powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need input on sectional....and decorating a large room.
nwhouse
February 21, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am leaning towards (thanks to a previous feedback) of adding a large sectional that goes along the window wall and complement with a large area rug.

This room will see quite a bit of traffic and movement of school going children. What do you recommend for sectional ? brown / aqua blue / green are my favoured colors throught the house.

- a brown leather sectional with a caffe latte rug ?
- a beige/brown fabric sectional and a rug ?
- any other color / material options ?

Thank you in advance for your feedback and suggestions !
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kalyana White
With kids, I would say brown leather so it will last. Here is a design blog of someone who did just that, so thought it may help you as inspiration: http://www.thenester.com/2012/09/its-here-the-leather-sofa.html
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 4:23PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
Do not place along the window wall...chances are sofa will be over the glass which is a no-no. Along the wall where the sofa is now is good.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 4:57PM
aniluap2
Kaylana white thanks for the blog referral ...great ideas
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 5:52PM
libradesigneye
Camel slipcover so you can wash and replace - beautiful with your color scheme. See several retailers who specialize in these - you can have a summer color and winter color like i do - really fun. Leather real leather is really expensive and the kids will trash - save it for dad's armchair so he is happy guy / wait til they are older / college fund is full - I would say do not worry about sofa along that window - it is high enough you won't have a conflict.
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 6:12PM
aniluap2
Microfiber looks like suede and is easy to wash or spot clean with water. Chocolate brown is a good color with aqua/green. Look at the blog Kaylana White suggested. Leather is a also a good option and cracks an wear look good on it.
1 Like   February 21, 2013 at 6:32PM
nwhouse
Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions ; Kaylana the link to the blog is much appreciated..I really like the color of their sectional !

We have the family room which is more casual, has the tv, books, board games et all.

For this area of the house I'd like something a tad more formal where we can entertain larger groups of friends and family yet be children friendly ...
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:17PM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I think a nice olive green would be great in a solid spun polyester fabric. Microfiber gets hot in the summer. Then add aqua for accents in pillows and accessories with a bit of gold touches sprinkled in.. Leather is very costly for a sectional and you need everything for the room. A soft gold for the walls. And a large area rug that has all the colors in it. The trunk is a good wood color that would look nice with a pair of end tables in the same tone. for each end of the sectional. Add some chunky large ceramic lamps in Aqua on them. Select some larger art for the wall side of the sectional. And a mirror on the wall nest to the piano. Drapes in a ivory shear with a vine stitch overlay in olive green would look nice for window covering. Kevin
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 8:34PM
Kalyana White
You're welcome! I love her blog for design ideas. Also, we have a microfiber couch and a leather loveseat, and both have held up very well to the kids' abuse. So you can't go wrong with either choice. I'm personally preferential to the leather, so if you can splurge, go for it. Leather is timeless, and you can work it into any decor style with the change of your accessories. Good luck in whatever route you take!
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 11:35AM
carolins
If this will be a more formal room for entertaining, why don't you go for two sofas and a couple of chairs. You will be so much more flexible with your furn. arrangement and you seem to have enough room. Two brown leather sofas, two chairs (fabric), a large rug, coffee table and a couple of end tables et voilá...
Just an idea :-)
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 11:59AM
Kevin Retired Decorator
I agree with carolins more flexibility Ive had both. Unless you get a sectional with separate seating each.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:07PM
decoenthusiaste
Have never seen a microsuede that holds up well. It stretches out of shape too easily.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 12:11PM
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
Definately need some art to complete the room and make it pop. I have recently completed some that would look great. All are original acrylic paintings on heavy gallery wrapped canvas. Please contact me at julie@jul313.com for further info or check out my website at www.jul313.com.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:14PM
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architecture+Interior Design
I do like microsuede, or fabric for couches. In addition the the art, above. Light fixtures might be nice! Table lamps on end tables or floor lamps or both. Here is a page you might like:
http://www.hubbardtonforge.com
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 3:33PM
nwhouse
Thank-you all ! Your suggestions certainly had me pause and reconsider the several possible options...
I have plans to visit a custom upholstery shop and will keep the above suggestions in mind. I hope to avoid side tables and lamps in this room to keep the furniture to a minimal yet maximise seating space.. will post pictures once work is underway.

Thanks again..
0 Likes   February 25, 2013 at 11:58AM