Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Landscape help
yazfletch
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi,
This planter runs the entire yard. It needs serious help and I'm at a loss of what to do. Any plant suggestions are much appreciated. We may move so not looking to do anything structurally different right now. I'd like a plant screen as our neighbors are RIGHT THERE but I don't really want to wait, looking for instant gratification ;) Oh and it isn't rounded...panorama rookie here.
Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
fpatel
Three things would Be helpful:
1. Where do you live?
2. What direction does the wall face?
3. How wide is the planter from the front to the wall?
February 21, 2013 at 3:26pm   
yazfletch
Hi fpatel,
1. Orange County in Southern California...I'm zone 9 or 23 depending which book ;)
2. When looking at the wall I watch the sun set so the plants get quite a bit of sun as it passes over the house.
3. It's about a foot and a half :)
Can't wait to hear what you're thinking!
:)
February 21, 2013 at 4:07pm   
yazfletch
I hope you can make out the three sets of plants I just picked up.... I think I need two more sets and perhaps more fillers. Going to remove all the calla lilies possibly keeping some for filler but not sure they go anymore. Thoughts?
Thanks! :)
February 26, 2013 at 2:14pm   
Danielle B
I think your idea of a plant screen would really work well. Ask your local nursery if they have fast growing climbers.
February 26, 2013 at 2:23pm     
fpatel
I think one way to get some instant height to your bed is to put a tall rectangular trellis every so often. Then pick a vine or climbing rose that works well with your flower colors. With all the sun it should fill in pretty quickly.

Something longer term and even bolder would be to espalier a plant along the wall. 18 inches isn't a lot of room for a root ball but I have a neighbor who did this in a tight space and it is a great focal point, if you like that look. She did a camellia.
February 26, 2013 at 3:31pm     
fpatel
Also I can't tell exactly what all you have already planted but you may also want to make sure you have a plant that would slightly trail over the short front wall every so often to visually break up that long line.
February 26, 2013 at 3:36pm     
PRO
Urban Oasis
I don't know what style your house and garden are but clumping bamboo is one of the fastest growing screens. Just make sure not to get running bamboo which is extremely invasive.
February 26, 2013 at 4:45pm     
yazfletch
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions! I sincerely appreciate it and will post a photo once it's done...I think it will be more of a phase 1 photo.

Oh and I love the espalier look...not sure if I can master it but I may try!
February 26, 2013 at 8:58pm