of the best updates of a kitchen that I've ever seen. You even made that 80's floor look fabulous!
Congrats- can't wait to see its completion.
0 Likes   August 11, 2013 at 7:22PM
abbyjean
TRULY amazing! I hope you smile every day you walk in there and see this master piece!!!
0 Likes   August 11, 2013 at 8:03PM
cathieg
You must feel so accomplished, because that is a fantastic make over! Wow! Well done.
1 Like   August 11, 2013 at 9:33PM
sullivbl
I like the idea of painting the cabinets, but if you are going to do that, you need to have showstopper granite and floors.
0 Likes   August 11, 2013 at 11:43PM
PRO
Goldcon Construction
Wow good job! Looks great
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 12:39AM
stephmorris123
Thanks. We have been working hard. We cant wait to get in the floor. Thanks for everyones input. It has been really helpful!
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 5:00AM
handymam
steph, great job! Hard to believe it is the same room, and the same cabinets! I am more ready to paint my cabinets now than before! :)
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 5:11AM
Joy Hoover
I am loving it all! Makes me want to start painting cabinets too lol. Awesome job, can't wait to see the wood flooring too :-)
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 1:09PM
cemma1
A back splash can date a kitchen. Stay simple. Good washable paint. Add interest with pretty accessories.
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 1:20PM
handymam
cemma, they are way past that already, lol. You have to read the whole thread...
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 3:01PM
PRO
Light In Art
We make Contemporary Stained Glass Lighting and Art and one of our pieces is called the Plice; it would look beautiful in your kitchen and it would definitely light up your kitchen. Visit our website at http://www.lightinart.com/ to see some options.
0 Likes   August 12, 2013 at 3:26PM
stephmorris123
The plice is really nice but we just installed a new pendant light. We are keeping things pretty simple. Thanks for the suggestion. Plice is also probably out of our budget.
1 Like   August 13, 2013 at 1:37PM
handymam
What is left to do steph, just the floor?
0 Likes   August 13, 2013 at 4:52PM
stephmorris123
The biggest hurdle is the floor. It should go in this weekend. After that, just some little things like caulking, electrical and quarter round. I will need advice with window treatments and decorating. I need a "pop" color to start my decorating.
1 Like   August 13, 2013 at 5:12PM
handymam
You are doing a wonderful job!
0 Likes   August 13, 2013 at 5:12PM
stephmorris123
Thanks! This app has really helped. It is really nice to get all the comments.
2 Likes   August 13, 2013 at 5:14PM
stephmorris123
After pictures! Yeah we are done. I will be putting some decorations and window treatment together but the basics are done! Thanks for everyone's input. All of your comments and pictures have really helped!
4 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 6:48AM
abbyjean
You have the FUN stuff left to do now. Enjoy this new area in your home!!!
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 7:35AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
I think a vinyl wood floor would be a great start, as well as the granite countertops. Lumber Liquidators has a nice selection of vinyl wood flooring.

Since your cabinetry is in good condition but you cannot change the layout, you should reface them instead of replacing. Our page on cabinetry refacing is really helpful, check it out here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/blog/cabinet-refacing/

I think an antique white door would really work well in your kitchen. You should also consider painting the kitchen to something lighter, like BM Revere Pewter possibly.

Lastly, I think our King Ivory granite countertops would look great in this kitchen remodel. You can also find them from the above link.

Good luck, hope this helps!
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 7:42AM
apple_pie_order
Congratulations on finishing. It looks great!
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 7:56AM
collettec
What a difference! You did a great job!
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 8:02AM
handymam
What a great job, and it seems like it went so quickly, well for us anyway, not doing the work, lol! You should repost in the Before and after section for people that haven't followed this thread.

Enjoy the new kitchen!!
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 1:20PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
You could paint them white. Brush nickel long pulls on corners run vertically. Change all hardware to brush nickel . Granite in a mix of grays, black and cream. Floors dark. Stainless appl and sink faucet. Brush nickel. Roman shades on windows. Paint walls a dive gray get samples try on wall. Art on wall where table is tall and wide. In reds.
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 1:35PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Counter accents in stainless. New dining set in dark wood. Bar stools more modern. Get away from country look. Go more modern.
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 1:36PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Didn't know that was a slider. Add nothing to window leave bare. If not getting new appl change out stove to match black. Remove all small art from walls add nothing. No clutter.
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 1:39PM
stephmorris123
travisinteriors...I am not sure I understand your comments. You have to see the first picture in the post and the last.
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 2:12PM
abbyjean
Travis does not know you have done a remodel as she only looked at the first posts here.
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 2:21PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Sorry I didn't see pics sorry. You have done a great job. You have very good taste go with it. Disregard all I said above. Duh!
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 2:44PM
collettec
Just wanted to say i agree with Handymam that you might want to show your beginning and last pictures in the before and after section of houzz, so people can see what you've done. I know you've put a lot of thought, time and work into this and it shows! It looks great!
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 2:48PM
stephmorris123
Thanks! I posted in before and after.
1 Like   August 20, 2013 at 2:54PM
Judy M
Great job!
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 3:14PM
doogmermollietorr
i love ur work, we are about to start our kitchen extension :)
0 Likes   August 20, 2013 at 3:48PM
jesker
Awesome! Is that a piece of your same granite on the little side table? Clever idea, and even if it is not the same, the table was a great find and blends in very well. The kitchen looks great, and that seating area is so inviting!
0 Likes   August 25, 2013 at 12:27PM