powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help...awnings and siding to go with brick???
aly1103
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into this brick ranch and want to change the awning color as well as the siding...not sure on colors...any suggestions are welcome!
Thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
DIAspoton
are you sure you want to have awnings?
February 21, 2013 at 2:07pm   
Amy Payne Kliner
Nihbbvv b nJz
February 21, 2013 at 2:12pm   
Alesha Zacher
If you REALLY want/need the awnings I would stick with the idea to make the disappear in the bricks by painting the white ruffle edge and sides the same red color. That would be better from the street view. As for the siding, I don't know what look you are going for but if you really wanted to make the "screaming" white disappear you could try a grey or brown that is in the bricks and it would possibly blend in better.
February 21, 2013 at 2:22pm     
aly1103
Not sure we still want the awnnings...unsure of what we will find underneath a little aprehensive about removing them for that reason. The siding is a mint green.
February 21, 2013 at 2:26pm   
mdamron61
Remove the awnings and do white siding
February 21, 2013 at 2:32pm   
PRO
Beverly Anderson Interior Design
I would remove the awnings and paint the siding a color darker than the brick and match the front door color to the siding color.
February 21, 2013 at 2:41pm     
DIAspoton
okay good. so you're not in love with the awnings. be brave and make them go far away.
not a fan of white with dark brick. a charcoal or dark choclate is much richer.

i may take flack for this but i'd paint the brick and siding a soft white. the peak a light dove grey. the trim charcoal. the door color aqua with brushed nickel hardware.

take away the shrubs from the porch area. add porch railing with the opening opposite the front door. install a winding path from the driveway to the frontdoor, redirecting traffic from the side.plant a low growing bed at least 12 feet wide between the path and porch.

you'll want to hire a landscape designer to draw up a plan.any good nursery can recommend some. it's okay to implement it in stages as budget allows. be honest with her about your budget.
some people would finish the house with an iron star or something on the peak.

lots of other ideas but these are the most budget friendly with impact that come to mind.
February 21, 2013 at 3:12pm   
mdamron61
I only recommended white siding because the garage door looks white and the windows and trims are white. Remove awnings? Not totally necessary. Paint the awnings black?
February 21, 2013 at 3:19pm   
aly1103
First time on this site and posting...love these ideas...keep them coming!!! Thanks!!!
February 21, 2013 at 3:59pm   
PRO
Rustic Brick and Stone
I personally love the look of white with red brick. However, the siding is a bit off-putting with so much white. I'm not sure what color would go well with the brick, but definitely darker. I do think removing the awning and perhaps adding a pergola/wood feature would be nice (I'm a huge fan of open-air structures outside of the house; plus, it provides shade). The first picture would be an idea of some features you could use to replace your existing awnings over your windows. without creating too much "dead space." You can then remove the awning over you porch and create a true pergola with the same style (pictures two). You would just want to keep the stylistic components the same. If you were to paint the garage, painting the siding the same color would be a nice touch.

Hemingway's Cottage
Attached Pergola
Parkinson Avenue West
February 21, 2013 at 4:12pm   
niftythrifty
We bought a brick ranch, and I really didn't like the color of the brick. We struggled with colors for the trim and garage door and front door, because nothing looked good with the brick. I like the look of painted brick, but read that it may not hold up well, so we had the brick stained instead. (It's a permanent process and doesn't chip or peel). So glad we did! It allowed us to completely change the look of the property. So...I'm with DIAspoton - sounds like a great color scheme to me. Otherwise, nix the awnings, paint the siding and a garage door a neutral tan (with a hint of rust) to tie in with the brick. Front door should be it's own fun accent color.
February 21, 2013 at 4:17pm   
DIAspoton
go to browse rooms
exteriors
key word : brick with charcoal trim

you'll see many examples of what it can do for red brick because it's rich but not a stark contrast.
February 21, 2013 at 4:25pm   
Rosemary Freitas
Get rid of the awnings and look for a rich color deep in that brick. Then use it to paint. I will be quite classy rather than cute which is what you now have.
February 21, 2013 at 4:40pm